blank spaces in "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"

I'm running Windows XP PRO and in the "ADD/REMOVE programs section there are
a few programs listed and there are pages and pages of blank space that I
must scroll through to get to the rest of the programs listed. This computer
is also very slow on startup and to open programs. I have always used Norton
anti-virus and kept it up to date. I also use three different anti-spywares
including the Microsoft Beta.
2 answers Last reply
More about blank spaces remove programs

    Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
    you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
    see if this is the problem.

    If it is...

    Courtesy of Kelly
    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Add or Remove - White Space
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

    [[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
    here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
    application listed:
    Start/Run/Regedit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

    AutoCad Fix
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

    Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

    ===

    I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
    shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
    registry...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    Value Name: DisplayIcon
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

    Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

    Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
    autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
    autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
    the fix than changing the -1.

    I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
    remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
    it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
    work. Until the next time. ;-)

    autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
    folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    Value Name: DisplayIcon
    Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

    autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
    %systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    Value Name: DisplayIcon
    Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
    -----
    ***
    From snowman...
    AutoCAD 2002 is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    {5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
    -----
    ***
    From anonymous poster...

    One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
    that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.
    -----

    From...
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    [[Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends
    them
    to a log file
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs

    Download the VBScript and run it. When you see the log file, copy the
    contents and paste them here.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C4470A9C-F548-46E4-91F4-4467A39AF2AD@microsoft.com,
    j.baum <j.baum@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm running Windows XP PRO and in the "ADD/REMOVE programs section there
    > are a few programs listed and there are pages and pages of blank space
    > that I must scroll through to get to the rest of the programs listed.
    > This computer is also very slow on startup and to open programs. I have
    > always used Norton anti-virus and kept it up to date. I also use three
    > different anti-spywares including the Microsoft Beta.
  2. I had the same problem until last night!

    Do a search for RemoveWhitespaceFromAddRemovePrograms

    Download the FREE, tiny program from Christensen Software

    Put it on C: drive

    Run it

    NO MORE EMPTY WHITE SPACES!!!

    Take care.....