XP SP2 restarts on shutdown

XP Pro SP2 restarts instead of shutting down. has started recently and none
of the standard solutions have helped (DEP, off; unchecked Auto Restart; all
patches up-to-date, no virus/ adware issue, APM - not available). Checked
BIOS and could find nothing wrong (BIOS was updated 6-8 months back without
problems).

Problem started after I updated/ installed a few programs - the first was
installing the trial version of Intervideo's HomeTheater (followed by
uninstalling). I later updated my Nero 6 Burning ROM to the latest NERO 6
Reloaded. PowerDVD6 and WinDVR3 were preinstalled (if this info helps).

I suspect driver conflict for lack of any other suitable explanation.

My config is P4 2.8GHz with a 160GB SATA HDD and 1GB DDR RAM, NVIDIA 5200
AGP Graphics card., 2 x DVD+/- R/RW/1xRAM drives.
18 answers Last reply
More about restarts shutdown

    Hi

    Have you tried the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro SP2 restarts instead of shutting down. has started recently and
    > none
    > of the standard solutions have helped (DEP, off; unchecked Auto Restart;
    > all
    > patches up-to-date, no virus/ adware issue, APM - not available). Checked
    > BIOS and could find nothing wrong (BIOS was updated 6-8 months back
    > without
    > problems).
    >
    > Problem started after I updated/ installed a few programs - the first was
    > installing the trial version of Intervideo's HomeTheater (followed by
    > uninstalling). I later updated my Nero 6 Burning ROM to the latest NERO 6
    > Reloaded. PowerDVD6 and WinDVR3 were preinstalled (if this info helps).
    >
    > I suspect driver conflict for lack of any other suitable explanation.
    >
    > My config is P4 2.8GHz with a 160GB SATA HDD and 1GB DDR RAM, NVIDIA 5200
    > AGP Graphics card., 2 x DVD+/- R/RW/1xRAM drives.

    Thanks Will . Yes - have been thru all solutions that came up on googling
    (including Jim Eshelman's site, Kellys Korner, ElderGeek, and MS KB...). Have
    drawn a blank so far.
    Suspect some kind of a software/ driver conflict as the problem started
    after I installed and removed Intervideo Hometheater and Nero Reloaded
    (update). Nero 6 has been on my system for ages without problems forcing me
    to suspect Intervideo Hometheater...

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have you tried the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > XP Pro SP2 restarts instead of shutting down. has started recently and
    > > none
    > > of the standard solutions have helped (DEP, off; unchecked Auto Restart;
    > > all
    > > patches up-to-date, no virus/ adware issue, APM - not available). Checked
    > > BIOS and could find nothing wrong (BIOS was updated 6-8 months back
    > > without
    > > problems).
    > >
    > > Problem started after I updated/ installed a few programs - the first was
    > > installing the trial version of Intervideo's HomeTheater (followed by
    > > uninstalling). I later updated my Nero 6 Burning ROM to the latest NERO 6
    > > Reloaded. PowerDVD6 and WinDVR3 were preinstalled (if this info helps).
    > >
    > > I suspect driver conflict for lack of any other suitable explanation.
    > >
    > > My config is P4 2.8GHz with a 160GB SATA HDD and 1GB DDR RAM, NVIDIA 5200
    > > AGP Graphics card., 2 x DVD+/- R/RW/1xRAM drives.

    I would turn off Auto Restart, then after the next failure check your Event
    Viewer for errors flagged with a red X.

    Right-click My Computer, click the Advanced tab, click Settings under
    Startup and Recovery , and then view the Automatically restart check box
    under System Failure . If the Automatically restart check box is selected,
    Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops unexpectedly. So
    UNcheck this check box.

    To launch Event Viewer
    Start > Run and type
    eventvwr.msc

    --
    Michael

    "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro SP2 restarts instead of shutting down. has started recently and
    > none
    > of the standard solutions have helped (DEP, off; unchecked Auto Restart;
    > all
    > patches up-to-date, no virus/ adware issue, APM - not available). Checked
    > BIOS and could find nothing wrong (BIOS was updated 6-8 months back
    > without
    > problems).
    >
    > Problem started after I updated/ installed a few programs - the first was
    > installing the trial version of Intervideo's HomeTheater (followed by
    > uninstalling). I later updated my Nero 6 Burning ROM to the latest NERO 6
    > Reloaded. PowerDVD6 and WinDVR3 were preinstalled (if this info helps).
    >
    > I suspect driver conflict for lack of any other suitable explanation.
    >
    > My config is P4 2.8GHz with a 160GB SATA HDD and 1GB DDR RAM, NVIDIA 5200
    > AGP Graphics card., 2 x DVD+/- R/RW/1xRAM drives.

