'Use Simple File Sharing' Option disappeared!

Steph

Hi,

I have a problem with my laptop running Win XP SP2. I think that the 'use
system file sharing' option may have been disabled, and I need to enable it.
I went to Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View and scrolled to the bottom of
the Advanced Settings, but the option 'Use Simple File Sharing' has
disappeared!

Please help!

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 05:03:05 -0700, Steph wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my laptop running Win XP SP2. I think that the 'use
> system file sharing' option may have been disabled, and I need to enable it.
> I went to Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View and scrolled to the bottom of
> the Advanced Settings, but the option 'Use Simple File Sharing' has
> disappeared!
>
> Please help!

XP Pro allows you to use Simple File Sharing or to turn it off and use
conventional sharing methods. If you have XP Home, you will not find the
setting since simple file sharing is the only choice in that version.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:2E017615-4258-4FA9-BCDA-C78A9E9CD03E@microsoft.com,
Steph <Steph@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my laptop running Win XP SP2. I think that the
> 'use system file sharing' option may have been disabled, and I need
> to enable it. I went to Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View and
> scrolled to the bottom of the Advanced Settings, but the option 'Use
> Simple File Sharing' has disappeared!
>
> Please help!

Is this XP Home Edition? If so log on via safe mode as the admin and the
option *should* be there... If it's not then let us know and we'll see what
pops up.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Steph,

Which version of Windows XP (Home or Pro?) are you using ?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org