Sign in with
Your question

JPEG turn into "Files" ?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 8, 2003 4:24:51 AM

Running XP Pro. This problem started recently. When I save a picture from a web page. If I change the file name and then save it, it saves as a "file" type file and I can't open it. But if I save the same picture without changing the name, it is saved in the jpeg format. And I can change the name later without any problems. A security setting ?

More about : jpeg turn files

October 8, 2003 4:35:55 AM

When you change the file name before saving, are you unintentionally deleting the file extension?
October 8, 2003 7:57:59 AM

That's my guess.

Instead of saving it as "picture" make sure you type in "picture.jpg" and it'll work.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
Related resources
October 8, 2003 3:44:40 PM

Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View

In here is the option "Hide file extensions for known file types". If you turn this off, things will go back to how they were before.

Most people like to leave it on, though, since it makes it easier to distinguish between (say) .wma and .mp3, .jpg and .gif, .mov and some virus...
October 11, 2003 5:34:12 AM

Thanks GoBlinking, I think I had changed that some time ago. We'll see if that does the trick. Thanks again all.
October 11, 2003 7:46:58 AM

Hehe, no problem. It's supposed to be GoblinKing, but whatever floats your boat :) 
October 11, 2003 7:50:35 AM

GoBlinking. LOL. I would never have read it that way if he didn't say something.