"save as" or "open" dialog box hangs

In any applications, when I click save as, that box hangs for at least 35-40
seconds before I can tell it where to save the file. Exemple: In IE, if I
download a file, I'll click save as, and wait 35-40 seconds before I get a
response from the computer. I have tried just about anything I know to fix
this without having to reformat. I have the same dehavior in messenger or any
of the other programs I use. The problem seems to be with the open/save as
dialog box. I run WinXp Pro, SP2. Does anybody have any clues on how to fix
this bizzare problem of mine??? Tkx
--
Emic

Gee that's a strange one.

Have you tried running Disk Cleanup followed by Disk Defragmenter?

If no fix, you might try
Line 157 (rt. column)

Right Click on 'My Computer' then select "Manage"
Expand the "System Tools" then "Event Viewer"
Select Application
If you find an error, select Properties of error, there you should find
some more info on what is causing this problem you are having and help in
resolving same.

--
Michael

"EMIC" <EMIC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In any applications, when I click save as, that box hangs for at least
> 35-40
> seconds before I can tell it where to save the file. Example: In IE, if I
> download a file, I'll click save as, and wait 35-40 seconds before I get a
> response from the computer. I have tried just about anything I know to fix
> this without having to reformat. I have the same behavior in messenger or
> any
> of the other programs I use. The problem seems to be with the open/save as
> dialog box. I run WinXp Pro, SP2. Does anybody have any clues on how to
> fix
> this bizarre problem of mine??? Tkx
> --
> Emic

I did what you suggested but no success. I am at a complete loss with this
problem and I hate to reformat.
--
Emic