Don't order two computers from DELL

I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers online,
one for a customer (with his details) and one for stock. I did get a waning
from the system that I had ordered a similar configuration already and did I
want to proceed with the second order. I confirmed that.

However I only received one order confirmed after two Internet receipts.
Four phone calls to DELL in five days each with a different (Indian) person
saying that he/she would retrieve the second order has yet to see any
additional order confirmation so I've order another one from scratch.

The moral of this tale is if you want to order twice from DELL do it more
that one hour apart.
16 answers Last reply
More about order computers dell

    Jonathan Eales wrote:

    > I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers online,
    > one for a customer (with his details) and one for stock. I did get a waning
    > from the system that I had ordered a similar configuration already and did I
    > want to proceed with the second order. I confirmed that.
    >
    > However I only received one order confirmed after two Internet receipts.
    > Four phone calls to DELL in five days each with a different (Indian) person
    > saying that he/she would retrieve the second order has yet to see any
    > additional order confirmation so I've order another one from scratch.
    >
    > The moral of this tale is if you want to order twice from DELL do it more
    > that one hour apart.

    FWIW, I'd never make *any* major product purchase(s), online.

    Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    can be matched.

    Notan

    Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >Jonathan Eales wrote:
    >> I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers online,

    If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    miss.

    >Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    >can be matched.

    Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.

    Gee William, aren't you being a little, you know, harsh? FWIW, I like to
    configure online, so I can play with all the different combinations until I
    get down to a computer that I like at a price I would be willing to pay.
    Then I'll call a salesperson to see if I might be able to squeeze something
    out of them. Ya never know. In any case, if I was to get a better offer from
    a salesperson, I would have them fax it to me so I've got it on paper.

    But you are right about the fact that there's a place in the online ordering
    price where you can specify how many computers you are ordering.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    > >Jonathan Eales wrote:
    > >> I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers
    online,

    > If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    > of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    > miss.
    >
    > >Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    > >can be matched.
    >
    > Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    > delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    > before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.

    I work for a major customer of Dell where we have our own sales people and a
    US based tech support phone #. I have been dealing with Dell since they were
    PC's Limited.

    I NEVER talk to a salesman unless I have to they are unable to provide me
    with the quotes that I want just about every time and they always seem to
    add an item I did not request or miss one I did. Try ordering backup
    software for a tape library with 5 servers licenses. You cannot do it
    online and when I had 3 different sales people provide me a quote they
    messed it up costing me over a thousand dollars. You see when you order a
    copy of the backup software you actually get 2 codes to use the backup
    software on 2 servers for the single price according to the Dell web site I
    needed to support a total of 6 servers so I paid for 6 licenses but I got 12
    since you get 2 keys for each license but the sales people were unaware of
    this fact!

    So use the Dell web site and do your research carefully if there is a sale
    coming up research before the sale. Check the pricing for home as well as
    small and large business users. Have a child in school then check the
    educational pricing? Check with you employer see if they offer a discount?
    Mine does and once again we get a US based phone number for tech support

    Wayne

    > Jonathan Eales wrote:
    >>
    >> I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers
    >> online,
    >> one for a customer (with his details) and one for stock. I did get a
    >> waning
    >> from the system that I had ordered a similar configuration already and
    >> did I
    >> want to proceed with the second order. I confirmed that.
    >>
    >> However I only received one order confirmed after two Internet receipts.
    >> Four phone calls to DELL in five days each with a different (Indian)
    >> person
    >> saying that he/she would retrieve the second order has yet to see any
    >> additional order confirmation so I've order another one from scratch.
    >>
    >> The moral of this tale is if you want to order twice from DELL do it more
    >> that one hour apart.
    >
    > FWIW, I'd never make *any* major product purchase(s), online.
    >
    > Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    > can be matched.
    >
    > Notan

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >>Jonathan Eales wrote:
    >>> I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers
    >>> online,
    >
    > If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    > of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    > miss.
    >
    >>Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    >>can be matched.
    >
    > Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    > delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    > before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.

    It was talking to Sales and Customer Support that was so frustrating.
    Having to explain everything again and again, finally getting promises to
    fix it and then call me back or email me. Yet nothing arrived. The order
    was seen as valid had a pre-assigned order number, but was held in some sort
    of administrative limbo.

    I have used the DELL sales people if I want a special price, or
    configuration such as no monitor. But these were simple orders which are
    much easier to do on the web. You can even give your customer an exact
    price on the phone as you configure and order.

    This is why people buy DELL computers through me they want a knowledgeable,
    understandable, local person who can help them choose, minimise the hassle,
    deliver and finally install their computer.

