Need help with Setup of XP

July 26, 2005 5:59:05 AM

I just built a new computer and it was running fine, when all of a sudden it
crashed and would not restart. Eventually I tried to reinstall but it will
not work. Everytime i load the computer it simply goes to "boot from cd"
option and even if I got through setup when it rstarts and should take me
back into the second setup screen it just tries to boot from cd. can anyone
help please?

More about : setup

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:19:38 AM

What happens if you press no keys and wait for the boot from CD option
to go away?
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:09:00 PM

Hi

Have a look at the following articles by Michael Stevens regarding a
'Repair' and 'Clean' install of XP:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

"Clean Install Windows XP "

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Darko13" <Darko13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just built a new computer and it was running fine, when all of a sudden
>it
> crashed and would not restart. Eventually I tried to reinstall but it will
> not work. Everytime i load the computer it simply goes to "boot from cd"
> option and even if I got through setup when it rstarts and should take me
> back into the second setup screen it just tries to boot from cd. can
> anyone
> help please?
July 26, 2005 2:09:01 PM

Thanks for the quick post back but thats not my problem.I try to run a clean
install and I will put it in format the haddrive everything, but once its
done with the first part of the setup process and restarts the computer it
just doesnt prompt it back up instead it loads and goes to boot from cd
screen again. If I dont boot it will just tell me something is wrong with my
os which I knowsince there is none on this HD. Any other ideas?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have a look at the following articles by Michael Stevens regarding a
> 'Repair' and 'Clean' install of XP:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>
> "Clean Install Windows XP "
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Darko13" <Darko13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just built a new computer and it was running fine, when all of a sudden
> >it
> > crashed and would not restart. Eventually I tried to reinstall but it will
> > not work. Everytime i load the computer it simply goes to "boot from cd"
> > option and even if I got through setup when it rstarts and should take me
> > back into the second setup screen it just tries to boot from cd. can
> > anyone
> > help please?

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:09:02 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:21:04 -0700, Darko13 wrote:

> Thanks for the quick post back but thats not my problem.I try to run a clean
> install and I will put it in format the haddrive everything, but once its
> done with the first part of the setup process and restarts the computer it
> just doesnt prompt it back up instead it loads and goes to boot from cd
> screen again. If I dont boot it will just tell me something is wrong with my
> os which I knowsince there is none on this HD. Any other ideas?

You could try taking the CD out on that restart
-or-
when it restarts enter BIOS and turn off boot from CD. Exit and then let
setup proceed (leaving CD in drive). Had to do the BIOS shuffle with one
system that I had or setup would repeatedly restart.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I tried none of that works I just get an error message saying "error loading
operating system" if I do not boot from disk.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:21:04 -0700, Darko13 wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the quick post back but thats not my problem.I try to run a clean
> > install and I will put it in format the haddrive everything, but once its
> > done with the first part of the setup process and restarts the computer it
> > just doesnt prompt it back up instead it loads and goes to boot from cd
> > screen again. If I dont boot it will just tell me something is wrong with my
> > os which I knowsince there is none on this HD. Any other ideas?
>
> You could try taking the CD out on that restart
> -or-
> when it restarts enter BIOS and turn off boot from CD. Exit and then let
> setup proceed (leaving CD in drive). Had to do the BIOS shuffle with one
> system that I had or setup would repeatedly restart.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:50:49 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:57:05 -0700, Darko13 wrote:

> I tried none of that works I just get an error message saying "error loading
> operating system" if I do not boot from disk.

Darko, just to recap: You had a working system. Attempted a reinstall and
that did not work. So then you tried a clean install and cannot get past
the first reboot in the setup process.

Did you try beversol's suggestion of letting the "boot to CD" option time
out so that setup can continue?

By the way, what are you using to install Windows? A regular retail XP CD?
Or a generic OEM CD? Or?

You mentioned formatting the drive. What are you using to do that?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

To answer your question yes it was a working pc before it froze and than it
did not work at all. I am using a regular win xp home disk one has sp2 on it
the other has sp1. I try making it not boot from disk but than it simply
gives me the error that the operating system has an error.So I do not have
any idea of where to go from here if I could install windows I am sure I
could get things to work but it always gives me the "error loading operating
system" whenever I try and not boot from cd

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:57:05 -0700, Darko13 wrote:
>
> > I tried none of that works I just get an error message saying "error loading
> > operating system" if I do not boot from disk.
>
> Darko, just to recap: You had a working system. Attempted a reinstall and
> that did not work. So then you tried a clean install and cannot get past
> the first reboot in the setup process.
>
> Did you try beversol's suggestion of letting the "boot to CD" option time
> out so that setup can continue?
>
> By the way, what are you using to install Windows? A regular retail XP CD?
> Or a generic OEM CD? Or?
>
> You mentioned formatting the drive. What are you using to do that?
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:56:43 AM

Hi

You will see the 'boot from CD' message. Just let the PC boot by itself,
then the install should complete. If you have tried that and it failed, do
you see any error messages referering to that fact?

