Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Please

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
October 8, 2003 4:34:55 PM

Computer keeps trying to connect (dial up) to internet by itself? My father's HP 310n computer will, on it's own, try about every 5 min to attempt to hook up to the internet. The "dial up connection" windows keep popping up. It will lay one over the top of the previous window.

He says it does not do this always/nonstop. That it appears an internal clock is driving the attempts.

Note that I said "attempt". He re-formatted the hard drive and installed win98(1st) this weekend. Before that, he had XP o/s (couldn't reistall XP as the computer system did not come with O/S disc-but that's another story!) and it was connecting to net. Fearing it was a virus, the above steps were done to remove it.

Since the reinstall it can't connect, but the repeated attempts are very annoying. Oh, and he switched ISP to netzero who apparently have their own applet to connect -that is not affected. BTW, Mcafee is now and always has been up-to-date and finds nothing.

Any help with identifying problem and solution is appreciated big time. Thanks

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

More about : question

October 9, 2003 2:22:33 AM

Quote:
Note that I said "attempt". He re-formatted the hard drive and installed win98(1st) this weekend. Before that, he had XP o/s (couldn't reistall XP as the computer system did not come with O/S disc-but that's another story!)

FYI; If your dad has an HP computer with a legal WinXP Home or Pro Product Key Code Label attached to the case, take it to your local computer shop and show it to them, most local computer shops will burn you an OEM installation disk for a small fee, you have a legal OEM product key code. I've had this done myself not even for myself but to help someone else, now just one other tid bit of information to pass on to you, sometimes a LLF(low level format), is required to remove the old HP sector information from the Hardrive.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>
Related resources
October 9, 2003 2:26:30 AM

MSBLAST doesn't affect Win98, Win98SE, or WinME.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>
October 9, 2003 12:11:38 PM

strange, u sure u dont have a setting to tell it to redial automatically? or a program that is triggering that? for example, i have download accelerator that i make it to automatically connect at certain times and disconnect at certain times

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek: 
October 9, 2003 3:01:42 PM

Thanks 4ryan6, My father wll definately do that, he prefers XP and I think we've got to LLF and reinstall. Last weekend we tried to LLF, thats why 98 is installed (again cuz that's the only o/s we had). I'm now thinking that, for whatever reason, we didn't get it done. So we'll redo it next week.

As far as Blaster is concerned -I'm assuming it can't be that-the other person's prob (in XP forum) may be something else too. My father did have a virus w/XP, something in Win/Help/Binaries etc which we could not rid w/Mcafee.

Again thanks so much for your help :) 

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 10/09/03 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 9, 2003 3:18:32 PM

Thanks grassapa, I'm thinkin virus in boot sector? But dunno, c/b what you say. Anyway, as said above we'll LLF and install XP so whatever it is will be gone.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid - out here in the mountains of North Carolina we've got a FBI investigation due to hundreds of peeps being ripped thru credit cards and bank accounts. The various #s are being used in a variety of foreign countries for unauthorized withdrawls. I read internet activity has not been ruled out. Personally, I'm thinking "dumpster diving" for data. Still, having one's computer auto dialing and communicting w/unknown server or persons is worrisome.

Thanks again for your help

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
October 9, 2003 8:32:37 PM

Just wanted to make sure you understand that a LLF (Low Level Format) completely wipes the drive of all previous information, I'm not talking about the format that WinXP or 98 does, a LLF has to be done with a hardrive diagnostics disk, which in your case is probably a Western Digital hardrive if its a HP machine, but you will need to look in the computer and find out what brand hardrive it is, now if you don't have a clue as to how to do a LLF, either post back, or PM me, and I'll give you detailed instructions on what to do.

October 10, 2003 3:17:40 PM

4ryan6, Thanks Man. Obviously I'm sort of a nOOb, so I've been trying to sort this out between forums, googleing and tech manuals. I found this yesterday at freepctech:

"This is an often asked question. So, let me begin by saying that you do not "low-level-format" IDE or ATA hard drives. This term is a misnomer from the old MFM hard drive days when a drive could have the tracks and sectors defined using a low level format.
The IDE or ATA drives we use today have all this information preset at the factory and a real low level format would destroy the drive or at least slow it down radically... you cannot redefine the tracks and sectors on these drives with a true low level format."

Well, that helps bridge the lingo gap between the tech manuals (which says only factory can do a LLF) and the rest. (I now beleive LLF in current lingo is a "reinialization" or mid-level format" for IDE/ATA.) So, if I'm on right track I've got to get diagnostic disk or a utility from WD to perform the LLF ? I went to HP yesterday, but could'nt find the HDD manufac. name under specs posted. Only that it is 40G. I'll get over to my father's this weekend and open the case to confirm it's a WD.

Really appreciate the help, Thanks :) 

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
October 10, 2003 9:55:13 PM

So many times I've gone through this very same issue with others trying to define exactly what a LLF is, and trying to get the legal term defined, one says you can do a LLF one says you can't, even though the Maxtor diagnostics disk calls it exactly, Write Disk Pack or (Low Level Format), some diagnostic disks call it Zero Fill or Drive Wipe, I don't care what the manufacturer calls the program, but the program is used to wipe all previous information from the hardrive, and leave the hardrive in the exact same state it came from the manufacturer, removing all old boot records, viruses, Etc. Trust whoever you want to, but I've walked others through this exact same thing many times, whether you want me to help you is totaly your choice, but you'll still have this issue until you restore the drive to factory specs.

Two things you'll need to have, if its a WD drive, A SYS/FILES only Win98 bootdisk and the WD diagnostics disk.

Once the LLF is completed then you can do a normal OP/SYS installation.

October 12, 2003 1:34:45 AM

You aren't part of a home network are you? I have been having the same issue with my client computer attempting to connect through me incessantly. By the way Netzero doesn't allow dial up networking to handle the login progress. But I think you found that out.
October 13, 2003 5:57:25 PM

Hi 4ryan6, Sorry, I'm wasn't doubting you. I must have written poorly and given the wrong impression. Rather as a bit of a nOOb I had been having some trouble w/the various terms from different sources (in my line of work we must used very precise terms -so when I went to three sources and they all used three different terms I'm thinkin these must be three completely different things? =confusing for me). Anyway, we followed your advice and my father got the discs over-nighted and it successfully cured the problem.
Thanks much for your help

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
October 13, 2003 6:01:22 PM

Hi soberbender, no not part of a homenetwork. I'm still thinkin it was a trojan/backdoor virus. But following 4ryan6 advice it looks we've blown it off the harddrive and fixed the problem

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
October 14, 2003 12:57:33 AM

Cool Dude!!! Its clear sailing now. Did you go back to XP?

October 14, 2003 4:25:41 PM

Yup, Thanks again dude

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE
October 15, 2003 1:08:08 AM

Fantastic, Glad To Help! Ryan

!