Closed

netlogon service is missing

July 25, 2005 5:49:07 PM

On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the following
error message appers during logon attampts:

"Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
machine"

Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under services).
Also the workstation service is missing from the services list?

This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!

Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?

/Adde
--
fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
Anonymous

To get the Netlogon & Workstation services back, install Client for
Microsoft Networks.

Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close

[[The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
service. If you remove this service, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services
are also removed. When you reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks
component, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services are also reinstalled, but
the Netlogon service is not configured to depend on the Server service when
the computer starts.]]
From...
Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267

How To Install the Client for Microsoft Networks
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:52700687-3B52-46DA-B583-DD9E31E75508@microsoft.com,
Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the
> following error message appers during logon attampts:
>
> "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
> machine"
>
> Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under
> services). Also the workstation service is missing from the services list?
>
> This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!
>
> Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?
>
> /Adde
> --
> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
July 25, 2005 7:45:30 PM

Wesly,

That simple huh? Thanks very much for your help - it worked! Now what would
casuse the Client for MS Networks component to get removed if the user did
not do it?

/Adde
--

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> To get the Netlogon & Workstation services back, install Client for
> Microsoft Networks.
>
> Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
> tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
> for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close
>
> [[The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
> service. If you remove this service, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services
> are also removed. When you reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks
> component, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services are also reinstalled, but
> the Netlogon service is not configured to depend on the Server service when
> the computer starts.]]
> From...
> Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267
>
> How To Install the Client for Microsoft Networks
> http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht...
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:52700687-3B52-46DA-B583-DD9E31E75508@microsoft.com,
> Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the
> > following error message appers during logon attampts:
> >
> > "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
> > machine"
> >
> > Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under
> > services). Also the workstation service is missing from the services list?
> >
> > This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?
> >
> > /Adde
> > --
> > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

July 25, 2005 8:55:11 PM

Beats me. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:935DFB4A-0EF1-457F-A9AF-47C9E83874CD@microsoft.com,
Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesly,
>
> That simple huh? Thanks very much for your help - it worked! Now what
> would casuse the Client for MS Networks component to get removed if the
> user did not do it?
>
> /Adde
> --
> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> To get the Netlogon & Workstation services back, install Client for
>> Microsoft Networks.
>>
>> Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
>> tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
>> for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close
>>
>> [[The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
>> service. If you remove this service, the Netlogon and RPC Locator
>> services are also removed. When you reinstall the Client for Microsoft
>> Networks component, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services are also
>> reinstalled, but the Netlogon service is not configured to depend on the
>> Server service when the computer starts.]]
>> From...
>> Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267
>>
>> How To Install the Client for Microsoft Networks
>> http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht...
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:52700687-3B52-46DA-B583-DD9E31E75508@microsoft.com,
>> Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the
>>> following error message appers during logon attampts:
>>>
>>> "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on
>>> this machine"
>>>
>>> Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under
>>> services). Also the workstation service is missing from the services
>>> list?
>>>
>>> This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?
>>>
>>> /Adde
>>> --
>>> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
July 7, 2009 8:15:17 PM

Sounds easy, but I can't seem to get past the initial logon, so can't get into the Control Panel / Network Connections to follow the suggested fix. I've tried booting in the various safe modes. Any suggestions?

lbrass

Quote:

Beats me. Keep having fun. :-)

--

March 21, 2011 2:36:24 AM

@Wesley Vogel: previously I thought it was system error due to some Registry Repair software .... I repaired the XP ...... finally I followed your instructions ......Thanks for solid solutions .... it worked .... !!!
March 21, 2011 6:00:07 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!