    Hello Michael

    Had unchecked "restart windows automatically" earlier. Checked out the event
    viewer and noticed 2 consisted startup errors - one under APPLICATIONS and
    the other under SYSTEM. Pasting the text below for your referece:

    EVENT VIEWER - APPLICATION ERROR:
    PctSpk Error: category None
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PctSpk ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
    information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
    computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
    description; see Help and Support for details. The following
    information is part of the event: PctSpk error: 1063,
    StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed

    EVENT VIEWER - SYSTEM ERROR:
    Source:Service Control Manager
    Event:7000
    The bsaspi32 service failed to start due to the following error:

    I think the PctSpk error is/ was linked to my HP56 PCI Modem (have disabled
    and reinstalled that now).

    No clue on the System error and will be googling on that for more info. Any
    help is most welcome.

    Thanks

    > EVENT VIEWER - SYSTEM ERROR:
    > Source:Service Control Manager
    > Event:7000
    > The bsaspi32 service failed to start due to the following error:

    Generally what this error means is that the system cannot find the file
    bsapi32.

    This 7000 event may occur when a service was not uninstalled properly (not
    removed from the service database). The Service Control Manager is trying to
    start the service but the executable is not there. You may want to remove
    the entries for the service from the registry.

    This may also occur if one of the dependent files are missing or are the for
    the wrong OS version.

    Hello Michael

    I ran a google and it came up with two possible options on bsaspi32 - one is
    BHA Corp's ASPI file by the name bsaspi32.sys and the other is a driver
    bsaspi32.dll. I suppose it is the former (as my DVD drive came with a basic
    edition of BHA Corp's B's Gold and B's Clip software that I later uninstalled
    (uninstalled long ago).

    Then again, do you think this could be the reason for the restart? Will try
    locating bsaspi32 in the registry and delete the same (I suppose I just run a
    Edit-Find option with the name 'bsaspi32' and delete). Will revert on
    progress later today.

    'Michael T' wrote:

    > Generally what this error means is that the system cannot find the file
    > bsapi32.
    >
    > This 7000 event may occur when a service was not uninstalled properly (not
    > removed from the service database). The Service Control Manager is trying to
    > start the service but the executable is not there. You may want to remove
    > the entries for the service from the registry.
    >
    > This may also occur if one of the dependent files are missing or are the for
    > the wrong OS version.

    How does one remove the entry from the Registry? Ran a search in Regedit that
    came up with the service listed under 'Root' - but would not let me delete
    it.

    Tried reinstalling BHA Corp's software hoping that would solve the problem -
    no luck again (the bsaspi32 was not installed). So my earlier presumption on
    the origin of the service/ file was wrong.

    Welcome inputs on deleting bsaspi32 service from the registry.

    Thanks!

    > How does one remove the entry from the Registry? Ran a search in Regedit
    > that
    > came up with the service listed under 'Root' - but would not let me delete
    > it.

    Not sure why that is happening, but the good news is a Root setting is
    probably an unlikely cause of your problem.

    "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How does one remove the entry from the Registry? Ran a search in Regedit
    > that
    > came up with the service listed under 'Root' - but would not let me delete
    > it.

    You might try again in Safe Mode.

    By the way, Regedit does have a help file - the icon is on the menu bar.

    Thanks - will try thehelp option and the safe mode and revert. There was a
    separate bsaspi32 folder outside the root as well - though registry, beyond
    the very basics, usually has me all confused.

    Regards

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How does one remove the entry from the Registry? Ran a search in Regedit
    > > that
    > > came up with the service listed under 'Root' - but would not let me delete
    > > it.
    > >

    > You might try again in Safe Mode.
    >
    > By the way, Regedit does have a help file - the icon is on the menu bar.

    While many experts discourage the use of registry cleaner applications, I
    have used RegCleaner 4.3 many times with no known adverse consequences. I
    suppose the key phrase is "no known", so "use at your own risk" would
    probably be good advise.

    > Thanks - will try the help option and the safe mode and revert. There was
    > separate bsaspi32 folder outside the root as well - though registry,
    > beyond
    > the very basics, usually has me all confused.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Michael T" wrote:
    >
    >> "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How does one remove the entry from the Registry? Ran a search in
    >> > Regedit
    >> > that
    >> > came up with the service listed under 'Root' - but would not let me
    >> > delete
    >> > it.
    >> >

    >> You might try again in Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> By the way, Regedit does have a help file - the icon is on the menu bar.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks again! Have downloaded the RegCleaner4.3 and will work with it and
    revert. I suppose I can run a simple search in it for bsaspi32 and delete the
    relevant files.

