AGP 1x for GeForce2 MX?

G

Hi, I recently bought used 3D Prophet II MX DDV (GeForce2 MX) from my friend for $65, and i was trying to install the card into my system. Spec for my coumputer is P2 400, AGP 1.0 slot, 256 RAM, and 20 GB harddrive. I know by reading manual that AGP 2x slot or above is required, but i heard people tweaking around to get this card to work with AGP 1x.

I have two OS, 2000 and 98, when i first unplugged RIVA TNT and plugged this GeForce2 MX card in, the two OS booted fine, but the windows ran at 640x480 standard view (SafeMode kinda), i thought now i have to instll the driver for the card. When i installed the driver card, the both os boots fine but at certain point of booting the screen, or signal from card to the monitor is no longer exist and i do not see anything. so i yried adding the dword key into registry "ReqAGPRate=dword:00000001" but it shows blank screen after os is booted. (I could see all the screens BEFORE it stops booting ex). bios info, win98 logo then it stops showing..)

It would be great if you could give me some advice, i just installed TNT back to make sure i have no problem with the os.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As far as I know, all AGP 2X and AGP 4X cards are fully backward compatible with AGP 1X as this is a requirement of the AGP specifications.

Windows is probably caught with remnants of old driver components mixed with new drivers.

In Display Properties change the Adapter to Standard PCI VGA. The next time you boot, Windows should detect different hardware and request the driver disk.

If that doesn't work boot to Safe Mode and remove any display adapters that are listed (probably Riva TNT, Standard PCI VGA and Geforce MX). Reboot again. Once more, Windows should ask for the driver disk. You may have to repeat the first procedure but it <b>will work</b> this time.

Depending on which motherboard you have you may have to load AGP drivers for maximum performance.

This works for Windows 98SE. I've never used Windows 2000.

G

from what ive been reading agp 2x is a 2x 1x slot and agp 4x is a 4x 2x slot just like agp 8x wont use cards under 4x. i could be wrong but even if you get it to work you probly wont like how it works. goto the card makers site and see if it will support under 2x. most cards made today are made to run no less then 2x.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.