D-Link Wireless Router and WinProxy

Hi everyone. I have a LAN setup to share my Cable connection using
WinProxy. I have one computer that is dedicated to WinProxy set up to
do this. My LAN does not use DHCP, we just manually assign the
addresses. I would like to hook up a D-Link DI-514 wireless router to
my network so I can connect to the LAN with a wireless laptop. I need
some advice as to how to configure things to accomplish this. I
suspect that I have to use the WAN port on the D-Link, and configure
the router to use the WinProxy as a gateway, but I'm not sure. Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--Chris

You could do as you described: assign a static IP address to the router's
WAN port just as you've been doing with your client computers. Then
configure the router to use a different subnet on its LAN side than you're
currently using on your WinProxy LAN. With this configuration, computers on
the WinProxy LAN will be unable to establish TCP connections to computers on
the router's LAN (wireless clients and maybe some wired clients too).

I would prefer to abandon the WinProxy and let the wireless router share the
cable connection. Besides making all your clients peers so that Microsoft
networking will work with all your clients, it also means that you won't
have to boot up the WinProxy computer every time you want Internet access on
some other computer.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Christopher Barranco" <chris@flyingcowofdoom.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I have a LAN setup to share my Cable connection using
> WinProxy. I have one computer that is dedicated to WinProxy set up to
> do this. My LAN does not use DHCP, we just manually assign the
> addresses. I would like to hook up a D-Link DI-514 wireless router to
> my network so I can connect to the LAN with a wireless laptop. I need
> some advice as to how to configure things to accomplish this. I
> suspect that I have to use the WAN port on the D-Link, and configure
> the router to use the WinProxy as a gateway, but I'm not sure. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Chris

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I agree with "coz". Just plug it into any old LAN port and configure it to
work as an Access Point, not a router. You already have the router
(Winproxy) :)

-Frank

"Christopher Barranco" <chris@flyingcowofdoom.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I have a LAN setup to share my Cable connection using
> WinProxy. I have one computer that is dedicated to WinProxy set up to
> do this. My LAN does not use DHCP, we just manually assign the
> addresses. I would like to hook up a D-Link DI-514 wireless router to
> my network so I can connect to the LAN with a wireless laptop. I need
> some advice as to how to configure things to accomplish this. I
> suspect that I have to use the WAN port on the D-Link, and configure
> the router to use the WinProxy as a gateway, but I'm not sure. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Chris

Coz

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002

plug the router into the network using a network port, not the wan port, and
the router works only as an access point...
doing it the other way, in my experience, will cause you routing issues, and
performance problems.

"Christopher Barranco" <chris@flyingcowofdoom.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. I have a LAN setup to share my Cable connection using
> WinProxy. I have one computer that is dedicated to WinProxy set up to
> do this. My LAN does not use DHCP, we just manually assign the
> addresses. I would like to hook up a D-Link DI-514 wireless router to
> my network so I can connect to the LAN with a wireless laptop. I need
> some advice as to how to configure things to accomplish this. I
> suspect that I have to use the WAN port on the D-Link, and configure
> the router to use the WinProxy as a gateway, but I'm not sure. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Chris

I just had to set the router's LAN IP address to and address within
the appropriate subnet and plug it into my LAN through a LAN port like
you said. Thanks for your help!