Solved

Are Intel wireless cards adequate?

I just ordered a computer with the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 wireless card.
I passed up the option to switch to a Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video wireless card instead spending the money getting a 64GB SSD and 750GB 7200 RPM HDD instead of a 32GB SSD and 1TB 5400 RPM HDD.
Did I make the right choice, or should I have gone with the Killer wireless card?
My internet only goes up to 5MB/s tops.
(I enjoy online gaming)
Thanks for any answers! :)
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about intel wireless cards adequate
  1. Best answer
    Passing on the NIC was definitely the best option. The SSD and 7200 RPM drive will give a much better experience.

The Killer NIC is a 3x3 dual-band WLAN card, while the 2230 is a 2x2 single-band WLAN chip. You likely won't notice a difference. If you find your WLAN performance is lacking, you can buy a Centrino Advanced-N 6235 which adds dual-band capability or a Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 for 3x3 dual-band (although make sure you have the 3rd antenna before buying). I personally use a 6235 in my daily driver laptop. I have nothing but good things to say about the wireless card and drivers. Range and performance are excellent. It's easily the best 2x2 dual-band 802.11n NIC on the market today and it includes Bluetooth 4.0. I replaced a 2230 with the 6235. That's not to say the 2230 was bad at all though, I just needed the dual-band capabilities. I primarily use that laptop on a university campus where the 2.4 GHz band is overcrowded. In a residential environment, the 2230 was a solid card.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 2230 also includes Bluetooth 4.0 while the 6300 does not.
  2. Best answer selected by Texiton.
  3. aicom said:
    Passing on the NIC was definitely the best option. The SSD and 7200 RPM drive will give a much better experience.

The Killer NIC is a 3x3 dual-band WLAN card, while the 2230 is a 2x2 single-band WLAN chip. You likely won't notice a difference. If you find your WLAN performance is lacking, you can buy a Centrino Advanced-N 6235 which adds dual-band capability or a Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 for 3x3 dual-band (although make sure you have the 3rd antenna before buying). I personally use a 6235 in my daily driver laptop. I have nothing but good things to say about the wireless card and drivers. Range and performance are excellent. It's easily the best 2x2 dual-band 802.11n NIC on the market today and it includes Bluetooth 4.0. I replaced a 2230 with the 6235. That's not to say the 2230 was bad at all though, I just needed the dual-band capabilities. I primarily use that laptop on a university campus where the 2.4 GHz band is overcrowded. In a residential environment, the 2230 was a solid card.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the 2230 also includes Bluetooth 4.0 while the 6300 does not.

Thanks for your answer!
    I don't know much about wireless cards, but your answer was clear and informative.
    I was just wondering if there was any major speed/latency differences.
    :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Hard Drives Laptops