Win98 Upgrade

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I read a post ages ago that said how you can instal Win98 / Win98SE with a upgrade disk (not Full) on a new PC without the need to obtain a Win95 OS CD.

Does anyone know how to do this,

Thanks

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is a way, but I don't remember. I think you might just need to made a blank file named win.com or win.ini or something.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
You must delete the file win.com which is in the main windows folder on your harddrive. Then reboot the computer from a win98 startup disk or installation CD. Run the setup program from DOS making sure you state the folder name of the original win98 installation when asked where you want windows to be installed.

This does work as I've done it many times before Just be sure (if you haven't already done so) to create a startup floppy disk with your old installation of win98 before you delete the win.com file or you might find yourself up sh*t creek without a paddle as it were!