Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual boot win7/xp major mess up help needed!

Last response: in Windows 7
July 14, 2010 7:55:46 PM

So i have two hard drives. The larger one has windows 7 installed on it. the smaller one is new and so i decided to install win xp on it.

with both drives plugged in i successfully installed win xp on the smaller drive. my problem is that everytime i boot up i do not see the option for win 7 in the boot menu and by default the pc always boots into win xp

i made sure in my bios that the boot priority was with the larger hdd first but this still does not seem to solve anything. i have also disabled the hdd with xp on it but it still boots into it.

how do i get back to win 7 and how do i see it in the boot options. will removing sata cable from small hd solve it?

also all my win 7 contents are present as i checked them in win xp

i will greatly appreciate any help

thanks

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2010 8:50:27 PM

When you installed XP on the smaller drive, it overwrote the boot manager for Windows 7. The issue is that XP's boot loader does not recognise the newer OS. Windows 7 know how to start XP, though.

So:

Boot to your Win 7 install DVD.

Select Install

On the second screen, choose "Repair" in the lower left.

OK

OK

Yeah yeah yeah - finish already....

it reboots...

Done - You should be able to Dual Boot now.

July 15, 2010 11:23:43 AM

Scotteq said:
When you installed XP on the smaller drive, it overwrote the boot manager for Windows 7. The issue is that XP's boot loader does not recognise the newer OS. Windows 7 know how to start XP, though.

So:

Boot to your Win 7 install DVD.

Select Install

On the second screen, choose "Repair" in the lower left.

OK

OK

Yeah yeah yeah - finish already....

it reboots...

Done - You should be able to Dual Boot now.

yep, that solved everything thankyou
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:24:03 AM

Best answer selected by devan5.
m
l
!