CD drives acting strange

I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
However the problem still is happening.
Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as
trying some registery suggestions people have made.
Any ideas are welcome.
Ellis

you may have re-installed the drivers for the cd rom drive and the cd-r/rw
drive but did you try re-installing the ASPI layer for windows that is NEEDED
to correctly work any sort of cd rom drive?

"Ellis" wrote:

> I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
> However the problem still is happening.
> Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
> any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
> Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
> triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
> right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
> will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
> already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
> I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as
> trying some registery suggestions people have made.
> Any ideas are welcome.
> Ellis

How would I do that? My technical knowledge is higher than most but I'm
not knowledgeable about an ASPI layer.
After a quick Google, it might be important that I haven't been using
any 3rd party burners like Nero, etc.
If this is what it is, please tell me more of what to do.
Thanks,
Ellis

Master Jedi wrote:

> you may have re-installed the drivers for the cd rom drive and the cd-r/rw
> drive but did you try re-installing the ASPI layer for windows that is NEEDED
> to correctly work any sort of cd rom drive?
>
> "Ellis" wrote:
>

>>I've posted on this board a week or so ago, and I've tried a few things.
>> However the problem still is happening.
>>Both my CD-Rom and CD-R drives started doing the same thing. When I load
>>any CD after a reboot, it works fine. However a second CD shows up in
>>Explorer with the same labels and directories as the first one. It also
>>triggers the same autoplay as the first one. (of course it doesn't work
>>right) There are also some game CDs that will start the game menu, but
>>will give a message later to put the correct CD in the drive (and it is
>>already). It seems that some sort of reset isn't working.
>>I've replaced the IDE cable and reinstalled both drivers as well as
>>trying some registery suggestions people have made.
>>Any ideas are welcome.
>>Ellis

TRENDING THREADS