Hi

I have a problem - I have just found out I have a rogue dialler on my
computer - can anyone please advise me on how to get rid of it?

I have a firewall and XP2 and I am running Windows XP Multi-Media. My ISP
is Virgin and when I asked them for help they just told me that they were not
responsible for the phone calls being dialled up - so now I am stuck and not
sure what to do to remove it.

The rogue dialler is ringing out to premium numbers and I have just had my
phone bill in for over £70 for calls that I have not made!

I would be most grateful for any hael and assistance, thank you so much,

--
Tricia

You did not make the phone calls, but your computer did - on your registered
phone account. Therefore the phone company WILL hold you responsible for
them.

Do as Will Denny has said.

I would add that you should perform the tests after booting your computer
into safe mode "with networking enabled". This will allow you to update the
anti spyware programs before you run the tests.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Tricia" <Tricia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a problem - I have just found out I have a rogue dialler on my
> computer - can anyone please advise me on how to get rid of it?
>
> I have a firewall and XP2 and I am running Windows XP Multi-Media. My ISP
> is Virgin and when I asked them for help they just told me that they were
> not
> responsible for the phone calls being dialled up - so now I am stuck and
> not
> sure what to do to remove it.
>
> The rogue dialler is ringing out to premium numbers and I have just had my
> phone bill in for over £70 for calls that I have not made!
>
> I would be most grateful for any hael and assistance, thank you so much,
>

> --
> Tricia

Hi

Please run the following programs:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Tricia wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem - I have just found out I have a rogue dialler on my
> computer - can anyone please advise me on how to get rid of it?
>
> I have a firewall and XP2 and I am running Windows XP Multi-Media. My ISP
> is Virgin and when I asked them for help they just told me that they were not
> responsible for the phone calls being dialled up - so now I am stuck and not
> sure what to do to remove it.
>
> The rogue dialler is ringing out to premium numbers and I have just had my
> phone bill in for over £70 for calls that I have not made!
>
> I would be most grateful for any hael and assistance, thank you so much,

Assuming you are in the UK and have a BT line, when you have cleaned
the rogue dialler from your system, go to:
http://www.btmodemprotection.com/
download the free software and install it on your computer.
There are full instructions for download, installation and use in the
FAQs section.

This will alert you when the modem dials a number you have not approved.
Although it will not block the call or remove the malware, at least it
should warn you that the problem has returned so you can take action
before a huge bill is run up.

Hi

Thank you for your help with my dialler problem - I have run the programs
you suggested and between them 26 Trojan rogue dialler viruses were detected
and destroyed from my system. My system is behaving itself again and it is
not dialling premium rate numbers anymore!

For future reference, you might like to add www.grisoft.com to your list,
its a great site and does what it says - removes and protects - very easy for
techno-newbies like me that didin't know what a rogue dialler was until she
got her phone bill !

kindest regards and a heart-felt thank you,
--
Tricia