How to update SP1 to SP2

July 26, 2005 2:52:00 PM

Hi,

I would like to update my PC (XP Pro SP1) with SP2 pack.
After having checked on Microsoft website and after having selected - keep
your PC updated - I got a list of 31 updates to install.

Would this mean that all those updates equal an SP2 pack installation?

After this installation, will my PC be referenced with XP Pro SP2 or will it
still be XP SP1 with 31 updates....?

Can you give me a link where I can found the entire package or do I have to
order an installation CD?

Thanks for your help

Erick

More about : update sp1 sp2

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:52:01 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:52:00 GMT, Erick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to update my PC (XP Pro SP1) with SP2 pack.
> After having checked on Microsoft website and after having selected - keep
> your PC updated - I got a list of 31 updates to install.
>
> Would this mean that all those updates equal an SP2 pack installation?
>
> After this installation, will my PC be referenced with XP Pro SP2 or will it
> still be XP SP1 with 31 updates....?
>
> Can you give me a link where I can found the entire package or do I have to
> order an installation CD?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Erick

Windows XP SP2 -
Download:

Order CD:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi,

I did find this link too but mentioned: "Package for IT Professionals and
Developers"....
Is this no problem for a common user like me?

Thanks

Erick

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:52:00 GMT, Erick wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to update my PC (XP Pro SP1) with SP2 pack.
> > After having checked on Microsoft website and after having selected -
keep
> > your PC updated - I got a list of 31 updates to install.
> >
> > Would this mean that all those updates equal an SP2 pack installation?
> >
> > After this installation, will my PC be referenced with XP Pro SP2 or
will it
> > still be XP SP1 with 31 updates....?
> >
> > Can you give me a link where I can found the entire package or do I have
> > order an installation CD?
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Erick
>
> Windows XP SP2 -
> Download:

8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

> Order CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
lt.mspx
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Related resources
July 26, 2005 4:57:49 PM

I started downloading but it is mentioned that for updating ONE single
computer, I have to make use of Microsoft Update link
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....

The problem is that my PC has been scanned, 31 updates are proposed but no
trace of SP2 in sight.

regards,

Erick

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:52:00 GMT, Erick wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to update my PC (XP Pro SP1) with SP2 pack.
> > After having checked on Microsoft website and after having selected -
keep
> > your PC updated - I got a list of 31 updates to install.
> >
> > Would this mean that all those updates equal an SP2 pack installation?
> >
> > After this installation, will my PC be referenced with XP Pro SP2 or
will it
> > still be XP SP1 with 31 updates....?
> >
> > Can you give me a link where I can found the entire package or do I have
> > order an installation CD?
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Erick
>
> Windows XP SP2 -
> Download:

8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

> Order CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
lt.mspx
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 4:57:50 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:57:49 GMT, Erick wrote:

> I started downloading but it is mentioned that for updating ONE single
> computer, I have to make use of Microsoft Update link
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....
>
> The problem is that my PC has been scanned, 31 updates are proposed but no
> trace of SP2 in sight.

Erick, you can use that download on a standalone system. I've used it on my
desktop and portable PC and have directed many other single PC users to it.
The cautions are old from when SP2 was first released. They diverted
consumer traffic back to the update servers that were managing bandwidth
for the huge amount of 'new release' traffic.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Erick,

>> Is this no problem for a common user like me?

No problem. It can be applied in stand-alone PCs as well.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Erick" <emjhnospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I did find this link too but mentioned: "Package for IT Professionals and
> Developers"....
> Is this no problem for a common user like me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Erick
>

> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:52:00 GMT, Erick wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to update my PC (XP Pro SP1) with SP2 pack.
>> > After having checked on Microsoft website and after having selected -
> keep
>> > your PC updated - I got a list of 31 updates to install.
>> >
>> > Would this mean that all those updates equal an SP2 pack installation?
>> >
>> > After this installation, will my PC be referenced with XP Pro SP2 or
> will it
>> > still be XP SP1 with 31 updates....?
>> >
>> > Can you give me a link where I can found the entire package or do I
>> > have
>> > order an installation CD?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help
>> >
>> > Erick
>>
>> Windows XP SP2 -
>> Download:

> 8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>>
>> Order CD:
>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
> lt.mspx
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

July 26, 2005 10:25:54 PM

On following MS webpage, I founded: What to Know Before You Download and
Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

1. How Do I Know if My Computer Is Ready to Install SP2?

Go to the Windows Update Web site. Windows Update will scan your computer.
If it lists Windows XP SP2 as an available update, then your computer is
ready for SP2.

