Program Requires Administrator Rights

I have a computer running Windows XP Home where I have an administrator
account. I set up a Limited Account for my daughter. I just installed Math
Advantage 2006 from Encore Software, and it will only allow the user with
Administrator rights to run the program. When you try to start it under a
limited account, it tries to copy a file to the Windows directory and of
course can't because it is a limited account. I checked Encore's website,
and they state
"Problem XP Administrator Rights

Solution

This game or program is supported and intended to be used only when logging
in using root administrator. Please make sure that your login has
Administrator rights or try using the root Administrator login and try the
game again.

If you have multiple users on your Windows XP computer and want unrestricted
access to the program, please refer to your Windows XP manual, or contact
Microsoft Support for assistance in configuring your system."

Any ideas on how I can get this to run under a Limited UserAccount?

© 2005 Encore, Inc., A Navarre Corporation Company All Rights Reserved.
Legal Information
2 answers Last reply
More about program requires administrator rights

    Bruce

    You could try give the user in question rights to this programs default
    installed folder(full rights) & the windows folder(try all rights except
    full controll & Special permissons 1st - if they are needed add them later)

    Fred

    Bruce P wrote:
    > I have a computer running Windows XP Home where I have an administrator
    > account. I set up a Limited Account for my daughter. I just installed Math
    > Advantage 2006 from Encore Software, and it will only allow the user with
    > Administrator rights to run the program. When you try to start it under a
    > limited account, it tries to copy a file to the Windows directory and of
    > course can't because it is a limited account. I checked Encore's website,
    > and they state
    .....Snipped

    You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
    individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
    the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
    sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

    For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
    application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

    It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
    of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
    accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
    properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
    often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
    appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
    administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
    the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
    application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: