ATI Radeon VE versus Matrox Millennium G450

G

Sirs,
According to Matthew Witheiler's article "Dual Display Comparison - February 2001" at www.anandtech.com the Matrox G450 is slightly more expensive, but also slightly better then then ATI Radeon VE.

Personally, after reading the specs and benchmarks of both cards, I disagree. However, I do not feel competent enough to rest assured.

I would therefore like your opinions to make up my mind on which card to choose.

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Øyvind L. Pedersen

"The secret behind success is hard work, therefore it is such a secret for many people"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't even mess with the VE when you can get an LE for the same price, with much better performance. You can enable Hyper-Z with a hack or with a bios upgrade (to retail version).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

im not sure what that one dude is talking about the LE thing but matrox is the way to go unless you also want to game. dont buy a underclock cheapo card like the LE aside fromt he fact it dosnt do dual monitor. go for the matrox if u dont care about games.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

snn47

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
It all depends on your personal priorties
Matrox is not good at Quake but in case your not looking at gaming and you would rather have Dualhead for work or Video then it's Matrox (better signal quality & software support!

@Anyone has a reference to the different G450 cards available, meaning what the abreviations e.g. what does G450DH LX what does LX stand for?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe not dual monitor, but it can do dual display to a monitor and an svideo or composite video device. Perfect for doing a display to an HDTV and a large monitor, I should think.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

the point of the post was dual monitor nit monitor tv or what ever. im sure some people care about that (however im not sure who) but for dual monitor unless he wants to buy dual video the matrox is my fave but the VE is close in quality. and i wouldnd by the LE in any case. 32 meg video was the thing like 3 years ago when my rage fury came out. im looking for more power but this dude is looking for one card that will do dual monitor. i realy dont know anyone with a HDTV but noone i know has that kinda money.

G

well there not much more if any then a reguler 32meg radeon. if he wants to do gaming along with dual monitor then thats the best bet. but the matrox is the best 2d dual monitor card. i always prafer the two card way of doing things. i use my 64meg radeon for gaming windows what ever. and lets say a 8 meg pci card for my second monitor. but then again with dual head and tripple head cards it only takes one spot. its realy up to you.