Does that mean that I have first to install 31 updates because I don't see
SP2 update available after having my PC scanned by Microsoft?
2. Get the latest Windows updates.

Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely up-to-date
with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the Windows Update
Web site, click Express Install, and then install all high priority updates
listed.

Do you recommend first install proposed updates, than have a check again to
see if SP2 is proposed.If not, install from downloaded file.....OR.....
install SP2 from now?

Thanks,

Erick

> Erick,
>
> >> Is this no problem for a common user like me?
>
> No problem. It can be applied in stand-alone PCs as well.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Erick" <emjhnospam@pandora.be> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did find this link too but mentioned: "Package for IT Professionals
and
> > Developers"....
> > Is this no problem for a common user like me?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Erick
> >

> > "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

> > keep

> > will it

> >> Windows XP SP2 -
> >> Download:

> > 8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
> >>
> >> Order CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
> > lt.mspx
> >> --
> >> Sharon F
> >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:25:55 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:13:23 GMT, Erick wrote:

> On following MS webpage, I founded: What to Know Before You Download and
> Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> 1. How Do I Know if My Computer Is Ready to Install SP2?
>
> Go to the Windows Update Web site. Windows Update will scan your computer.
> If it lists Windows XP SP2 as an available update, then your computer is
> ready for SP2.
>
> Does that mean that I have first to install 31 updates because I don't see
> SP2 update available after having my PC scanned by Microsoft?
> 2. Get the latest Windows updates.
>
> Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely up-to-date
> with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the Windows Update
> Web site, click Express Install, and then install all high priority updates
> listed.
>
> Do you recommend first install proposed updates, than have a check again to
> see if SP2 is proposed.If not, install from downloaded file.....OR.....
> install SP2 from now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erick

1 and 2. Those directions are for using the Windows Update site to install
SP2. By installing SP2 from the download package, you get all the SP1
updates as well, so no need to install the 31 updates. You will, however,
need to download the 20-odd updates since SP2 has been released. But you
can worry about those after SP2 is installed.

I think the most important thing when preparing for SP2 is to be as sure as
you can be that there is no resident malware or viruses. This is where most
folks get tripped up - installing on a machine that is "not quite right"
due to malware.

Another important item: backup important data. While the process of
applying SP2 is straight forward, it is a major change to the system. As
such, backing up important data is a safeguard against the possibility of
the installation going awry.

I think the Jupiter Jones' SP2 checklist is a better one for you to use
when installing from the downloaded SP2. It covers all of the points in the
MS article and then some:

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
July 26, 2005 10:25:56 PM

Hi Ramesh and Sharon,

Thank you very much for your comments.
I will certainly study that issue before starting this update.
I hope you gave me enough advices to perform a successfull update.
Nevertherless, it could be that I will ask for some additional clarification
before starting.

Again, thank you.

Erick

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:13:23 GMT, Erick wrote:
>
> > On following MS webpage, I founded: What to Know Before You Download and
> > Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
> >
> > 1. How Do I Know if My Computer Is Ready to Install SP2?
> >
> > Go to the Windows Update Web site. Windows Update will scan your
computer.
> > If it lists Windows XP SP2 as an available update, then your computer is
> > ready for SP2.
> >
> > Does that mean that I have first to install 31 updates because I don't
see
> > SP2 update available after having my PC scanned by Microsoft?
> > 2. Get the latest Windows updates.
> >
> > Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
up-to-date
> > with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the Windows
Update
> > Web site, click Express Install, and then install all high priority
updates
> > listed.
> >
> > Do you recommend first install proposed updates, than have a check again
> > see if SP2 is proposed.If not, install from downloaded file.....OR.....
> > install SP2 from now?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Erick
>
> 1 and 2. Those directions are for using the Windows Update site to install
> SP2. By installing SP2 from the download package, you get all the SP1
> updates as well, so no need to install the 31 updates. You will, however,
> need to download the 20-odd updates since SP2 has been released. But you
> can worry about those after SP2 is installed.
>
> I think the most important thing when preparing for SP2 is to be as sure
as
> you can be that there is no resident malware or viruses. This is where
most
> folks get tripped up - installing on a machine that is "not quite right"
> due to malware.
>
> Another important item: backup important data. While the process of
> applying SP2 is straight forward, it is a major change to the system. As
> such, backing up important data is a safeguard against the possibility of
> the installation going awry.
>
> I think the Jupiter Jones' SP2 checklist is a better one for you to use
> when installing from the downloaded SP2. It covers all of the points in
the
> MS article and then some:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
July 26, 2005 10:48:30 PM