    Jonathan

    I think you're on to something here: There are buyer's agents for real
    estate and cars; why not for computers? Most people have no idea what they
    want in a computer anyway, and are not equipped to deal with actually buying
    one. So for a reasonable fee, you help them decide what they want, do the
    deal, and then get them up and running. Hookers have been doing it forever.
    It's a great idea.
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in message

    > <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    > > Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    > > of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    > > miss.
    > >
    > >>Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    > >>can be matched.
    > >
    > > Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    > > delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    > > before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.
    > >

    > It was talking to Sales and Customer Support that was so frustrating.
    > Having to explain everything again and again, finally getting promises to
    > fix it and then call me back or email me. Yet nothing arrived. The order
    > was seen as valid had a pre-assigned order number, but was held in some
    sort
    > of administrative limbo.
    >
    > I have used the DELL sales people if I want a special price, or
    > configuration such as no monitor. But these were simple orders which are
    > much easier to do on the web. You can even give your customer an exact
    > price on the phone as you configure and order.
    >
    > This is why people buy DELL computers through me they want a
    knowledgeable,
    > understandable, local person who can help them choose, minimise the
    hassle,
    > deliver and finally install their computer.
    >
    > Jonathan

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:48:43 GMT, "Jonathan Eales"
    <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote:

    ><William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    >> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    >> of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    >> miss.
    >>
    >>>Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    >>>can be matched.
    >>
    >> Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    >> delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    >> before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.
    >>

    >It was talking to Sales and Customer Support that was so frustrating.
    >Having to explain everything again and again, finally getting promises to
    >fix it and then call me back or email me. Yet nothing arrived. The order
    >was seen as valid had a pre-assigned order number, but was held in some sort
    >of administrative limbo.
    >
    >I have used the DELL sales people if I want a special price, or
    >configuration such as no monitor. But these were simple orders which are
    >much easier to do on the web. You can even give your customer an exact
    >price on the phone as you configure and order.
    >
    >This is why people buy DELL computers through me they want a knowledgeable,
    >understandable, local person who can help them choose, minimise the hassle,
    >deliver and finally install their computer.
    >
    >Jonathan

    Dell used to have their Sales people based in the US, and only the
    technical non-support in India. Now both groups are in India, and it
    is just as frustrating ordering a PC , as it is trying to get Tech
    help after you buy it. You have to keep asking them to repeat what
    they said, for fear of either getting zero computers or 5 of them,
    when you just want one. A co-worker of mine tried to order a Laptop
    PC from Dell, 2 weeks ago, and he was so frustrated by the lack of any
    communication skills that the salesperson on the phone had, that he
    finally hung up the phone and ordered a Gateway.

    Bob

    "Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:48:43 GMT, "Jonathan Eales"
    > <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote:
    >

    >><William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    >>> of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    >>> miss.

    >>> Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    >>> delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    >>> before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.
    >>>

    >>It was talking to Sales and Customer Support that was so frustrating.
    >>Having to explain everything again and again, finally getting promises to
    >>fix it and then call me back or email me. Yet nothing arrived. The order
    >>was seen as valid had a pre-assigned order number, but was held in some
    >>sort
    >>of administrative limbo.
    >>
    >>I have used the DELL sales people if I want a special price, or
    >>configuration such as no monitor. But these were simple orders which are
    >>much easier to do on the web. You can even give your customer an exact
    >>price on the phone as you configure and order.
    >>
    >>This is why people buy DELL computers through me they want a
    >>knowledgeable,
    >>understandable, local person who can help them choose, minimise the
    >>hassle,
    >>deliver and finally install their computer.
    >>
    >>Jonathan
    >>

    > Dell used to have their Sales people based in the US, and only the
    > technical non-support in India. Now both groups are in India, and it
    > is just as frustrating ordering a PC , as it is trying to get Tech
    > help after you buy it. You have to keep asking them to repeat what
    > they said, for fear of either getting zero computers or 5 of them,
    > when you just want one. A co-worker of mine tried to order a Laptop
    > PC from Dell, 2 weeks ago, and he was so frustrated by the lack of any
    > communication skills that the salesperson on the phone had, that he
    > finally hung up the phone and ordered a Gateway.
    >
    > Bob

    I order only online. I also pre-configure systems for my customers and
    e-mail the shopping carts to them to ease their confusion and pain - and to
    make damned sure they don't overpay for what they need.

    I try to avoid phone sales at all costs. Just my take. So far, so good
    (over 5 years).

    Stew

    Bob Cordone wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Dell used to have their Sales people based in the US, and only the
    > technical non-support in India. Now both groups are in India, and it
    > is just as frustrating ordering a PC , as it is trying to get Tech
    > help after you buy it. You have to keep asking them to repeat what
    > they said, for fear of either getting zero computers or 5 of them,
    > when you just want one. A co-worker of mine tried to order a Laptop
    > PC from Dell, 2 weeks ago, and he was so frustrated by the lack of any
    > communication skills that the salesperson on the phone had, that he
    > finally hung up the phone and ordered a Gateway.

    Is this new Sales-via-India thing strictly for Home purchases,
    or has it been extended to Small Business purchases, too?

