Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sharing internet with neighbors using wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 12, 2004 5:48:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I'm looking for hardware recommendations for sharing internet with several
neighbors (typically in the 2-300 foot range, but not more than 500 feet).

I was looking at the Dlink DWL 900AP (which I can get for $40) with a
"better" antenna (perhaps the ANT24-0800). I'm mostly worried about going
from house to house and connecting to a wired network inside the houses, but
would be interested in an AP/antenna combo that could be used for both house
to house (AP to AP) and from AP to wireless cards in the workstations.

My house is pretty much central (I would definitely need omni-directional).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2004 1:11:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:48:43 -0500, "Ted Kumsher" <user@user.com>
wrote:

>I'm looking for hardware recommendations for sharing internet with several
>neighbors (typically in the 2-300 foot range, but not more than 500 feet).
>
>I was looking at the Dlink DWL 900AP (which I can get for $40) with a
>"better" antenna (perhaps the ANT24-0800). I'm mostly worried about going
>from house to house and connecting to a wired network inside the houses, but
>would be interested in an AP/antenna combo that could be used for both house
>to house (AP to AP) and from AP to wireless cards in the workstations.
>
>My house is pretty much central (I would definitely need omni-directional).
>
MAKE SURE you use an encryption code! Then share that encryption code
with the neighbors, I saw recently where child pornographers have gone
to war-driving, looking for wireless connections, finding an unsecure
one and then uploading and downloading their filfth. The powers that
be then trace that stuff and then can come to your home and make life
hell until they figure out what happened. Using an encryption code
will help keep out the rif-raf.
May 13, 2004 1:11:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
news:fg45a01dqqoci0ta2v5np65v1mieoqgtsm@4ax.com...
> >
> MAKE SURE you use an encryption code! Then share that encryption code
> with the neighbors, I saw recently where child pornographers have gone
> to war-driving, looking for wireless connections, finding an unsecure
> one and then uploading and downloading their filfth. The powers that
> be then trace that stuff and then can come to your home and make life
> hell until they figure out what happened. Using an encryption code
> will help keep out the rif-raf.
>

And how would he know one of the neighbors isn't interesed in something
perverse or trading copyrighted material? All of the kiddie porn fans I
have seen on the news were people that no one would ever suspect.
Related resources
May 13, 2004 1:27:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

better yet, also put in mac address filters and restrict it to only the
known mac addresses.

I would use buffalo hardware , if i was you..but..thats your call i guess

I have a w54g router with an external 8dbi omni antenna on the front corner
of the house.
The clients have dlink usb 802.11b adapters and are situated near a window
which faces the access point house
some are several hundred feet away.

the house is in the middle of culdesac and all houses (5 each side, 3 on the
end) can access, without any antennas on the clients.



"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
news:fg45a01dqqoci0ta2v5np65v1mieoqgtsm@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:48:43 -0500, "Ted Kumsher" <user@user.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for hardware recommendations for sharing internet with
several
> >neighbors (typically in the 2-300 foot range, but not more than 500
feet).
> >
> >I was looking at the Dlink DWL 900AP (which I can get for $40) with a
> >"better" antenna (perhaps the ANT24-0800). I'm mostly worried about
going
> >from house to house and connecting to a wired network inside the houses,
but
> >would be interested in an AP/antenna combo that could be used for both
house
> >to house (AP to AP) and from AP to wireless cards in the workstations.
> >
> >My house is pretty much central (I would definitely need
omni-directional).
> >
> MAKE SURE you use an encryption code! Then share that encryption code
> with the neighbors, I saw recently where child pornographers have gone
> to war-driving, looking for wireless connections, finding an unsecure
> one and then uploading and downloading their filfth. The powers that
> be then trace that stuff and then can come to your home and make life
> hell until they figure out what happened. Using an encryption code
> will help keep out the rif-raf.
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2004 3:18:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:48:43 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "Ted
Kumsher" <user@user.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for hardware recommendations for sharing internet with several
>neighbors (typically in the 2-300 foot range, but not more than 500 feet).

Be super careful about this.

Firstly most ISPs don't let you do it.

Secondly you would be responsible for the traffic, be that porn, racist
material, or even just excessive traffic. Do you really know your
neighbours well enough to be sure they're not likely to do any of that?

Lastly your neighbours, or their kids, or their kids friends, could
potentially get access to everyone else's computers on the lan.

Lastly, you need to secure such a network fron unwanted wireless intruders.


--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc...;


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2004 6:39:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:28:31 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>
>"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
>news:fg45a01dqqoci0ta2v5np65v1mieoqgtsm@4ax.com...
>> >
>> MAKE SURE you use an encryption code! Then share that encryption code
>> with the neighbors, I saw recently where child pornographers have gone
>> to war-driving, looking for wireless connections, finding an unsecure
>> one and then uploading and downloading their filfth. The powers that
>> be then trace that stuff and then can come to your home and make life
>> hell until they figure out what happened. Using an encryption code
>> will help keep out the rif-raf.
>>
>
>And how would he know one of the neighbors isn't interesed in something
>perverse or trading copyrighted material? All of the kiddie porn fans I
>have seen on the news were people that no one would ever suspect.
>
He wouldn't, but he is going to share with them anyway. The code just
keeps people you don't know out.
May 13, 2004 1:23:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
news:D un5a056m94fs7aenp44hk8l3e7odfo78i@4ax.com...

> >
> He wouldn't, but he is going to share with them anyway. The code just
> keeps people you don't know out.

My comment concerned the pitfalls of his sharing plan. Wireless isn't secure
so your code idea might give you a warm & fuzzy feeling but it won't prevent
others from using the network.

When he gets an RIAA letter because the neighbors kid was using kazaa he may
wish he told the neighbors to get their own accounts.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2004 11:46:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:23:22 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>
>"f/f george" <george@yourplace.com> wrote in message
>news:D un5a056m94fs7aenp44hk8l3e7odfo78i@4ax.com...
>
>> >
>> He wouldn't, but he is going to share with them anyway. The code just
>> keeps people you don't know out.
>
>My comment concerned the pitfalls of his sharing plan. Wireless isn't secure
>so your code idea might give you a warm & fuzzy feeling but it won't prevent
>others from using the network.
>
>When he gets an RIAA letter because the neighbors kid was using kazaa he may
>wish he told the neighbors to get their own accounts.
>
ABSOLUTELY!
!