Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Not sure if I am in the correct group to discuss this but here goes. I have
an emachines PC (purchased 2002). I replaced the power supply, but receive
an error on my computer screen that says "check power signal" I took my pc
and hooked it up to my friends moniter and also received the same message.
Any suggestions?
--
Thanks, Richard

Did you replace the PSU with an exact replacement for the E-Machine?
There are computer store/shops that take in used parts and if ok will resell
them with little or no warranty. Some will not even touch old e-machine parts
period...
So, the problem could be compatibility, does it work fine otherwise?

j;-)

"Richard" wrote:

> Not sure if I am in the correct group to discuss this but here goes. I have
> an emachines PC (purchased 2002). I replaced the power supply, but receive
> an error on my computer screen that says "check power signal" I took my pc
> and hooked it up to my friends moniter and also received the same message.
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Thanks, Richard

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for responding but let me give you a few more details. My initial
problem started when I turned on the power button one day. After turning on
the power, I heard click, click, click and then the PC turned off on its own.
The power button would no longer respond when pushed in. However, when I
turned on the monitor, it told me to check the power supply. I purchased a
new PSU from Frys. Its not an exact emachines match, but is the same 250
watts. I installed the new PSU and even though the fan turns on and I can
tell the PC is receiving power, the monitor now says to check the power
signal. Any suggestions.
--
Thanks, Richard

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Did you replace the PSU with an exact replacement for the E-Machine?
> There are computer store/shops that take in used parts and if ok will resell
> them with little or no warranty. Some will not even touch old e-machine parts
> period...
> So, the problem could be compatibility, does it work fine otherwise?
>
> j;-)
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > Not sure if I am in the correct group to discuss this but here goes. I have
> > an emachines PC (purchased 2002). I replaced the power supply, but receive
> > an error on my computer screen that says "check power signal" I took my pc
> > and hooked it up to my friends moniter and also received the same message.
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > Thanks, Richard

Can you here the HD booting up? Can you get into the bios?
Is the video onboard or separate add in card? Are you absolutely sure you
connected all power connectors to the motherboard and devices properly?

j;-)

"Richard" wrote:

> Thanks for responding but let me give you a few more details. My initial
> problem started when I turned on the power button one day. After turning on
> the power, I heard click, click, click and then the PC turned off on its own.
> The power button would no longer respond when pushed in. However, when I
> turned on the monitor, it told me to check the power supply. I purchased a
> new PSU from Frys. Its not an exact emachines match, but is the same 250
> watts. I installed the new PSU and even though the fan turns on and I can
> tell the PC is receiving power, the monitor now says to check the power
> signal. Any suggestions.
> --
> Thanks, Richard
>

> "Jaymon" wrote:
>
> > Did you replace the PSU with an exact replacement for the E-Machine?
> > There are computer store/shops that take in used parts and if ok will resell
> > them with little or no warranty. Some will not even touch old e-machine parts
> > period...
> > So, the problem could be compatibility, does it work fine otherwise?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Richard" wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure if I am in the correct group to discuss this but here goes. I have
> > > an emachines PC (purchased 2002). I replaced the power supply, but receive
> > > an error on my computer screen that says "check power signal" I took my pc
> > > and hooked it up to my friends moniter and also received the same message.
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > --
> > > Thanks, Richard

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The HD light comes on when the power is pushed, but I dont hear the normal
sounds that are associated with booting up. The light comes on and stays
solid, doesnt flicker like I think that it should. Not sure what bios are or
if the video card is seperate or not. And I am pretty sure that I have all
the connections to the motherboard correct.
--
Thanks, Richard

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Can you here the HD booting up? Can you get into the bios?
> Is the video onboard or separate add in card? Are you absolutely sure you
> connected all power connectors to the motherboard and devices properly?
>
> j;-)
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for responding but let me give you a few more details. My initial
> > problem started when I turned on the power button one day. After turning on
> > the power, I heard click, click, click and then the PC turned off on its own.
> > The power button would no longer respond when pushed in. However, when I
> > turned on the monitor, it told me to check the power supply. I purchased a
> > new PSU from Frys. Its not an exact emachines match, but is the same 250
> > watts. I installed the new PSU and even though the fan turns on and I can
> > tell the PC is receiving power, the monitor now says to check the power
> > signal. Any suggestions.
> > --
> > Thanks, Richard
> >

> > "Jaymon" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you replace the PSU with an exact replacement for the E-Machine?
> > > There are computer store/shops that take in used parts and if ok will resell
> > > them with little or no warranty. Some will not even touch old e-machine parts
> > > period...
> > > So, the problem could be compatibility, does it work fine otherwise?
> > >
> > > j;-)

Also, If you have a reset button on the computer, try pushing it to reboot
while the monitor is on and see if it forces the monitor to respond..You
might also just connect the HD and no other devices and see if it responds.
Also make sure that the PSU input voltage is set to the proper setting
115VAC/230VAC depending on your location.

"Richard" wrote:

> Thanks for responding but let me give you a few more details. My initial
> problem started when I turned on the power button one day. After turning on
> the power, I heard click, click, click and then the PC turned off on its own.
> The power button would no longer respond when pushed in. However, when I
> turned on the monitor, it told me to check the power supply. I purchased a
> new PSU from Frys. Its not an exact emachines match, but is the same 250
> watts. I installed the new PSU and even though the fan turns on and I can
> tell the PC is receiving power, the monitor now says to check the power
> signal. Any suggestions.
> --
> Thanks, Richard
>

> "Jaymon" wrote:
>
> > Did you replace the PSU with an exact replacement for the E-Machine?
> > There are computer store/shops that take in used parts and if ok will resell
> > them with little or no warranty. Some will not even touch old e-machine parts
> > period...
> > So, the problem could be compatibility, does it work fine otherwise?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Richard" wrote:
> >
> > > Not sure if I am in the correct group to discuss this but here goes. I have
> > > an emachines PC (purchased 2002). I replaced the power supply, but receive
> > > an error on my computer screen that says "check power signal" I took my pc
> > > and hooked it up to my friends moniter and also received the same message.
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > --
> > > Thanks, Richard

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot this evening. Thanks again.
--
Thanks, Richard

"Jaymon" wrote:

> Also, If you have a reset button on the computer, try pushing it to reboot
> while the monitor is on and see if it forces the monitor to respond..You
> might also just connect the HD and no other devices and see if it responds.
> Also make sure that the PSU input voltage is set to the proper setting
> 115VAC/230VAC depending on your location.
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for responding but let me give you a few more details. My initial
> > problem started when I turned on the power button one day. After turning on
> > the power, I heard click, click, click and then the PC turned off on its own.
> > The power button would no longer respond when pushed in. However, when I
> > turned on the monitor, it told me to check the power supply. I purchased a
> > new PSU from Frys. Its not an exact emachines match, but is the same 250
> > watts. I installed the new PSU and even though the fan turns on and I can
> > tell the PC is receiving power, the monitor now says to check the power
> > signal. Any suggestions.
> > --
> > Thanks, Richard
> >

> > "Jaymon" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you replace the PSU with an exact replacement for the E-Machine?
> > > There are computer store/shops that take in used parts and if ok will resell
> > > them with little or no warranty. Some will not even touch old e-machine parts
> > > period...
> > > So, the problem could be compatibility, does it work fine otherwise?
> > >
> > > j;-)

Ok, it doesn't look good, your clicking noise might have been damaging to the
motherboard and you may need to remove the HD and add it to another computer
to retrieve any data, hopefully the drive is not fried..

To get in the bios you need to pres f1 or Del key (this may vary see user
manual) at startup, maybe you should try disconnecting the HD and see if you
can enter the bios that way? Also you might try disconnecting everything
inside the case except the power connection to the mobo, turn it on and see
if you can enter the bios.

You may need to give in and take it to an authorized repair shop and see
whether it is worth fixing or to just get a new computer, it's your call.

I wish you the best
j:)