System Restore - Can't access.

When I attempt to do a System restore I get the message that System Restore
has encountered a problem and needs to close with the following;
An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\Windows\system32\shell.dll,
Control_RunDLL" "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",System".
Any clues how to rectify this situation ? My thanks - John.

Hi John,

Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem. All existing restore points will be
purged in the process.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

John McCormick wrote:
> When I attempt to do a System restore I get the message
> that System Restore has encountered a problem and needs
> to close with the following; An exception occurred while trying to run
> "C:\Windows\system32\shell.dll, Control_RunDLL" "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",System".
> Any clues how to rectify this situation ? My thanks -
> John.

DJ

Hi John and Bert-- I've got the same System Restore error too. Instead
of sr.inf, I find sr.PNF. Any suggestions? --Best regards, DJ

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem. All existing restore points will be
> purged in the process.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> John McCormick wrote:
> > When I attempt to do a System restore I get the message
> > that System Restore has encountered a problem and needs
> > to close with the following; An exception occurred while trying to run
> > "C:\Windows\system32\shell.dll, Control_RunDLL" "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",System".
> > Any clues how to rectify this situation ? My thanks -
> > John.

DJ

I just found sr.inf found further down the list
"dj" wrote:

> Hi John and Bert-- I've got the same System Restore error too. Instead
> of sr.inf, I find sr.PNF. Any suggestions? --Best regards, DJ
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem. All existing restore points will be
> > purged in the process.
> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> > http://dts-l.org/
> >
> > John McCormick wrote:
> > > When I attempt to do a System restore I get the message
> > > that System Restore has encountered a problem and needs
> > > to close with the following; An exception occurred while trying to run
> > > "C:\Windows\system32\shell.dll, Control_RunDLL" "C:\Windows\system32\sysdm.cpl",System".
> > > Any clues how to rectify this situation ? My thanks -
> > > John.

DJ

I found srframe.mmf in C:\WINDOWS\system32\restore. The problem is
fixed. Thanks ! --DJ

"dj" wrote:

> I just found sr.inf found further down the list
> "dj" wrote:
>

> > Hi John and Bert-- I've got the same System Restore error too. Instead
> > of sr.inf, I find sr.PNF. Any suggestions? --Best regards, DJ
> >

> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > Reinstalling System Restore should repair the problem. All existing restore points will be
> > > purged in the process.
> > > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> > > http://dts-l.org/

You're welcome, and glad to see you figured it out.

--
http://bertk.mvps.org

dj wrote:
> I found srframe.mmf in C:\WINDOWS\system32\restore.
> The problem is fixed. Thanks ! --DJ
>
> "dj" wrote:
>

>> I just found sr.inf found further down the list
>> "dj" wrote:
>>

>>> Hi John and Bert-- I've got the same System Restore
>>> error too. Instead of sr.inf, I find sr.PNF. Any
>>> suggestions? --Best regards, DJ

TRENDING THREADS