--

> Thanks for the quick post back but thats not my problem.I try to run a
> clean
> install and I will put it in format the haddrive everything, but once its
> done with the first part of the setup process and restarts the computer it
> just doesnt prompt it back up instead it loads and goes to boot from cd
> screen again. If I dont boot it will just tell me something is wrong with
> my
> os which I knowsince there is none on this HD. Any other ideas?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have a look at the following articles by Michael Stevens regarding a
>> 'Repair' and 'Clean' install of XP:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> "Clean Install Windows XP "
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Darko13" <Darko13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just built a new computer and it was running fine, when all of a
>> >sudden
>> >it
>> > crashed and would not restart. Eventually I tried to reinstall but it
>> > will
>> > not work. Everytime i load the computer it simply goes to "boot from
>> > cd"
>> > option and even if I got through setup when it rstarts and should take
>> > me
>> > back into the second setup screen it just tries to boot from cd. can
>> > anyone
>> > help please?

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 10:56:44 AM

yes like i have been saying if i let it boot by itself it gives me the error
message of "error in loading operating system"

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You will see the 'boot from CD' message. Just let the PC boot by itself,
> then the install should complete. If you have tried that and it failed, do
> you see any error messages referering to that fact?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Darko13" <Darko13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the quick post back but thats not my problem.I try to run a
> > clean
> > install and I will put it in format the haddrive everything, but once its
> > done with the first part of the setup process and restarts the computer it
> > just doesnt prompt it back up instead it loads and goes to boot from cd
> > screen again. If I dont boot it will just tell me something is wrong with
> > my
> > os which I knowsince there is none on this HD. Any other ideas?
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Have a look at the following articles by Michael Stevens regarding a
> >> 'Repair' and 'Clean' install of XP:
> >>
> >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >>
> >> "Clean Install Windows XP "
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "Darko13" <Darko13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:03:53 PM

Hi

I can't understand that error message if you are performing a 'Clean'
install of XP, unless for some reason, the startup files aren't being copied
to the hard disk/partition properly - i.e. ntldr, ntdetect.com etc. Have
you tried installing onto a different hard disk/partition using your XP CD
to see if that is possible?

--

> yes like i have been saying if i let it boot by itself it gives me the
> error
> message of "error in loading operating system"
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You will see the 'boot from CD' message. Just let the PC boot by itself,
>> then the install should complete. If you have tried that and it failed,
>> do
>> you see any error messages referering to that fact?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Darko13" <Darko13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the quick post back but thats not my problem.I try to run a
>> > clean
>> > install and I will put it in format the haddrive everything, but once
>> > its
>> > done with the first part of the setup process and restarts the computer
>> > it
>> > just doesnt prompt it back up instead it loads and goes to boot from cd
>> > screen again. If I dont boot it will just tell me something is wrong
>> > with
>> > my
>> > os which I knowsince there is none on this HD. Any other ideas?

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:21:39 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:25:03 -0700, Darko13 wrote:

> To answer your question yes it was a working pc before it froze and than it
> did not work at all. I am using a regular win xp home disk one has sp2 on it
> the other has sp1. I try making it not boot from disk but than it simply
> gives me the error that the operating system has an error.So I do not have
> any idea of where to go from here if I could install windows I am sure I
> could get things to work but it always gives me the "error loading operating
> system" whenever I try and not boot from cd

I can't tell from your information where setup is going wrong for you. It
may be that there is a problem with one of the hardware devices. A common
troubleshooting technique for setup problems is to remove or disable all
unnecessary hardware. Get XP installed and running. Then add devices back
one at a time.

The repeated "no operating system found" messages could indicate a problem
with the hard drive but that's not conclusive from the info you've shared
so far. There are tools that can be downloaded from the drive manufacturer
that can test the health of the hard drive. Might consider giving those a
try.

Or it could be that you are skipping a necessary step or using a wrong tool
to prepare the drive for a clean install.

Here's a good reference site for performing a clean install that you might
want to look over. The step-by-step format of the article is very complete
and helpful:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:01:05 PM

I believe after search the web the problem is with my bios and I need to
update it but I am not sure if that is possible without a windows installl.

!