Your question

Win8 for Enterprise

Tags:
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Windows 8
  • Enterprise
Last response: in Windows 8
September 9, 2012 5:31:31 AM

Wow, I'm new to this place but some of the threads are truly boring here.

Here is a question for all of ya.

what do you think about Windows 8 for a business ? do you really think that businesses will adopt this and roll it out?

I mean I'm in IT and the sales people are so ummm lets say finicy that I'm amazed they can even figure out windows 7

now with such a huge change , i worry that the poor non technical people will never adopt this .

what are your thoughts on this ?

More about : win8 enterprise

September 9, 2012 5:39:43 AM

From what I've seen and heard, most companies don't even considered the newest Windows till at least SP1 is launched. If they do consider it, they test it till they are 100% it's compatible with all their software and hardware. Then again, some might do like Vista, and skip it all together. It really comes down to the people writing the checks though, and not IT. It's a question of cost overall.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 9, 2012 5:43:28 AM

The adoption rate will not be nearly as fast as Windows 7 was for some companies. I believe they will eventually move to it though.

Every company will need to draft some training material for their users (like they do every time a new version of Windows arrives), the difference here will be how extensive that training is. They will need to go more in-depth this time around because of the Metro part of the UI. That part is definitely a big change. Hopefully businesses will recognize the benefits that do come with Windows 8, rather than focus solely on the negative aspects of it and how those will impact their company in the short term.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2012 3:37:03 AM

I doubt they'll move to it - as it is, many of them have barely moved to Windows 7 (and many are STILL on XP), and they probably don't want to train employees to use metro (or whatever Microsoft wants to call it). Chances are that they'll skip this, and then adopt Windows 9 (assuming Microsoft figures out that metro is garbage when everyone downgrades - or is it upgrades? - to Windows 7).
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 19, 2012 3:43:42 AM

Guess you'll be on Windows 7 for awhile. Metro is not going away. When has Microsoft ever spent a chunk of money to develop a whole new UI on a major product like Windows to expand it into a new market, only to ditch those changes in the very next major release?
m
l
September 27, 2012 1:16:10 AM

At the same time, keep in mind that if (when?) they loose a ton of sales to this (and thus profit), they might end up being forced to drop it to keep their profits from tanking.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 27, 2012 1:30:13 AM

livebriand said:
At the same time, keep in mind that if (when?) they loose a ton of sales to this (and thus profit), they might end up being forced to drop it to keep their profits from tanking.

Hi :) 

Excellent advice....

I have rung around a dozen of the businesses we deal with in my shops and NOT ONE has any intention of moving to 8....

Main reasons given were as above.... Metro interface and staff having to learn a new OS ...

Personally I can see this being a bigger mistake for MS than Vista or ME was...

MS make their major money from businesses and I can see it being a LONG LONG time before that happens with 8...

I could be wrong of course....maybe MS know something I dont... :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 27, 2012 4:26:05 AM

livebriand said:

If that was the case, they might as well not ship Windows 8 on any x86 based tablets. x86 tablets running Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro (excluding the Windows RT devices here) are, despite their likely higher initial retail prices, going to have a decent chunk of the tablet pie. Microsoft will not remove the Metro UI from these devices, because if you remove it from Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro, remember that you are also removing it from x86 based tablets which will rely heavily on that input method. I know you can get a mouse and keyboard for these tablets and use them like a desktop or laptop, but that's not what they are designed for. If they were to do that, not only would it hurt them with fewer Windows 8 sales, but it also completely screws over all of the OEM's who now have plans to build and ship these systems.

All that because of an interface that despite its decent (NOT excessively steep) learning curve.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 27, 2012 11:03:51 AM

As a CIO for an SME I think I can comment on this with a certain amount of authority.

I have made comments in other threads regarding the adoption of Windows 8 in an enterprise environment, and to be honest I cannot see it happening whilst MS forces the use of *metro*. I know there are replacement "Start menu" applications available but is this really the solution for an enterprise production environment?

The issue for SME adoption also reaches further than just the desktop. Server 2012 with RDS/VDI deployment will also give remote users the Windows 8 UI, with a good percentage of SMEs starting to migrate to private clouds I also see this as a reason not to migrate to 2012 from 2008 R2 which presents a Windows 7 style desktop (with the appropriate server features turned on of course).

As someone else posted, adoption of new OS's by business is usually postponed until the system has matured a little, usually after the first service pack (we didn't roll-out XP until SP2 and passed on Vista completely). Windows 7 will be supported until 2020, 8 brings very little new features other than the UI and possibly exclusive use of IE-10, there is no real compelling reason to update.

Metro has its place, and that is on touch screen devices. Apple and to an extent Google have both realised that they needed 2 Systems/UI for the touch and non-touch devices, if MS are trying to push into the tablet space (something that I think will be welcomed in SMEs) why did they not do the same? Do they really think businesses are going to ditch conventional desktop PCs and work solely from tablets or large touch screens? Somebody (other than Ballmer) at MS has completely lost the plot.

I wont be surprised to see the ability to turn metro off as a feature of SP1.
m
l
September 27, 2012 11:29:19 AM

Hopefully with SP1 the legacy Start Menu will have returned with an option to toggle between Metro and the Start Menu. I have little doubt that is the minor change Microsoft needs to make to encourage the rest of us to switch to Windows 8, it's certainly the change I want.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 27, 2012 11:44:00 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Guess you'll be on Windows 7 for awhile. Metro is not going away. When has Microsoft ever spent a chunk of money to develop a whole new UI on a major product like Windows to expand it into a new market, only to ditch those changes in the very next major release?

Microsoft Bob. Although not an OS, it was a new interface (for Win95) that never took hold.
m
l
October 25, 2012 8:56:00 PM

I have been testing Windows 8 Enterprise on our network, needless to say, were not moving to it. We are (were actually) a point of OS migration from XP on about 50 workstations but decided that A) our employees would need extensive retraining B) Not mature enough (its not even officially out yet). C)Our applications do not work under IE 10 (just need to update our software but why push it when it works fine on IE9 and W7) D) Though W7 is a newer looking and different from XP its is still way more familiar to our employees E) im not sure how Server 2008 R2 GPO interacts with W8 since it seems to handle security on a different level than W7
m
l
!