How to set a fixed IP Address that can be pinged thru web

Hi!

I build a back office application and used MS SQL Server 2003 as the
database. I want to connect to the SQL Server remotely thru the
internet for the application to work on a remote station. We are using
an ordinary D-Link router. Is it still possible?

Thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-set-fixed-IP-Address-pinged-web-ftopict400459.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1323804

"sherwin" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I build a back office application and used MS SQL Server 2003 as the
> database. I want to connect to the SQL Server remotely thru the
> internet for the application to work on a remote station. We are using
> an ordinary D-Link router. Is it still possible?
>
> Thanks!

It's possible. You have to open up some ports. See your router docs for how
to do this. See the following MS article for the ports.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287932

Be aware that this will leave you open to attacks over the Internet. See the
following article for how to secure sql server.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/security.mspx

Kerry

"" wrote:
> "sherwin" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I build a back office application and used MS SQL Server
> 2003 as the
> > database. I want to connect to the SQL Server remotely thru
> the
> > internet for the application to work on a remote station. We
> are using
> > an ordinary D-Link router. Is it still possible?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> It's possible. You have to open up some ports. See your router
> docs for how
> to do this. See the following MS article for the ports.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287932
>
> Be aware that this will leave you open to attacks over the
> Internet. See the
> following article for how to secure sql server.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/security.mspx
>
> Kerry

Thank you very much for the advice Kerry. It will be a big help for
me. But currently I am on a vacation, I will do these as soon as I get
back to work and give you a reply if it worked.

Again, thank you very much!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-set-fixed-IP-Address-pinged-web-ftopict400459.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1326775