Inspiron Memory Problem

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b } Memory
May 17, 2005 12:29:44 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m running XP, and it has a problem with
memory.

It has 2x256 MB SODIMMs (PC2100 DDR). When one SODIMM is installed,
there are no problems.

However, when I install a second SODIMM, the additional memory is
detected, XP starts fine, but then it blue screens (usually
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error) within 5 minutes. Upon reboot, the bios
encounters a memory error and then adjusts itself automatically to use
only one SODIMM. Reseating the memory causes it to detect the other
SODIMM, and the problem repeats.

I have tried swapping out each of the SODIMMs with another SODIMM that
is compatible with the same result. All three of my SODIMMs work fine
when used by themselves, but it always fails when using a second
SODIMM.

Therefore, I assume that the problem is not with the memory modules,
but rather with memory management on the motherboard. Anyone know how
to go about fixing this type of problem (without installing a new
motherboard)?

Thanks,
-Jeff
May 17, 2005 3:56:07 PM

where did you get the memory?
<jeff.dyck@usask.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 600m running XP, and it has a problem with
> memory.
>
> It has 2x256 MB SODIMMs (PC2100 DDR). When one SODIMM is installed,
> there are no problems.
>
> However, when I install a second SODIMM, the additional memory is
> detected, XP starts fine, but then it blue screens (usually
> MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error) within 5 minutes. Upon reboot, the bios
> encounters a memory error and then adjusts itself automatically to use
> only one SODIMM. Reseating the memory causes it to detect the other
> SODIMM, and the problem repeats.
>
> I have tried swapping out each of the SODIMMs with another SODIMM that
> is compatible with the same result. All three of my SODIMMs work fine
> when used by themselves, but it always fails when using a second
> SODIMM.
>
> Therefore, I assume that the problem is not with the memory modules,
> but rather with memory management on the motherboard. Anyone know how
> to go about fixing this type of problem (without installing a new
> motherboard)?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 17, 2005 10:05:20 PM

jeff.dyck@usask.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 600m running XP, and it has a problem with
> memory.
>
> It has 2x256 MB SODIMMs (PC2100 DDR). When one SODIMM is installed,
> there are no problems.
>
> However, when I install a second SODIMM, the additional memory is
> detected, XP starts fine, but then it blue screens (usually
> MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error) within 5 minutes. Upon reboot, the bios
> encounters a memory error and then adjusts itself automatically to use
> only one SODIMM. Reseating the memory causes it to detect the other
> SODIMM, and the problem repeats.
>
> I have tried swapping out each of the SODIMMs with another SODIMM that
> is compatible with the same result. All three of my SODIMMs work fine
> when used by themselves, but it always fails when using a second
> SODIMM.
>
> Therefore, I assume that the problem is not with the memory modules,
> but rather with memory management on the motherboard. Anyone know how
> to go about fixing this type of problem (without installing a new
> motherboard)?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

When you tested the memory inidividually, did you try them on each slot?
Have you tried running memtest86 or a similar program for any period
of time?
a b } Memory
May 17, 2005 10:40:26 PM

If I had to guess you have memory that is not the same you do not mention
where you got the memory.
Check the labels on the memory it is probably different

Wayne

<jeff.dyck@usask.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 600m running XP, and it has a problem with
> memory.
>
> It has 2x256 MB SODIMMs (PC2100 DDR). When one SODIMM is installed,
> there are no problems.
>
> However, when I install a second SODIMM, the additional memory is
> detected, XP starts fine, but then it blue screens (usually
> MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error) within 5 minutes. Upon reboot, the bios
> encounters a memory error and then adjusts itself automatically to use
> only one SODIMM. Reseating the memory causes it to detect the other
> SODIMM, and the problem repeats.
>
> I have tried swapping out each of the SODIMMs with another SODIMM that
> is compatible with the same result. All three of my SODIMMs work fine
> when used by themselves, but it always fails when using a second
> SODIMM.
>
> Therefore, I assume that the problem is not with the memory modules,
> but rather with memory management on the motherboard. Anyone know how
> to go about fixing this type of problem (without installing a new
> motherboard)?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jeff

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 12, 2005 11:28:10 PM

> where did you get the memory?
2 of the modules shipped with my Dell and it worked fine for a year and
a half.
The other module, I got from an Ebay seller - it is compatible with the
ones I have (PC2100, 2.5v, non-ECC).

> When you tested the memory inidividually, did you try them on each slot?
Yup - I rotated them and tried all 3 combinations. Same result for
each.

> Have you tried running memtest86 or a similar program for any period of time?
Yeah - it never throws errors with any one of the modules installed,
but with any two, it throws errors like mad during the third test.

>Check the labels on the memory it is probably different
I have 2 Hynix and 1 Samsung, all PC2100, 2.5v, non-ECC. They should be
compatible.

Therefore, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the memory modules.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and solve this problem:
-Dell Inspiron 600m laptop
-works fine with 1 memory module installed
-memory errors occur when there are 2 memory modules installed
-the problem is (almost certainly) not the memory modules

Thanks,
-j
!