csrss.exe and Firefox

July 27, 2005 8:01:33 AM

Maybe not the best place to put this, since it's quite possibly a
Firefox issue (most likely, even), buuuut, I figured I'd see if I could
get some more information on csrss.exe, to try and solve my problem.

Basically, here's the thread about it on the mozillaZine forums:

Quick summary: When browsing using any version of Firefox, certain
webpages will cause FF to freeze, and csrss.exe to start taking up all
available CPU cycles.

This is repeatable, over and over. If it happens on a page once, it
will happen every time I go to that page. Sometimes, it even happens
with certain Google search criteria, but if I change the search query
ever-so-slightly, it works fine. A couple of problem pages are listed
on that forum, but one that seems to be domain-wide is wikipedia. I
can't access anything on wikipedia (possibly any site using their
software).

Any ideas on what could be causing this, from a csrss point of view
(no, it's not a virus or spyware. It's the csrss.exe that comes with
windows. That avenue has been pursued over and over and over. Please
trust me on this.)

I guess what I'm looking for is this: What components of windows (or
Firefox, I guess) does csrss work with, that could be causing problems?
How would I go about finding out?

Also, if anyone is interested in digging around, there's a ton of
discussion on that thread. Just nothing that fixes the problem. :)

Thanks!

More about : csrss exe firefox

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:57:39 PM

rootyb,
Startup entry for csrss.exe : csrss
csrss.exe description:
Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem and is an essential
subsystem that must be running at all times.
Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting
threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

Also csrss.exe name is widely used by various keyloggers.

File csrss.exe is related to keylogger Win-Spy.
File csrss.exe is related to keylogger Employee Watcher.
File csrss.exe is related to keylogger ICE Remote Spy.
File csrss.exe is related to keylogger Is My Mate Cheating Online.
File csrss.exe is related to keylogger Key Logger Buddy Pro.
File csrss.exe is related to keylogger KidWatcher.
File csrss.exe is related to keylogger Spy Software 4 Parents.
File csrss.exe is related to worm W32.Backdoor.Sokacaps.
Try running up-to-date AV & Spyware scans.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

July 27, 2005 4:27:28 PM

Thanks!

I tried disabling Java AND Javascript, but to no avail. Also went into
the "Downloads" section, and disabled EVERY plugin in there. Still no
dice.

>From my previous work on this, I had a program called Process Explorer.
I went ahead and took a snapshot just before and just after, of both
Firefox, and csrss.exe, then I opened them in a file comparison program
to look for differences. Csrss didn't have very many, but firefox had
quite a few that I didn't recognize/understand.

The post-crash added a number of lines into the Process Explorer log.

Quite a few lines of:

File \Device\Afd\Endpoint

Interspersed with a bunch of:

File \Device\Tcp

(between the two of these, we're talking something like 40-50 new
lines, each saying one of those two)

Another one that got thrown in there immediately post-crash was this:

File C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9

Also, this line:

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

became this:

DPCs n/a 0.93 Deferred Procedure Calls

and the Firefox process entry changed to

firefox.exe 3844 0.93 Firefox Mozilla

Oh, one more thing. This line disappeared:

File C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9

and was replaced with this:

File C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\onxrd8hn.admin\Cache\D04E021Cd01

I have no clue what most of this means. My geekishness is limited to
photoshop, reghacks, and semi-advanced telecom tech support, lol.

Any ideas?

Thanks, again.

Sparda wrote:
> "" wrote:
> > Maybe not the best place to put this, since it's quite
> > possibly a
> > Firefox issue (most likely, even), buuuut, I figured I'd see
> > if I could
> > get some more information on csrss.exe, to try and solve my
> > problem.
> >
> > Basically, here's the thread about it on the mozillaZine
> > forums:
> > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=245130
> >

> > Quick summary: When browsing using any version of Firefox,
> > certain
> > webpages will cause FF to freeze, and csrss.exe to start
> > taking up all
> > available CPU cycles.
> >
> > This is repeatable, over and over. If it happens on a page
> > once, it
> > will happen every time I go to that page. Sometimes, it even
> > happens
> > with certain Google search criteria, but if I change the
> > search query
> > ever-so-slightly, it works fine. A couple of problem pages are
> > listed
> > on that forum, but one that seems to be domain-wide is
> > wikipedia. I
> > can't access anything on wikipedia (possibly any site using
> > their
> > software).
> >

> > Any ideas on what could be causing this, from a csrss point of
> > view
> > (no, it's not a virus or spyware. It's the csrss.exe that
> > comes with
> > windows. That avenue has been pursued over and over and over.
> > Please
> > trust me on this.)
> >
> > I guess what I'm looking for is this: What components of
> > windows (or
> > Firefox, I guess) does csrss work with, that could be causing
> > problems?
> > How would I go about finding out?
> >
> > Also, if anyone is interested in digging around, there's a ton
> > of
> > discussion on that thread. Just nothing that fixes the
> > problem. :)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> From reading the thred on other forum, it seems to me that firefox
> requests a certian plugin, and for what ever reason the loading of
> this plug in causes csrss.exe to use lots of CPU time, i suspect this
> has nothing to do with firefox otehr then it is firefox that has
> requested the plugin or what ever it may be. Try turning JavaScript
> off, and see if it still dose it then...

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-csrss.exe-F...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327116
Related resources
July 27, 2005 5:35:50 PM

"" wrote:
> Maybe not the best place to put this, since it's quite
> possibly a
> Firefox issue (most likely, even), buuuut, I figured I'd see
> if I could
> get some more information on csrss.exe, to try and solve my
> problem.
>
> Basically, here's the thread about it on the mozillaZine
> forums:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=245130
>

> Quick summary: When browsing using any version of Firefox,
> certain
> webpages will cause FF to freeze, and csrss.exe to start
> taking up all
> available CPU cycles.
>
> This is repeatable, over and over. If it happens on a page
> once, it
> will happen every time I go to that page. Sometimes, it even
> happens
> with certain Google search criteria, but if I change the
> search query
> ever-so-slightly, it works fine. A couple of problem pages are
> listed
> on that forum, but one that seems to be domain-wide is
> wikipedia. I
> can't access anything on wikipedia (possibly any site using
> their
> software).
>

> Any ideas on what could be causing this, from a csrss point of
> view
> (no, it's not a virus or spyware. It's the csrss.exe that
> comes with
> windows. That avenue has been pursued over and over and over.
> Please
> trust me on this.)
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is this: What components of
> windows (or
> Firefox, I guess) does csrss work with, that could be causing
> problems?
> How would I go about finding out?
>
> Also, if anyone is interested in digging around, there's a ton
> of
> discussion on that thread. Just nothing that fixes the
> problem. :)
>
> Thanks!

From reading the thred on other forum, it seems to me that firefox
requests a certian plugin, and for what ever reason the loading of
this plug in causes csrss.exe to use lots of CPU time, i suspect this
has nothing to do with firefox otehr then it is firefox that has
requested the plugin or what ever it may be. Try turning JavaScript
off, and see if it still dose it then...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-csrss.exe-F...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327116
July 27, 2005 5:35:53 PM

"" wrote:
> Maybe not the best place to put this, since it's quite
> possibly a
> Firefox issue (most likely, even), buuuut, I figured I'd see
> if I could
> get some more information on csrss.exe, to try and solve my
> problem.
>
> Basically, here's the thread about it on the mozillaZine
> forums:
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=245130
>

> Quick summary: When browsing using any version of Firefox,
> certain
> webpages will cause FF to freeze, and csrss.exe to start
> taking up all
> available CPU cycles.
>
> This is repeatable, over and over. If it happens on a page
> once, it
> will happen every time I go to that page. Sometimes, it even
> happens
> with certain Google search criteria, but if I change the
> search query
> ever-so-slightly, it works fine. A couple of problem pages are
> listed
> on that forum, but one that seems to be domain-wide is
> wikipedia. I
> can't access anything on wikipedia (possibly any site using
> their
> software).
>

> Any ideas on what could be causing this, from a csrss point of
> view
> (no, it's not a virus or spyware. It's the csrss.exe that
> comes with
> windows. That avenue has been pursued over and over and over.
> Please
> trust me on this.)
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is this: What components of
> windows (or
> Firefox, I guess) does csrss work with, that could be causing
> problems?
> How would I go about finding out?
>
> Also, if anyone is interested in digging around, there's a ton
> of
> discussion on that thread. Just nothing that fixes the
> problem. :)
>
> Thanks!

You should also use a process manger (a better one then Task Manager,
one that shows the modules loaded) to look at what modules are loaded
befor firefox "freezes" and after, and see if there are any nw
modules.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-csrss.exe-F...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1327117
!