    Regards

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > While many experts discourage the use of registry cleaner applications, I
    > have used RegCleaner 4.3 many times with no known adverse consequences. I
    > suppose the key phrase is "no known", so "use at your own risk" would
    > probably be good advise.
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    >

    > "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks - will try the help option and the safe mode and revert. There was
    > > separate bsaspi32 folder outside the root as well - though registry,
    > > beyond
    > > the very basics, usually has me all confused.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > "Michael T" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> You might try again in Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> By the way, Regedit does have a help file - the icon is on the menu bar.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Chanced upon this MS KB on Event ID 7000 - this is the same as what I have
    been facing with bsaspi32. Cannot make much sense of the write up though.
    Will give it a re-read later but will appreciate your interpretation (mine is
    a local/ standalone system)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314357&Product=winxp

    Regards

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > While many experts discourage the use of registry cleaner applications, I
    > have used RegCleaner 4.3 many times with no known adverse consequences. I
    > suppose the key phrase is "no known", so "use at your own risk" would
    > probably be good advise.
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    >

    > "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks - will try the help option and the safe mode and revert. There was
    > > separate bsaspi32 folder outside the root as well - though registry,
    > > beyond
    > > the very basics, usually has me all confused.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > "Michael T" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> You might try again in Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> By the way, Regedit does have a help file - the icon is on the menu bar.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hello Michael

    Found this after some more googling - probably hits the nail right on the
    head.
    http://www.mcse.ms/archive70-2004-4-531823.html

    bsaspi32 is a driver under Non-Plug and Play Drivers under Device
    Manager. It looks like uninstallation of some programs left behind some
    garbage.

    Below are instructions to disable it from starting up. Anyway, the driver
    failed to startup in the first place because the driver file is no longer in
    the system.

    ------------------------

    - Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    - Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    - On the View menu, click Show hidden devices.
    - Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers, and then locate the bsaspi32
    driver (the one with the yellow ! mark).
    - Right-click bsaspi32, and then click Properties.
    - Click the Driver tab, and then click Stop under Current Status (if
    not stopped already).
    - Under Startup, in the Type box, click to select Disabled, and then
    click OK.
    - Quit Device Manager.
    - Reboot
    Check EventLog and it should not be there anymore.

    Let me try this as well....

    Regards

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > While many experts discourage the use of registry cleaner applications, I
    > have used RegCleaner 4.3 many times with no known adverse consequences. I
    > suppose the key phrase is "no known", so "use at your own risk" would
    > probably be good advise.
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In a brief read of this URL it may be the case that you find
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ServiceName
    Where ServiceName is bsaspi32

    > Chanced upon this MS KB on Event ID 7000 - this is the same as what I have
    > been facing with bsaspi32. Cannot make much sense of the write up though.
    > Will give it a re-read later but will appreciate your interpretation (mine
    > is
    > a local/ standalone system)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314357&Product=winxp
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Michael T" wrote:
    >
    >> While many experts discourage the use of registry cleaner applications, I
    >> have used RegCleaner 4.3 many times with no known adverse consequences. I
    >> suppose the key phrase is "no known", so "use at your own risk" would
    >> probably be good advise.
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    >>

    >> "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks - will try the help option and the safe mode and revert. There
    >> > was
    >> > separate bsaspi32 folder outside the root as well - though registry,
    >> > beyond
    >> > the very basics, usually has me all confused.
    >> >
    >> > Regards

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    This looks very promising.

    Thanks for posting your findings.

    > Found this after some more googling - probably hits the nail right on the
    > head.
    > http://www.mcse.ms/archive70-2004-4-531823.html

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    That worked! Got rid of the system error in the event viewer. Yet to check if
    it has resolved my original problem 'pc restarts on shutdown. Will post later
    on that...

    Thanks

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > This looks very promising.
    >
    > Thanks for posting your findings.
    >
    > "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Found this after some more googling - probably hits the nail right on the
    > > head.
    > > http://www.mcse.ms/archive70-2004-4-531823.html

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Managed to rid the EventVwr of System and Application errors - but the
    restart on shutdown issue (original post) still remains. Guess I may have to
    settle for a clean instal if all other options fail.

    Any suggestions?

    Regards

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > This looks very promising.
    >
    > Thanks for posting your findings.
    >
    > "Vista" <Vista@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Found this after some more googling - probably hits the nail right on the
    > > head.
    > > http://www.mcse.ms/archive70-2004-4-531823.html

Windows XP