Inspiron 8600 with XP Home SP2 - on boot get "primary hard disk failure"
followed by "boot device not found" press F1 to retry (which does nothing) or
F2 to enter setup. Only recent changes were to install Ad-Aware and
SpyBlaster. Shutting down then restarting allows it to boot without any other
problem until next time. Don't want to fool around until I get some ideas
from you all. Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

Who mfgs the hard disk...Youre best bet(s),download the hd DOS checker from
the mfg web site,they all have then,install to a floppy,boot to
floppy,adjust for
this in BIOS,priority boot device or similiar.Run the tests,how old is the
hd,if
2 or more years,replace it,set old as storage.You can/might after the
utility,
boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R
When its thru (10-18 min),type:EXIT

ryjack <ryjack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Inspiron 8600 with XP Home SP2 - on boot get "primary hard disk failure"
>followed by "boot device not found" press F1 to retry (which does nothing) or
>F2 to enter setup. Only recent changes were to install Ad-Aware and
>SpyBlaster. Shutting down then restarting allows it to boot without any other
>problem until next time. Don't want to fool around until I get some ideas
>from you all. Any/all suggestions are appreciated.

That is a hardware problem, not a Windows issue so you can disregard
that incoherent babbling from Andrew E.

Some component or other, possibly the IDE controller chip on the
motherboard or possibly one of the items on the circuit board in the
hard drive, is not functioning properly when cold. However when the
device has been under power for a short while it warms up and then
starts to function properly.

This type of problem can be extremely difficult to pinpoint, because
most tests take time to run, and by then the defective item will be
warmed up and functioning properly.

If you have another hard drive available you could try installing that
temporarily in place of the existing one and see if the problem
persists. If it does then the problem is with the motherboard/IDE
controller or possibly the hard drive data cable.

A second test would be to try the hard drive temporarily in a
different computer and see if it is detected properly. Connect it as
the secondary master so it does not mess up your installed Windows by
booting on different hardware. If the problem persists on the second
computer then the drive is the problem, and you should consider
replacing it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--