Laptop Screen goes blank after 10 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrielorie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hi there, my friend ask me to install Windows 7 on her laptop, so i did but it failed and now i get the 'A disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart' erroe but now after approximately 10 seconds the screen goes completely blank, whether i'm in bios or at the disk error screen. But the computer is still on, hard drive light flashes, ctrl alt and delete still restarts and the keyboard lights still work and operate. Does anyone know how i can solve this?

gabrielorie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hey, it's a Dell Inspiron 640m and no, i didn't check. I assumed it would work, but it didn't. I wiped it and installed Windows XP but the screen still doesn't work. But if i plug a monitor in it will show up so it's just the screen with the problem.

ikaz

Distinguished
Try booting up in VGA mode then set the monitor resolution manaully probably at something like 13x768 (check the specs for max resolution) make sure the refresh rate is at 60 then reboot and see if your screen works. Oh you can get into VGA mode by press f8 during the boot process.

Status
Not open for further replies.