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:57:49 GMT, Erick wrote:
>
> > I started downloading but it is mentioned that for updating ONE single
> > computer, I have to make use of Microsoft Update link
> > http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default....
> >
> > The problem is that my PC has been scanned, 31 updates are proposed but
no
> > trace of SP2 in sight.
>
> Erick, you can use that download on a standalone system. I've used it on
my
> desktop and portable PC and have directed many other single PC users to
it.
> The cautions are old from when SP2 was first released. They diverted
> consumer traffic back to the update servers that were managing bandwidth
> for the huge amount of 'new release' traffic.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Like Erik, I went to the Update link and found several updates, but no trace
of SP2. I have installed several updates that were released for both SP1
and SP2.
I understand Sharon's response to mean that I can use the SP2 CD to update
my system. Should I remove the updates that were released after SP2?
Jim
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:48:31 PM

Jim;
No, do not uninstall any of the updates, they will not be a problem.
Install SP-2 from CD as Sharon suggested.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Like Erik, I went to the Update link and found several updates, but no
> trace
> of SP2. I have installed several updates that were released for both SP1
> and SP2.
> I understand Sharon's response to mean that I can use the SP2 CD to update
> my system. Should I remove the updates that were released after SP2?
> Jim
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:43:02 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:32:01 GMT, Erick wrote:

> Hi Ramesh and Sharon,
>
> Thank you very much for your comments.
> I will certainly study that issue before starting this update.
> I hope you gave me enough advices to perform a successfull update.
> Nevertherless, it could be that I will ask for some additional clarification
> before starting.
>
> Again, thank you.
>
> Erick

You're welcome and no problem if you have more questions - someone will be
able to answer them.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

> Jim;
> No, do not uninstall any of the updates, they will not be a problem.
> Install SP-2 from CD as Sharon suggested.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> > Like Erik, I went to the Update link and found several updates, but no
> > trace
> > of SP2. I have installed several updates that were released for both
SP1
> > and SP2.
> > I understand Sharon's response to mean that I can use the SP2 CD to
update
> > my system. Should I remove the updates that were released after SP2?
> > Jim

Thanks! Not having to remove updates will save some time...

Sunday is the day for me to do the big update (nothing quite like waiting
until the last minute!)

Jim
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 12:54:46 AM

Erick,

Type Winver in Start-Run to know the SP level. BTW, here is an interesting
article:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is not available to install from Windows Update
and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885627

If that does not help, your best option is to get the network installer pack
and install SP2. As SP2 is a cumulative update, I don't think you need to
install all the currently displayed updated in the WU site, unless I'm
missing something. But be sure to visit the WU site in the aftermath of SP2
installation.

Useful references for you:

Detailed installation walkthrough for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875364

Windows XP SP2 - FAQs & Best Practices:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and
Developers:

> On following MS webpage, I founded: What to Know Before You Download and
> Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> 1. How Do I Know if My Computer Is Ready to Install SP2?
>
> Go to the Windows Update Web site. Windows Update will scan your computer.
> If it lists Windows XP SP2 as an available update, then your computer is
> ready for SP2.
>
> Does that mean that I have first to install 31 updates because I don't see
> SP2 update available after having my PC scanned by Microsoft?
> 2. Get the latest Windows updates.
>
> Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely up-to-date
> with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the Windows Update
> Web site, click Express Install, and then install all high priority
> updates
> listed.
>
> Do you recommend first install proposed updates, than have a check again
> see if SP2 is proposed.If not, install from downloaded file.....OR.....
> install SP2 from now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erick
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Erick,

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 2:26:02 AM

Jim;
Just make sure the computer is ready.
You are in a great position since you are planning in advance.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

!