File missing or corrupt (nls files)

July 26, 2005 5:08:56 PM

I have got a XP Pro SP2 machine that has started to fail on boot.

There error message previously (sorry I forget the name) was a

Windows cannot start, the file ******* is missing or corrupt.

I did a in-place upgrade on the XP install and the next boot gave me

Windows cannot start, the file /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/cp_850.nls is missing
or corrupt.

I have searched round and the the cp_850.nls doesn't appear to be a
windows XP file. I have tried a Safe Mode boot, Last Know Configuration
boot, with no sucess. In the registry (ERD Commander) the path

\\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NLS\CodePage

there is a key for 850 as "cp_850.nls", as this is a file that is not in
Windows XP I renamed to "c_850.nls" but the system still fails to boot
with the same error.

In recovery console I have performed a dskchk /r which also didn't solve
the problem.

I was today talking to a friend whom as a PC in the same state with the
following message:

Windows cannont start, the file /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/c_437.nls is missing
or corrupt.

Is this a coincidence or some sort of virus/attact? And can anyone help
me get this system running.

Thanks for your time in reading, and responding in advance.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:09:32 AM

Install XP to a new folder, and 'take ownership' of the old data, if you can't correct the registry.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

!