Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Signal

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Desktops
  • Internet
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 12, 2004 5:01:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

My signal from my desktop to my wireless laptop in another room is low to
very low. Is there anyway I can boost the signal.

More about : signal

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 12, 2004 8:21:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Jcass <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My signal from my desktop to my wireless laptop in another room is low to
> very low. Is there anyway I can boost the signal.

Knock down intervening walls.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2004 2:56:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:01:12 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Jcass"
<jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My signal from my desktop to my wireless laptop in another room is low to
>very low. Is there anyway I can boost the signal.

As Ian said, knock down intervening walls. The problem is the material
they're made from....

More seriously tho:
try using external aerials on either router or laptop or both

try a USB wifi adapter in the laptop - tehy have long cables and can be
repositioned for stronger signal

try moving the router as high up as possible - above the ceiling if you
can. The ceiling has less metal to interfere with the radio signal than the
walls.

Good luck. You just found out that the 300 ft range of wifi is a little
overexaggerated!
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc...;


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 14, 2004 2:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:01:12 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Jcass"
> <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>My signal from my desktop to my wireless laptop in another room is low to
>>very low. Is there anyway I can boost the signal.
>
> As Ian said, knock down intervening walls. The problem is the material
> they're made from....

I can lose signal 5m away from my router.
1m thick stone chimneybreast is bad for wireless.
>
> More seriously tho:
> try using external aerials on either router or laptop or both

Also, look round various sites, for reflector designs.
Simply putting the router in the appropriate corner of the room, and
lining that corner with foil may work.
>
> try a USB wifi adapter in the laptop - tehy have long cables and can be
> repositioned for stronger signal
>
> try moving the router as high up as possible - above the ceiling if you
> can. The ceiling has less metal to interfere with the radio signal than the
> walls.
>
> Good luck. You just found out that the 300 ft range of wifi is a little
> overexaggerated!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 15, 2004 1:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Ian Stirling" <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:euSoc.3146$wI4.311040@wards.force9.net...
> Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:01:12 +0100, in alt.internet.wireless , "Jcass"
> > <jcass1960@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>My signal from my desktop to my wireless laptop in another room is low
to
> >>very low. Is there anyway I can boost the signal.
> >
> > As Ian said, knock down intervening walls. The problem is the material
> > they're made from....
>
> I can lose signal 5m away from my router.
> 1m thick stone chimneybreast is bad for wireless.
> >
> > More seriously tho:
> > try using external aerials on either router or laptop or both
>
> Also, look round various sites, for reflector designs.
> Simply putting the router in the appropriate corner of the room, and
> lining that corner with foil may work.
> >
> > try a USB wifi adapter in the laptop - tehy have long cables and can be
> > repositioned for stronger signal
> >
> > try moving the router as high up as possible - above the ceiling if you
> > can. The ceiling has less metal to interfere with the radio signal than
the
> > walls.
> >
> > Good luck. You just found out that the 300 ft range of wifi is a little
> > overexaggerated!

Thanks for the info. My walls are reinforced concrete.
!