Chaintech geforce 2 ultra 64mb ddr ram AGP RI94

G

Hi to all!,

Hope one of you has this card and can clear some points up for me!. I live in the UK. I am currently in a bit of confusion over a chaintech product i have purchased. I ordered a Chaintech Geforce2 Ultra 64mb DDR ram from www.scan.co.uk on their today only offer. I believe the model number of this product is AGP-RI94.

On receiving this product, I have my doubts as to whether I have indeed been sent a Geforce 2 Ultra. My first doubt was on examining the card itself. According to the pictures on the chaintech site, the geforce2 ultra card should have heatsinks on the ram chips. Mine does not. Also the GPU should have a heatsink and a fan, mine has a small fan only, as on the GTS/Pro cards. My first question is: has anyone got a chaintech geforce2 ultra card without heatsinks on the ram chips and a smaller fan?.

Secondly, when the system boots up, it shows the bios as a GTS ultra bios. Is this correct for an ultra card? Also in windows when i go to the cards properties via display>settings>advanced the tab for the cards properties is shown as "geforce2 GTS"....should this in fact show "Geforce 2 Ultra"?....

i am using the latest detonator 3 drivers from Nvidia....

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated....As you can see I do not have any system problem, only a problem with determining if my card is what i paid for ( I paid for a chaintech geforce2 ultra 64mb ddr ram!)

PS: the card itself does run fine, although i am beginning to learn that game performance is dependant a lot on the game itself aswell as the card!.

PPS: Ive emailed this also to chaintech but am awaiting their reply :(

G

Interesting. It sounds like you received a GTS. Did you order direct, or through a retailer?

Sorry I can't help you, but perhaps you can help me.

I am looking for a GTS card, and wondering if the chaintech brand is any good. In Canada, I can get a 32mb GTS for $185. Comparitavely, an ASUS card costs $235. Is there enough of a difference in card quality, to warrant the extra $50?

Any info you can provide, (ie.,support, and overclocking capabilities), is much appreciated.

ianmills

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
There is a review for this card listed on www.reviewfinder.com ...It says it's a really good card but cheap good for overclocking etc etc..... But you should read it yourself.
Actually i am planning on buying that exact same card in a week or two, so if you are willing to wait that long i can give my own personal review....

G

hi again,

thanks for all your replies, most appreciated ;).

Well to update you all, the agony of knowing whether or not i had a real geforce2 ultra was driving me mad, so yesterday night I pulled that sucker out of my machine, and dismantled the fan to take a look at that damn GPU...I was glad to find under there a chip with "Geforce 2 ULTRA"! :)...so it looks like its a real ultra...I also compared my card to the pics of the ultra on the chaintech site...again glad to say identical ;) EXCEPT mine hasnt got that hefty heatsink/fan on the GPU and no heatsinks on the RAM chips...anyone got any ideas on this?? do companies sometimes ship some cards out without/cheaper heatsinks/fans to cut costs maybe??....

Anyway, for anyone interested go to www.todayonly.co.uk for this card (it comes up from time to time.....a chaintech geforce 2 ultra with 64mb DDR ram, oh and did i mention its got the s-video out module too;)..all yours for £174 (when i bought it) ex vat & pp..£210 all inc ;).

See ya'll;)

G

Thanks ianmills. If I buy it before you, I'll post my findings here.

TRENDING THREADS