    Please, no speculation, just facts.

    Thanks!

    Notan

    This should give you an idea of the support you will get after the sale.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:42:36 -0600, "wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote:

    >So use the Dell web site and do your research carefully if there is a sale
    >coming up research before the sale. Check the pricing for home as well as
    >small and large business users. Have a child in school then check the
    >educational pricing? Check with you employer see if they offer a discount?
    >Mine does and once again we get a US based phone number for tech support
    >

    >Wayne

    I just found this out last week. I work for a company that orders
    many Dells PC's. If I had ordered though the company I would have
    been able to contact English Speaking Tech support people rather than
    playing dungeons and dragons with the overseas tech non-support
    people....... ....

    Bob

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > Gee William, aren't you being a little, you know, harsh? FWIW, I like
    > configure online, so I can play with all the different combinations
    > until I
    > get down to a computer that I like at a price I would be willing to
    > pay.
    > Then I'll call a salesperson to see if I might be able to squeeze
    > something
    > out of them. Ya never know. In any case, if I was to get a better
    > offer from
    > a salesperson, I would have them fax it to me so I've got it on paper.
    >
    > But you are right about the fact that there's a place in the online
    > ordering
    > price where you can specify how many computers you are ordering.

    Last Dell I ordered. I did just that, config online and called. I
    didn't want a modem or speakers & Home side of things wouldn't let me
    remove them. Business would, so I knew exactly how much it should cost.
    Sales guy tried to tell me the price would be the same even without the
    2 things, so I said I would fax him the price from Business. Finally he
    agreed and lowered the price. The PC delivered had a modem and a box of
    speakers included.

    Just be sure the guy on the phone faxes you a confirmed printout of your
    order, so you can check it yourself & get his name and telephone number.
    --
    Cynthia
    I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

    > <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
    >> Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> If you watch carefully, there _is_ a set where you can set the number
    >> of things you added to your shopping card to two, but it's easy to
    >> miss.
    >>
    >>> Talk to a salesperson... More often than not, "online specials"
    >>> can be matched.
    >>
    >> Gack, IME Dell's SalesDroids are awful, and will screw up your order,
    >> delay it, and cause all sorts of problems. I'd buy from someone else
    >> before I'd talk to a SalesDroid again.

    UPDATE

    DELL have just decided to confirm my original order just 10 days after I
    submitted it. Both the other computers have already arrived and I now have
    another 10 days before the next one is shipped to sell these. I guess DELL
    doesn't want to miss out on any additional order.

    Anyone want to but a new DELL? :-)

    The good thing is they were a good deal for a really capable entry-level
    system so should be easy to find homes for these. They are so quiet, I've
    set one up in the lounge just playing music over a wireless connection.

    Jonathan

    > UPDATE
    >
    > DELL have just decided to confirm my original order just 10 days after I
    > submitted it. Both the other computers have already arrived and I now have
    > another 10 days before the next one is shipped to sell these. I guess
    > DELL doesn't want to miss out on any additional order.
    >
    > Anyone want to but a new DELL? :-)
    >
    > The good thing is they were a good deal for a really capable entry-level
    > system so should be easy to find homes for these. They are so quiet, I've
    > set one up in the lounge just playing music over a wireless connection.
    >
    > Jonathan

    Don't get stuck, Jonathan. You've got 21 days from invoice to send'em back
    if you can't place them with someone. :-)

    Toys toys toys......

    Stew

    Jonathan Eales wrote:

    > UPDATE
    >
    > DELL have just decided to confirm my original order just 10 days after I
    > submitted it. Both the other computers have already arrived and I now have
    > another 10 days before the next one is shipped to sell these. I guess DELL
    > doesn't want to miss out on any additional order.
    >
    > Anyone want to but a new DELL? :-)

    No thanks, just bought one 2 months ago and it's a pretty sweet machine.

    "Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I ordered two exact same configuration DELL Dimension 3000 computers
    >online, one for a customer (with his details) and one for stock. I did get
    >a waning from the system that I had ordered a similar configuration already
    >and did I want to proceed with the second order. I confirmed that.
    >
    > However I only received one order confirmed after two Internet receipts.
    > Four phone calls to DELL in five days each with a different (Indian)
    > person saying that he/she would retrieve the second order has yet to see
    > any additional order confirmation so I've order another one from scratch.
    >
    > The moral of this tale is if you want to order twice from DELL do it more
    > that one hour apart.

    Oh, they definitely have some weird policies in effect. I once tried to
    order some
    screws from them (0.05 each) that I was having trouble finding locally.
    Turns out that
    if you order 10 or more of anything from them (which I was trying to do to
    offset the
    $8 shipping charge a little bit) it requires managerial approval. Needless
    to say it never
    happened. (BTW, what I tried to do should have made it EASIER on them as I
    tried to
    buy a full box of 100 screws so they didn't have to count anything.)

Dell Computers Configuration