Laptop upgrade theory help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelhungry

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
hello

I have a semi-old computer that's still in good condition. the only problem im having is the battery won't hold a charge and it's having trouble playing any sort of game/booting it up. The problem with not being able to run any games might be from the dead battery (I have it plugged into the wall whenever I use it because it only lasts 5 min.) .though I was wondering about upgrading it just for fun.

its a Samsung R580 with an i5 core NVidia gpu (not sure which) and then 4 gb of ram.

What I want to do is
1. buy a replacement battery
2. replace the hard drive
3. put a brand new os (probably windows 8) on the new hdd
4. maybe upgrade cpu or gpu if possible ( im not to sure but if there was a apu that could fit this pc spec that would be really cool)

Solution
1. You can get a new battery - FYI this has nothing to do with running your games.
2. You can replace the drive.
3. You can even install a New OS.
4. This one will be quite tricky and I would say if this is what you want to do, just go by a new computer.

By the time you did all 4 above you could probably already have a better machine with the latest OS than you can do yourself, if you could even do #4.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
1. You can get a new battery - FYI this has nothing to do with running your games.
2. You can replace the drive.
3. You can even install a New OS.
4. This one will be quite tricky and I would say if this is what you want to do, just go by a new computer.

By the time you did all 4 above you could probably already have a better machine with the latest OS than you can do yourself, if you could even do #4.

Solution
GPU:
Very rare that you can change an intergrated GPU:
quote: The Nvidia GeForce 310M is an entry level laptop graphics card "
Your GPU is isted as a Class 4 GPU NOT to good.
Full review and what games you can play (games are at the bottom on left side:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-310M.22439.0.html
IF gaming is your Bag (outside of game that relys on CPU and NOT GPU) only option is NEW laptop - sorry.

Battery:
Link to replaceent battry for your R580:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=samsung+r580+battery&oq=Samsung+R58&gs_l=serp.1.1.0l4.4383.6973.0.9531.3.2.1.0.0.0.156.281.0j2.2.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.-RkuTqesvpI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=2a406c7ad5f091d9&biw=1215&bih=764
Windows 8 will not improve your Gaming performance which is limited by your GPU.

pixelhungry

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
yea I know my computer is outdated, but I was just going to do it for fun. I built my own gaming rig a few months ago and I was looking for something else to mess with. My computer is probably loaded down with a bunch of crap and other things, but games I was able to play 2 years ago lag for me now. And in reply to retired chief: you don't think there's an APU that would be interchangeable with my cpu socket and that I could use instead of the gpu do you?

pixelhungry

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

I was wondering about battery and gaming like that it wasn't able to pull enough power to keep a game running.

For laptops the GPU is normally a solder in chip. The CPU is probable 75% chance it's solder-in and 25% chance it is socked.
What you can do is google repair of your Specific laptop and see if it has a screen shot of the MB.
Skippy is correct in that the battery will not effect gaming untill it gets down to around 10% battery time left which means rest of computer will als be effected shortly.

I would probably stick with Win 7 instead of Win 8. Some people have complained about games not being compatible with Win 8. For example, Fallout 3 does not run with Win 8 even in any of the compatibility modes.

If you wanna play some older games you should Google around to see if anyone has tried those games with Win 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.