Increasing mailbox size and not losing emails!

Hi
Just wondered if someone could help. My mailbox is huge, but I refer to
most emails in on a regular basis - it got so big that I it stopped me
sending emails until I removed some.

Does anyone know how to maybe increase the mailbox size, without losing any
of the emails - as I sort through them via sender name, so saving them else
where turns into a hassel as I have to open up the message to see who it's
from.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be useful.

Thanks

Are you referring to downloaded email or email retained at the mail server.
There should not be a limit on downloaded but possibly a limit at the
server. If at server then switch to GMail. It now has a limit of 2432 mb and
increasing.

"Charlotte" <Charlotte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Just wondered if someone could help. My mailbox is huge, but I refer to
> most emails in on a regular basis - it got so big that I it stopped me
> sending emails until I removed some.
>
> Does anyone know how to maybe increase the mailbox size, without losing
> any
> of the emails - as I sort through them via sender name, so saving them
> else
> where turns into a hassel as I have to open up the message to see who it's
> from.
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions would be useful.
>
> Thanks

Ummmm, go down to the hardware store and buy a bigger box???

You're gonna have to help us help you - what email program are you using,
what server? Give us something to go on.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Charlotte" <Charlotte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hi
Just wondered if someone could help. My mailbox is huge, but I refer to
most emails in on a regular basis - it got so big that I it stopped me
sending emails until I removed some.

Does anyone know how to maybe increase the mailbox size, without losing any
of the emails - as I sort through them via sender name, so saving them else
where turns into a hassel as I have to open up the message to see who it's
from.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be useful.

Thanks

Hi there

I'm using Outlook XP, running from Exchange 2003

Hope this helps
Thanks

> Hi there
>
> I'm using Outlook XP, running from Exchange 2003
>
> Hope this helps
> Thanks

If you are connecting to exchange then the size of your mailbox is
configured at the exchange server. Where I work we run without any limits.

Assuming your system-administrator won't let you have a larger mailbox then
the simple solution is to create a new personal folder. With personal
folders (.pst files) the file is stored locally on your pc and therefore
doesn't count towards your mailbox limit. Each personal folder is limited to
2GB I think (which for most people isn't a problem), and you can have as
many as you like. You can also configure outlook to archive files by age
from your mailbox to your personal folders.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your advice, but I understand that a PST file won't be able to be
backed up as it's not pointing to our server because it's sitting on the C:/.
Is it possible to point these to the server for backing up? I've never
created one before, but really appreciate your feedback.

Regards
Charlotte

> Hello Brian,
>
> Thanks for your advice, but I understand that a PST file won't be able to
> be
> backed up as it's not pointing to our server because it's sitting on the
> C:/.
> Is it possible to point these to the server for backing up? I've never
> created one before, but really appreciate your feedback.
>
> Regards
> Charlotte

I had thought that Microsoft had taken steps to prevent you from having a
pst file on a networks share, but having just tried it with Outlook 2000
there didn't seem to be a problem - although I was using a mapped drive.

The disadvantage of having it on a network share is that because you are
accessing it over the network it will be slower and more importantly there
will be scope for data loss. It is because of the scope for data loss and
file corruption that personally I wouldn't want to store a pst file on a
server. If the file gets corrupted then you may well loose everything in it.

Where I work we backup individual's pst files across the network from their
own pcs. (This is in addition to an exchange backup.) Assuming your work is
unable to do this, then you could:

1. Create your PST files on the server somewhere.

or

2. Create your PST files locally but create a short .cmd file that copies
them when you login or on demand to the server.

If these are going to be on the server, then why not go back to your IT and
see if they can increase your exchange quota. Allowing you to store (I've
not idea how much, but lets say 500MB) mail in a pst file on the server but
not in exchange (presumably on the same server) seems a little strange.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian