Sign in with
Your question

French guy need explanations on DSL offers...

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
April 19, 2002 10:08:43 PM

Hello Everyone !

I'm french, so please excuse my still poor english... I will do my best !

I'm going to study one year in oklahoma city... and I'm looking for Internet offers, and what I can have for about 60$ per month there.

I already own a modem (Alcatel Speed touch Home Ethernet, Up to 1Mb upload and 8Mb Download ) and I hope not to buy a new one...

I have to explain a little how it works in france to explain my perplexity...

There, you pay about 300Fr per month, about 40-45$, to have an 512/128Kbps connection, with an dynamic Ip adress and 5 mailboxes... with different providers but the deal is basically the same.

But even if it's only 512 Kbps, it's 512 Kbps guaranteed, whoever is online, the charge of the network...

I've read some articles and comparisons on dslreports, and founded some great offers near oklahoma, but searching more made me found some interessant things, as event if the connexion is said to be 1500/128Kbips, it's only 384 Kbips GUARANTEED...

And I'd like to know :

-What seems to be, for you, the best offer there ? ADSL or cable ( cable isn't really popular in france, thus I haven't looked at it in usa... )

-if I bought an 1500/128 Kbps, will I have this speed always, or does it really fluctue from a region to another, from a period to another ? In fact, what is the risk, important or not, to have the connection speed to have a permanant drop, or to fluctue ? ( don't now if it's the right word... you know, going up and down... )

I thank everyone in advance ! I'm really web addicted, and now It seems can't live without it now :D  Thus, it's a really important question to myself...
April 19, 2002 10:33:25 PM

Well as luck has it I love in OKC and the best option here is Cox cable. Right now it's 3Mb down but only 300k up. It's 35$ a month if you buy the cable modem which is around 100$ or you can rent the modem for 15$ a month. There is DSL out here too but it costs more and I know some people that have had some problems getting it hooked up and it costs 50$ a month.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
Anonymous
April 20, 2002 4:44:16 AM

Thanks, I haven't seen this offer...

Well, I'm quite astonished, as in france, an 512/128 connex from adsl (or cable, the pricing are about the same) costs about 45$, and an 1024/256 connex about 150$...

WahoO.

But what about the fluctuations of the speedof the network ? Rare, frequent ? And the guaranteed speed is only 384 Kbps :(  Do i Take a risk by subscribing to such an offer ?
Related resources
April 20, 2002 5:39:52 AM

No fluctuations, they have the line capped at what i listed above ( i've messed around with capping it higher =p) had this service around 3 years. Reliability is better now since @home went under but it was pretty good before too.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 22, 2002 11:49:31 PM

Both cable and DSL have their strengths and weaknesses. With cable you get no guarantee of bandwidth but the potential available to you is the actual capacity of the shared segment that you're on. Theoretically, if you were the only one using the segment you would get all of its available bandwidth. With DSL (and no you can't use your own DSL modem) you get a guarantee of a specific amount of bandwidth between you and the DSL access multiplexer at the phone company central office. From there you share the wide area link to the network backbone.

My experience, and I've used many different DSL providers and connection types, is that DSL connection rates are quite stable, although latentcy does increase at peak use times (weekdays from 9am -11am and 7pm-10pm). The same peak times for cable users hold, but the connection rates vary can vary drastically.

Feel free to research all you want about DSL offerings in OKC, but you won't be able to actually choose anything before getting there. Remember that DSL has a physical limit of 18,000 feet (maybe 5600 meters) from the central office, and it's quality decreases as the distance goes up.

"There are no mysteries with computers...just fix it you idiot!" (R. Warren 1909-1990)
April 23, 2002 7:03:46 AM

Quote:
With DSL (and no you can't use your own DSL modem)

Why not?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
April 23, 2002 1:02:37 PM

The reasons that you can't (for the most part) use your own DSL modem are that a) there are so many different implementations of DSL in the US that the hardware you use needs to be very closely matched with the system that it's running on, and b) the contracts that you need to agree to dictate that you must buy, rent (or accept free) THEIR hardware.

The one case where you might be able to use your own DSL modem is if you have one now and move to another location served by the same ISP as well as the same phone company, as well as the same hardware implementation in your new area.

Cable modems, on the other hand, are a much more standard item (more standard than DSL modems, but less standard than regular analog modems) and are frequently sold retail in areas with cable internet access.

"There are no mysteries with computers...just fix it you idiot!" (R. Warren 1909-1990)
April 23, 2002 1:55:07 PM

OK, I see your point. But AFA ADSL, it's "pretty" standard (YMMV) thoughout, but you would normally have to take their stuff. but it still doesn't stop you from using your own modem as long as it works. I did it with Verizon (used my own Efficient Speedstream 5660, and it worked fine. i;ve got theirs in a box somewhere ;-)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
Anonymous
April 23, 2002 5:07:41 PM

Thanks for all replys !

I will have to choose from different flat that are, it seems, owned by the university and reserved for us... and if they are not rent to us they are rent to another persons... well, it seems a bit complicated, then... I know I will have a big list to choose my flat from.

Then I'm gonna ask whose flat is better for cable services, because I'm quite addicted...

First, I didn't expected more than 512k/128k, what I currently have... if it's really fluctuating but never under these speed, I don't think it will be that disturbing...

I think I will choose cable as for DSL the only offers I founded are 1500/128k, but for about 70$ per month... and that's not in my price range.

And I dunno still if I can use my modem or not. Bewan sells an DSL modem, a PCI card which seems to be compatible with everything, and the alcatel (mine) seems to be selled in USA too... but if I choose cable, as I thought I'm gonna do, I wouldn't have to bring an answer to this...

But, If I can gather a lot of opinions, it would surely help me choose... then I waiting for experiences, advices, and maybe more ^^

Thanks for everything guys, and please forget my still poor english :( 
April 23, 2002 7:13:37 PM

What university? Most of them have access built into thier rooms.

Anonymous
April 23, 2002 7:55:35 PM

ben Oklahoma university... www.ou.edu...

in france, access offered by unoversity are really fast... but very dependent of the period you're connected...

@ 12h00 you gorget your speed and have about 15 Ko/s max...

I'd like to avoid it then, if it's the same :( 
April 23, 2002 9:23:14 PM

Ok so not exactly in OKC, OU is in norman that's about 15-20 minutes away from OKC. If your going to be in a dorm there your access there should be fast and reliable. I'm not even sure you can get the cable and DSL i've been talking about out there.

April 24, 2002 4:09:38 AM

OU has Cox.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 24, 2002 4:25:04 AM

Well that answers that =), you out here in nowhere land too haha?

April 24, 2002 4:54:18 AM

Yep.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 24, 2002 5:35:21 AM

Oh Boy hehe.

Anonymous
April 24, 2002 11:51:44 AM

That's great its available there... And I'm gonna avoid if possible to be in a dorm...

That's not my kind of flat, I like silence, and I don't want to be disturbed by other student doing partys or such things... That's whhy I want a flat, not in a dorm...

Nobody is here in norman to talk about internet traffic on cox cable and on University's internet access ?

That will be great !

Thanks for everything !
April 25, 2002 4:35:18 AM

When you get set up, let us know.

April 25, 2002 4:52:08 AM

Access should be just fine there, wouldn't worry about it too much =).

!