DVD Not Reading Media

G'day.

My DVD drive fails to read any media unless the computer is booted up with
some form of readable media already in the drive. This dosn't appear to be
related to this particualr drive, as I've ungraded to this Pioneer DVD drive
from a Lite-on CD-RW drive, and the problem still persists. If the computer
is booted up with a readable disc already in the drive, then it has no
problem at all in reading all media types.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.
--
RainSong

Have you tried to update or upgrade the software that came with the DVD or
the CD drive? A firmware update for the Pioneer drive or the other?

j;-)

"RainSong" wrote:

> G'day.
>
> My DVD drive fails to read any media unless the computer is booted up with
> some form of readable media already in the drive. This dosn't appear to be
> related to this particualr drive, as I've ungraded to this Pioneer DVD drive
> from a Lite-on CD-RW drive, and the problem still persists. If the computer
> is booted up with a readable disc already in the drive, then it has no
> problem at all in reading all media types.
>
> Your assistance is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> RainSong

Yes. Both software and firmware are the latest versions. Doing upgrades to
these has had no effect on my problem.
--
RainSong

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Have you tried to update or upgrade the software that came with the DVD or
> the CD drive? A firmware update for the Pioneer drive or the other?
>
> j;-)
>
> "RainSong" wrote:
>
> > G'day.
> >
> > My DVD drive fails to read any media unless the computer is booted up with
> > some form of readable media already in the drive. This dosn't appear to be
> > related to this particualr drive, as I've ungraded to this Pioneer DVD drive
> > from a Lite-on CD-RW drive, and the problem still persists. If the computer
> > is booted up with a readable disc already in the drive, then it has no
> > problem at all in reading all media types.
> >
> > Your assistance is appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > --
> > RainSong

What is the ID string and the firmware version for the Pioneer drive?
What is the name of the burning software that came with the Pioneer drive?
Are you using both drives you mentioned in your computer? When did you first
notice the problem.

A bit o info, see link:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

J;-)

"RainSong" wrote:

> Yes. Both software and firmware are the latest versions. Doing upgrades to
> these has had no effect on my problem.
> --
> RainSong
>

> "Jaymon" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried to update or upgrade the software that came with the DVD or
> > the CD drive? A firmware update for the Pioneer drive or the other?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "RainSong" wrote:
> >
> > > G'day.
> > >
> > > My DVD drive fails to read any media unless the computer is booted up with
> > > some form of readable media already in the drive. This dosn't appear to be
> > > related to this particualr drive, as I've ungraded to this Pioneer DVD drive
> > > from a Lite-on CD-RW drive, and the problem still persists. If the computer
> > > is booted up with a readable disc already in the drive, then it has no
> > > problem at all in reading all media types.
> > >
> > > Your assistance is appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > > --
> > > RainSong

The device probably needs a better driver to do it right.

--
Mark L. Ferguson