save as dialog box hangs

I already posted this a couple of days ago and found no solution. Can someone
try and help me with this please...and tkx of course:

In any applications, when I click save as, that box hangs for at least 35-40
seconds before I can tell it where to save the file. Exemple: In IE, if I
download a file, I'll click save as, and wait 35-40 seconds before I get a
response from the computer. I have tried just about anything I know to fix
this without having to reformat. I have the same dehavior in messenger or any
of the other programs I use. The problem seems to be with the open/save as
dialog box. I run WinXp Pro, SP2. Does anybody have any clues on how to fix
this bizzare problem of mine??? Tkx

Emic

"EMIC" <EMIC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I already posted this a couple of days ago and found no solution. Can
>someone
> try and help me with this please...and tkx of course:
>
> In any applications, when I click save as, that box hangs for at least
> 35-40
> seconds before I can tell it where to save the file. Exemple: In IE, if I
> download a file, I'll click save as, and wait 35-40 seconds before I get a
> response from the computer. I have tried just about anything I know to fix
> this without having to reformat. I have the same dehavior in messenger or
> any
> of the other programs I use. The problem seems to be with the open/save as
> dialog box. I run WinXp Pro, SP2. Does anybody have any clues on how to
> fix
> this bizzare problem of mine??? Tkx

Does the folder you are trying to save in have a lot of files in it?

Kerry

No, it does'nt make any difference where I want to save it. The pull down
list in the "save as" dialog box does'nt show for at least 35-40 secs so I
can't even choose where to save before the list shows up.
--
Emic

> No, it does'nt make any difference where I want to save it. The pull down
> list in the "save as" dialog box does'nt show for at least 35-40 secs so I
> can't even choose where to save before the list shows up.

I've seen that happen when the folder has thousands of files in it. Must be
a different problem. Sorry, I have no more ideas for you.

Kerry

> --
> Emic
>

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "EMIC" <EMIC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I already posted this a couple of days ago and found no solution. Can
>> >someone
>> > try and help me with this please...and tkx of course:
>> >
>> > In any applications, when I click save as, that box hangs for at least
>> > 35-40
>> > seconds before I can tell it where to save the file. Exemple: In IE, if
>> > download a file, I'll click save as, and wait 35-40 seconds before I
>> > get a
>> > response from the computer. I have tried just about anything I know to
>> > fix
>> > this without having to reformat. I have the same dehavior in messenger
>> > or
>> > any
>> > of the other programs I use. The problem seems to be with the open/save
>> > as
>> > dialog box. I run WinXp Pro, SP2. Does anybody have any clues on how to
>> > fix
>> > this bizzare problem of mine??? Tkx
>>
>> Does the folder you are trying to save in have a lot of files in it?
>>
>> Kerry

syzack

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Hi,

I had the same problem and one of my friend helped me in fixing it. I actually had some network drives mapped(which were not getting used). So everytime when i open the "Save As" dialog box, the drop down was taking time since it was trying to access the network drive, which actually didn't exist anymore.

So please check if you have any unused network connection under "My Computer" and is so disconnect them.

Hope it helps.

pablo_1297

Hello All,

Hopefully some like me had a "DOH!" moment. I was experienceing a similar "hang" in "save as", but mine occured (system appeared to hang) when I selected the pull down menu to select a new folder.
The solution was to remove the DVD from the optical drive, I was planning to erase...

Then again maybe my problem is the seemingly long time it takes for my optical drive to recognize the media and its content DOH! (again).

Pablo