Monitor is Black -

My HP Pavilion desktop computer works, but now my NEC multisync lcd monitor
is not working. I think it had something to do with a problem I had earlier,
when I was told to reinstall the INF file. I did try to reinstall it, but it
did not work.

Now, my computer comes on but there is no power going into the monitor, so I
can't even reload software or do anything. The monitor does function because
I hooked it up to my laptop and it works fine.

Can anyone help please? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about monitor black

    PJ,

    Be sure to cover the very basics first. The monitor's power cord is plugged in to a good power source & firmly seated. The video cable from your monitor is well-seated & screwed down to your video plug on your pc's case. The monitor's power-on button is ON.
    You should be able to see 'something' when you first power up your system ---- even if it is only the POST test.

    If all above OK, at minimum, you should be able to do a pc restart, and immediately start tapping F8 function key to get Windows' startup options. Select starting Windows in VGA mode. As you say, you may have mucked up the monitor's driver.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "PJ" wrote
    > My HP Pavilion desktop computer works, but now my NEC multisync lcd monitor
    > is not working. I think it had something to do with a problem I had earlier,
    > when I was told to reinstall the INF file. I did try to reinstall it, but it
    > did not work.
    >
    > Now, my computer comes on but there is no power going into the monitor, so I
    > can't even reload software or do anything. The monitor does function because
    > I hooked it up to my laptop and it works fine.
    >
    > Can anyone help please? Thanks.

    hi maurice,
    thank you....i did try that, but it didn't work.

    when i turn on my pc, it comes on, but the monitor doesn't. the light at the
    bottom of the monitor quickly turns from green to orange. it says on the
    monitor "video input - no signal".

    i don't know what to do at this point...i can't even reinstall my windows xp
    software because it didn't come with cd's. it's somewhere in the pc and i
    can't see to obtain it.

    i guess when it touched the inf file, it did affected my video display. ugh.
    i'm typing this from my laptop. thanks for any other suggestions....
    pj

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > PJ,
    >
    > Be sure to cover the very basics first. The monitor's power cord is plugged in to a good power source & firmly seated. The video cable from your monitor is well-seated & screwed down to your video plug on your pc's case. The monitor's power-on button is ON.
    > You should be able to see 'something' when you first power up your system ---- even if it is only the POST test.
    >
    > If all above OK, at minimum, you should be able to do a pc restart, and immediately start tapping F8 function key to get Windows' startup options. Select starting Windows in VGA mode. As you say, you may have mucked up the monitor's driver.
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >
    > "PJ" wrote
    > > My HP Pavilion desktop computer works, but now my NEC multisync lcd monitor
    > > is not working. I think it had something to do with a problem I had earlier,
    > > when I was told to reinstall the INF file. I did try to reinstall it, but it
    > > did not work.
    > >
    > > Now, my computer comes on but there is no power going into the monitor, so I
    > > can't even reload software or do anything. The monitor does function because
    > > I hooked it up to my laptop and it works fine.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help please? Thanks.

    What INF file are you talking about? Do you have a video card installed or an
    onboard video controler? If you have both, try connecting the monitor to the
    other connector and see if that works, you may need to remove the card and
    startup the computer without it, then shutdown and reinstall it so windows
    will install the card again.

    j;-)

    "PJ" <PJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >hi maurice,
    >thank you....i did try that, but it didn't work.
    >
    >when i turn on my pc, it comes on, but the monitor doesn't. the light at the
    >bottom of the monitor quickly turns from green to orange. it says on the
    >monitor "video input - no signal".
    >
    >i don't know what to do at this point...i can't even reinstall my windows xp
    >software because it didn't come with cd's. it's somewhere in the pc and i
    >can't see to obtain it.
    >
    >i guess when it touched the inf file, it did affected my video display. ugh.
    >i'm typing this from my laptop. thanks for any other suggestions....
    >pj

    That error message, together with the fact that the monitor works okay
    when connected to another computer, indicates that the problem is with
    the hardware in the computer.

    Something, such as a video card failure, is preventing the computer
    from producing a video output signal of any kind.

    The initial startup stages, up to the point where the first Windows XP
    Startup screen appears, are controlled directly by the hardware.
    Changes to the BIOS setup can affect things at that point, but not
    anything that was installed or modified on the hard drive.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP