Closed

netlogon service is missing

On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the following
error message appers during logon attampts:

"Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
machine"

Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under services).
Also the workstation service is missing from the services list?

This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!

Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?

/Adde
--
fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
6 answers Last reply

    To get the Netlogon & Workstation services back, install Client for
    Microsoft Networks.

    Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
    tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
    for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close

    [[The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
    service. If you remove this service, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services
    are also removed. When you reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks
    component, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services are also reinstalled, but
    the Netlogon service is not configured to depend on the Server service when
    the computer starts.]]
    From...
    Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267

    How To Install the Client for Microsoft Networks
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/client4msnet.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:52700687-3B52-46DA-B583-DD9E31E75508@microsoft.com,
    Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the
    > following error message appers during logon attampts:
    >
    > "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
    > machine"
    >
    > Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under
    > services). Also the workstation service is missing from the services list?
    >
    > This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?
    >
    > /Adde
    > --
    > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

    Wesly,

    That simple huh? Thanks very much for your help - it worked! Now what would
    casuse the Client for MS Networks component to get removed if the user did
    not do it?

    /Adde
    --

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > To get the Netlogon & Workstation services back, install Client for
    > Microsoft Networks.
    >
    > Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
    > tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
    > for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close
    >
    > [[The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
    > service. If you remove this service, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services
    > are also removed. When you reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks
    > component, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services are also reinstalled, but
    > the Netlogon service is not configured to depend on the Server service when
    > the computer starts.]]
    > From...
    > Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267
    >
    > How To Install the Client for Microsoft Networks
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/client4msnet.htm
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:52700687-3B52-46DA-B583-DD9E31E75508@microsoft.com,
    > Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the
    > > following error message appers during logon attampts:
    > >
    > > "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on this
    > > machine"
    > >
    > > Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under
    > > services). Also the workstation service is missing from the services list?
    > >
    > > This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?
    > >
    > > /Adde
    > > --
    > > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag

    Beats me. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:935DFB4A-0EF1-457F-A9AF-47C9E83874CD@microsoft.com,
    Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesly,
    >
    > That simple huh? Thanks very much for your help - it worked! Now what
    > would casuse the Client for MS Networks component to get removed if the
    > user did not do it?
    >
    > /Adde
    > --
    > fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
    >

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> To get the Netlogon & Workstation services back, install Client for
    >> Microsoft Networks.
    >>
    >> Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
    >> tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
    >> for Microsoft Networks | OK | Close
    >>
    >> [[The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
    >> service. If you remove this service, the Netlogon and RPC Locator
    >> services are also removed. When you reinstall the Client for Microsoft
    >> Networks component, the Netlogon and RPC Locator services are also
    >> reinstalled, but the Netlogon service is not configured to depend on the
    >> Server service when the computer starts.]]
    >> From...
    >> Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322267
    >>
    >> How To Install the Client for Microsoft Networks
    >> http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/client4msnet.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:52700687-3B52-46DA-B583-DD9E31E75508@microsoft.com,
    >> Adde <Adde@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> On a laptop running Windows XP with SP2 and all the MS updates the
    >>> following error message appers during logon attampts:
    >>>
    >>> "Unable to log you on because the netlogon service is not running on
    >>> this machine"
    >>>
    >>> Note! Not only is netlogon not runing - is gone (not listed under
    >>> services). Also the workstation service is missing from the services
    >>> list?
    >>>
    >>> This computer was logging on to the domain last Friday - no problems!
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on how to restore the missing services?
    >>>
    >>> /Adde
    >>> --
    >>> fantamejthisisgoodvarjedag
  4. Sounds easy, but I can't seem to get past the initial logon, so can't get into the Control Panel / Network Connections to follow the suggested fix. I've tried booting in the various safe modes. Any suggestions?

    lbrass

    Quote:

    Beats me. Keep having fun. :-)

    --

  5. @Wesley Vogel: previously I thought it was system error due to some Registry Repair software .... I repaired the XP ...... finally I followed your instructions ......Thanks for solid solutions .... it worked .... !!!
  6. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Netlogon Windows XP