Program Requires Administrator Rights

I have a computer running Windows XP Home where I have an administrator
account. I set up a Limited Account for my daughter. I just installed Math
Advantage 2006 from Encore Software, and it will only allow the user with
Administrator rights to run the program. When you try to start it under a
limited account, it tries to copy a file to the Windows directory and of
course can't because it is a limited account. I checked Encore's website,
and they state
"Problem XP Administrator Rights

Solution

This game or program is supported and intended to be used only when logging
in using root administrator. Please make sure that your login has
Administrator rights or try using the root Administrator login and try the
game again.

If you have multiple users on your Windows XP computer and want unrestricted
access to the program, please refer to your Windows XP manual, or contact
Microsoft Support for assistance in configuring your system."

Any ideas on how I can get this to run under a Limited UserAccount?

© 2005 Encore, Inc., A Navarre Corporation Company All Rights Reserved.
Legal Information

fred

Bruce

You could try give the user in question rights to this programs default
installed folder(full rights) & the windows folder(try all rights except
full controll & Special permissons 1st - if they are needed add them later)

Fred

Bruce P wrote:
> I have a computer running Windows XP Home where I have an administrator
> account. I set up a Limited Account for my daughter. I just installed Math
> Advantage 2006 from Encore Software, and it will only allow the user with
> Administrator rights to run the program. When you try to start it under a
> limited account, it tries to copy a file to the Windows directory and of
> course can't because it is a limited account. I checked Encore's website,
> and they state
.....Snipped

You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
application with one that was properly designed specifically for
WinNT/2K/XP.

Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

"If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
is the default.

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

If you wish to undo these changes, then run

C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
full control."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: