I have had an Event id 8 (SOURCE CRYPT32, event timed out 3000 milliseconds)
showing up in my Event Viewer for several months. I have seqrched all over,
and the only infomration I seem to find is that I can disable Update Root
Certificate and make sure ai am connected to the interent. I am connected,
and am concerned about disabling the update root because of the possible
consequences.

Can anyone help me? I am clueless as to why it is timing out. I'm online 0
it seems to happen when I go to secure web sites. I am using Windows basic
firewall, and am up to date on virus protection and regularly run ad aware,
so I don't think those are the problem.

Anyone know how to solve event id 8?

Byte

Event ID 8 When Clients Try to Access IIS FTP Site
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=293637
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"help me" wrote:

> I have had an Event id 8 (SOURCE CRYPT32, event timed out 3000 milliseconds)
> showing up in my Event Viewer for several months. I have seqrched all over,
> and the only infomration I seem to find is that I can disable Update Root
> Certificate and make sure ai am connected to the interent. I am connected,
> and am concerned about disabling the update root because of the possible
> consequences.
>
> Can anyone help me? I am clueless as to why it is timing out. I'm online 0
> it seems to happen when I go to secure web sites. I am using Windows basic
> firewall, and am up to date on virus protection and regularly run ad aware,
> so I don't think those are the problem.
>
> Anyone know how to solve event id 8?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: crypt32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8

[[The error can occur if the auto-update feature is disabled and the root
certificate auto-update feature in Add/Remove Programs is not removed]]

I had this error. I fixed it by Removing Update Root Certificates from
Windows Components. Rebooting. And adding it back.

How To Add Components and Programs to a Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305548

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:737650A8-40CF-40A1-AECF-C63812158AC6@microsoft.com,
help me <help me@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have had an Event id 8 (SOURCE CRYPT32, event timed out 3000
> milliseconds) showing up in my Event Viewer for several months. I have
> seqrched all over, and the only infomration I seem to find is that I can
> disable Update Root Certificate and make sure ai am connected to the
> interent. I am connected, and am concerned about disabling the update
> root because of the possible consequences.
>
> Can anyone help me? I am clueless as to why it is timing out. I'm online 0
> it seems to happen when I go to secure web sites. I am using Windows basic
> firewall, and am up to date on virus protection and regularly run ad
> aware, so I don't think those are the problem.
>
> Anyone know how to solve event id 8?

I have tried turning iUpdate Root Certificates off and back on with no luck.

However, you mention that "The error can occur if the auto-update feature is
disabled and the root certificate auto-update feature in Add/Remove Programs
is not removed." Does that mean if I have Windows Updates (is that the auto
update feature you refer to?) disabled (not set to automatic) I am more
likely to get the error? I went to my son's computer ( we have VERY similar
setups - makes managing them easy), visiteda secure web site, and got a
crypt32 message in the Event Viewer that said the update was successful. His
computer has WinUpdates set to automatically download. Is that a key?

Thanks for your time to both of you. I'm new to the MS forums, and my
etiquette may be lacking. It is not intentional.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: crypt32
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 8
>
> [[The error can occur if the auto-update feature is disabled and the root
> certificate auto-update feature in Add/Remove Programs is not removed]]
>
> I had this error. I fixed it by Removing Update Root Certificates from
> Windows Components. Rebooting. And adding it back.
>
> How To Add Components and Programs to a Computer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305548
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:737650A8-40CF-40A1-AECF-C63812158AC6@microsoft.com,
> help me <help me@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I have had an Event id 8 (SOURCE CRYPT32, event timed out 3000
> > milliseconds) showing up in my Event Viewer for several months. I have
> > seqrched all over, and the only infomration I seem to find is that I can
> > disable Update Root Certificate and make sure ai am connected to the
> > interent. I am connected, and am concerned about disabling the update
> > root because of the possible consequences.
> >
> > Can anyone help me? I am clueless as to why it is timing out. I'm online 0
> > it seems to happen when I go to secure web sites. I am using Windows basic
> > firewall, and am up to date on virus protection and regularly run ad
> > aware, so I don't think those are the problem.
> >
> > Anyone know how to solve event id 8?

Yes, Automatic Update.

Have a look at this, I just found it...

Event ID 8 is logged in the Application log
;317541]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];317541

Scroll down, there seems to be a fairly large white space.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D7097B1E-408B-41CA-9353-83393E4FFB4C@microsoft.com,
help me <helpme@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have tried turning iUpdate Root Certificates off and back on with no
> luck.
>
> However, you mention that "The error can occur if the auto-update feature
> is disabled and the root certificate auto-update feature in Add/Remove
> Programs is not removed." Does that mean if I have Windows Updates (is
> that the auto update feature you refer to?) disabled (not set to
> automatic) I am more likely to get the error? I went to my son's computer
> ( we have VERY similar setups - makes managing them easy), visiteda
> secure web site, and got a crypt32 message in the Event Viewer that said
> the update was successful. His computer has WinUpdates set to
> automatically download. Is that a key?
>
> Thanks for your time to both of you. I'm new to the MS forums, and my
> etiquette may be lacking. It is not intentional.
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: crypt32
>> Event Category: None
>> Event ID: 8
>>
>> [[The error can occur if the auto-update feature is disabled and the root
>> certificate auto-update feature in Add/Remove Programs is not removed]]
>>
>> I had this error. I fixed it by Removing Update Root Certificates from
>> Windows Components. Rebooting. And adding it back.
>>
>> How To Add Components and Programs to a Computer in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305548
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:737650A8-40CF-40A1-AECF-C63812158AC6@microsoft.com,
>> help me <help me@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have had an Event id 8 (SOURCE CRYPT32, event timed out 3000
>>> milliseconds) showing up in my Event Viewer for several months. I have
>>> seqrched all over, and the only infomration I seem to find is that I can
>>> disable Update Root Certificate and make sure ai am connected to the
>>> interent. I am connected, and am concerned about disabling the update
>>> root because of the possible consequences.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me? I am clueless as to why it is timing out. I'm
>>> online 0 it seems to happen when I go to secure web sites. I am using
>>> Windows basic firewall, and am up to date on virus protection and
>>> regularly run ad aware, so I don't think those are the problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone know how to solve event id 8?

Thanks. I'd seenthat link, as it ssems to be the only info. out there about
Event ID 8.

So, If I understand correctly, turning Automatic Updates on will alleviate
the error? If so, that is great, and like I said, it makes sense. I am
responsible for three computers (mine and two kids), and the other two have
auto updates on, and do not get that error.

Thanks a million... I had even considered a reinstall of XP (it's a 2.5 year
old machine and has not been done, so I figured it couldn't hurt....). It'll
just be a while before I know if it works, as the crypt 32 thing seems to
only look for updates every ten days or so....

The error I had was...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: crypt32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8
Date: 2/2/2004
Time: 8:48:18 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MYPENTIUM450
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from:
<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/
en/authrootseq.txt> with error: 0x8ca

I do not leave the Automatic Updates service running unless I go to Windows
Update.

I fixed my problem by removing Update Root Certificates from
Windows Components. Rebooting. And adding it back.

I haven't had the error since 2/2/2004. I am running XP Pro SP1.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User