Help! Uninstalling Norton Personal Firewall

Mightymo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
When I try to uninstall Norton Personal Firewall I get this message: "A Norton Personal Firewall account with supervisor access must be logged in to uninstall this product. If Norton Personal Firewall is not currently running, please run it from the Start menu and log in."

I am the only user account on my Windows XP Pro system, so I am the administrator. Does anyone know how I can uninstall this? I haven't used this firewall in months but was never able to uninstall it.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2 -- AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton Core -- 512 P2700 (duel channel) --
ATI Radeon 9500 -- Onboard Audio -- Antec Plus660 AMG 330W case -- XP Pro

Lee10455

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
Its kind of a pain and I don't really know if it will work but I have done this with antivirus before several times. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER NORTON PRODUCTS ON YOUR SYSTEM THAT YOU WANT TO USE. End all of the task in case its running in the background. (Most people will say never do this but it does work) Delete the folder it resides in. Open regedit and search for "Norton". Get ready for the fun part. Delete all the norton entries that come up. You will get really good at hitting DEL > ENTER > F3. Do this at your own risk. Again it does work for utilities and antivirus.

Mightymo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Well I found how to do it. All you have to do is go to Symantec's website and download either Rnis.exe (if you want to uninstall Norton Internet Security OR Rnav.exe (if you want to remove Norton Anti Virus). This small program will completely remove everything, including registry entries.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2 -- AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton Core -- 512 P2700 (duel channel) --
ATI Radeon 9500 -- Onboard Audio -- Antec Plus660 AMG 330W case -- XP Pro