Pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys

Hey guys,

I was just browsing through my C drive trying to clear some space and
came across two rather large files whose function I do not know. They
are Pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys, both located in C:/ and together
take up over a gig. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what
they do, and if they are suppose to be that large? Also, is it safe to
delete them to clear some space?

Thanks,

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pagefile.sys-amp-hiberfil.sys-ftopict401212.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1326907
2 answers Last reply
More about pagefile hiberfil

    Pagefile.sys is the file that's used to "page" memory out to your hard disk.
    XP (and other operating systems) use hard disk space as though it were
    actual RAM. This is called Virtual Memory.

    The other file is used for hibernation. When you put your system into
    hibernation mode, it copies everything that's currently in memory to your
    hard disk so that you can pick up exactly where you left off after you
    resume from hibernation.

    hope that helps,

    JMI
    "Okkine" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I was just browsing through my C drive trying to clear some space and
    > came across two rather large files whose function I do not know. They
    > are Pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys, both located in C:/ and together
    > take up over a gig. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what
    > they do, and if they are suppose to be that large? Also, is it safe to
    > delete them to clear some space?
    >
    > Thanks,

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pagefile.sys-amp-hiberfil.sys-ftopict401212.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1326907

    Hi

    For pagefile.sys please have a look at the following article:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    The hiberfil.sys file is used for 'Hibernation' and can be 'deleted' if not
    used by going to Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate. Uncheck 'Enable
    hibernate' and hard disk space equivalent to the amount of RAM you have
    installed will be freed up.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Okkine" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I was just browsing through my C drive trying to clear some space and
    > came across two rather large files whose function I do not know. They
    > are Pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys, both located in C:/ and together
    > take up over a gig. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what
    > they do, and if they are suppose to be that large? Also, is it safe to
    > delete them to clear some space?
    >
    > Thanks,

    > request
    > Topic URL: