I run XP and have SP 1 and 2 and am up to date. Sometimes, I'll sit in
front of my screen reading and I can hear my hard disk just working it's
little heart out for long periods of time. I haven't executed anything for
it to be working and attempting Crtl-Alt-Del doesn't show me anything of
note - I try to follow the CPU usage in "Processes" and it doesn't tell me
anything. Looking at "Applications" simply shows me the one program - IE,
or whatever - I'm running and which is just sitting there. I am the sole
user on this machine so it's no other user. I run Norton, Spy Sweeper and
Window Washer, so there are no viruses or nasties running - I don't think.

How can I find out what program is causing all the activity?

Mike

See if the indexing service is running, if it is stop it and see if that
helps..
Open computer management , services and apps, indexing service, right click,
stop..

j;-)

"mike carrington" wrote:

> I run XP and have SP 1 and 2 and am up to date. Sometimes, I'll sit in
> front of my screen reading and I can hear my hard disk just working it's
> little heart out for long periods of time. I haven't executed anything for
> it to be working and attempting Crtl-Alt-Del doesn't show me anything of
> note - I try to follow the CPU usage in "Processes" and it doesn't tell me
> anything. Looking at "Applications" simply shows me the one program - IE,
> or whatever - I'm running and which is just sitting there. I am the sole
> user on this machine so it's no other user. I run Norton, Spy Sweeper and
> Window Washer, so there are no viruses or nasties running - I don't think.
>
> How can I find out what program is causing all the activity?
>
> Mike

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OaS370skFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
mike carrington <throwaway01@qwest.net> had this to say:

> I run XP and have SP 1 and 2 and am up to date. Sometimes, I'll sit
> in front of my screen reading and I can hear my hard disk just
> working it's little heart out for long periods of time. I haven't
> executed anything for it to be working and attempting Crtl-Alt-Del
> doesn't show me anything of note - I try to follow the CPU usage in
> "Processes" and it doesn't tell me anything. Looking at
> "Applications" simply shows me the one program - IE, or whatever -
> I'm running and which is just sitting there. I am the sole user on
> this machine so it's no other user. I run Norton, Spy Sweeper and
> Window Washer, so there are no viruses or nasties running - I don't
> think.
> How can I find out what program is causing all the activity?
>
> Mike

Indexing service? A desktop search client? A scheduled scan? Perhaps one of
those.

Sysinternals Freeware - Process Explorer:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

That might give you some insight.

Galen

without them."