Can I suspend USB power when going into standby?

My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
happily running. Hmm.

I looked in power options, nothing.
I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off as

the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically means

somehow turning the USB power on and off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about suspend power standby

    I'll do what the hell I want. Thanks for the help... Go worry about
    world poverty or something else.

    Tick is the local troll, ignore her. She is right, it's her demeanor that
    blows. However, a little advice, don't rag on anyone until you get an answer
    to your question, most of the locals will avoid you(not all). and cross
    posting is preferable.
    Good luck.

    jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:
    > My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
    > warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
    > into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
    > the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
    > happily running. Hmm.
    >

    > I looked in power options, nothing.
    > I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
    > keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
    > I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.
    >

    > Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off
    > as
    >
    > the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically
    > means
    >
    > somehow turning the USB power on and off.
    >

    > Anyone got any ideas?
    >

    > Thanks.

    Please do *NOT* multipost. If you must post to more than one group,
    cross-post.

    That's is frowned upon, much like posting info concerning Mac's to an XP
    newsgroup, right hypocrite?
    IFC
    > jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:
    >> My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
    >> warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
    >> into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
    >> the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
    >> happily running. Hmm.
    >>

    >> I looked in power options, nothing.
    >> I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
    >> keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
    >> I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.
    >>

    >> Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off
    >> as
    >>
    >> the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically
    >> means
    >>
    >> somehow turning the USB power on and off.
    >>

    >> Anyone got any ideas?
    >>

    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Please do *NOT* multipost. If you must post to more than one group,
    > cross-post.

    Making tons of friends I see, as usual lol.

    > jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:
    >> My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
    >> warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
    >> into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
    >> the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
    >> happily running. Hmm.
    >>

    >> I looked in power options, nothing.
    >> I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
    >> keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
    >> I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.
    >>

    >> Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off
    >> as
    >>
    >> the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically
    >> means
    >>
    >> somehow turning the USB power on and off.
    >>

    >> Anyone got any ideas?
    >>

    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Please do *NOT* multipost. If you must post to more than one group,
    > cross-post.

    It's hardly life or death, I'm not going to bow down to some ridiculous
    culture. Maybe I need to go to finidhing school.

    In the device manager expand Universal Serial Bus Controller, right click on
    USB Root Hub, select properties, select power management. Your option is in
    there.

    > It's hardly life or death, I'm not going to bow down to some ridiculous
    > culture. Maybe I need to go to finidhing school.

USB Power Windows XP