System Restore Application encountered a Problem

When I attempt to do a System restore I get the message that System Restore
has encountered a problem and needs to close with the following; An
exception occurred while trying to run "C:\Windows\system32\shell.dll,
Control_RunDLL" "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",System".
Any clues how to rectify this situation ? My thanks - John.
2 answers Last reply
More about system restore application encountered problem

    To reinstall system restore, go to folder options, view, and check show
    hidden files & folders, un-check hide extensions of known file types, apply,
    ok.. Go to c:\windows\inf and right click the sr.inf file and click install.
    This re-installation will wipe out all preexisting restore points and you
    will be starting from scratch, so be warned. If you really need your old
    restore points wait and see if someone else has another less aggressive idea
    or registry fix...

    j;-)

    "John McCormick" wrote:

    > When I attempt to do a System restore I get the message that System Restore
    > has encountered a problem and needs to close with the following; An
    > exception occurred while trying to run "C:\Windows\system32\shell.dll,
    > Control_RunDLL" "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",System".
    > Any clues how to rectify this situation ? My thanks - John.

    Thanks J, that did the trick - John.

System32 System Restore Windows XP