Sign in with
Your question

Asus Bios master password

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 14, 2013 2:50:54 PM

I have an ASUS laptop that for no reason it started asking me for the Master HDD Password. It gives no access to the bios or anything else. it just prompts for the password and nothing else. After 3 failed attempts it halts the system and gives no number for the checksum.
HELP!!!!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2013 3:04:31 PM

Because we can not prove that you are the legal owner of the device, we can not help you. Call Asus support.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
January 14, 2013 3:09:53 PM

HDD passwords don't magically set themselves. There is a few different ATA commands that have to send to the drive in a sequence to set the password.

Bring your stolen laptop to the police and ask them to find the original owners to get the password and quit stealing or buying stolen items.

Again, this can't just "happen". Either someone in your house set it without you knowing, or it's stolen. Those commands can't be sent to a drive randomly, it's a very specific command set and part of the ATA specs.
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 3:17:17 PM

you seriously have to go through a few steps to set the HDD PW. As far as I know, there aren't any sure fire ways to get past a HDD PW. It's written into the SMART data, so w/o that PW, the HDD is basically useless.
m
l
February 5, 2013 9:33:14 PM

getochkn said:
HDD passwords don't magically set themselves. There is a few different ATA commands that have to send to the drive in a sequence to set the password.

Bring your stolen laptop to the police and ask them to find the original owners to get the password and quit stealing or buying stolen items.

Again, this can't just "happen". Either someone in your house set it without you knowing, or it's stolen. Those commands can't be sent to a drive randomly, it's a very specific command set and part of the ATA specs.

I'm sorry getochkn, but I think you are beeing a bit discriminatory with your comment, because you are pointing to someone you don't know as a thief, without trying to get some more info about his problem.

Well, I am having the same f**** problem and I am tyred of looking for default passwords and CMOS chip hardware reset without success, and was hoping to find my solution here.

The computer wasn't booting and then I sent it to repair for reballing the GPU. They tryed without success and returned it as dead.

I tryed to restart it when it came from repair and at the third or fourth try it started to boot but says that CMOS settings are wrong and I should press F1 or F2. Then it asks for a Password that never existed and after the three possibilities it starts "Checking NVRAM" and there is no more feedback from the laptop.

I have read that some BIOS updates can go wrong and establish a default factory password (look for it on Google and you will find tons of them) but, unfortunately none has been accepted.

Just for curiosity, I had a PC/Laptop technic bureau for almost 18 years and that only happened twice... BUT IT HAPPENED! The difference is that on the first time I was able to use one of the default factory passwords

Cheers, and sorry if I was unpolite, but you've been too.

A. Gomes
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2013 10:05:34 PM

agomes said:
I'm sorry getochkn, but I think you are beeing a bit discriminatory with your comment, because you are pointing to someone you don't know as a thief, without trying to get some more info about his problem.

Well, I am having the same f**** problem and I am tyred of looking for default passwords and CMOS chip hardware reset without success, and was hoping to find my solution here.

The computer wasn't booting and then I sent it to repair for reballing the GPU. They tryed without success and returned it as dead.

I tryed to restart it when it came from repair and at the third or fourth try it started to boot but says that CMOS settings are wrong and I should press F1 or F2. Then it asks for a Password that never existed and after the three possibilities it starts "Checking NVRAM" and there is no more feedback from the laptop.

I have read that some BIOS updates can go wrong and establish a default factory password (look for it on Google and you will find tons of them) but, unfortunately none has been accepted.

Just for curiosity, I had a PC/Laptop technic bureau for almost 18 years and that only happened twice... BUT IT HAPPENED! The difference is that on the first time I was able to use one of the default factory passwords

Cheers, and sorry if I was unpolite, but you've been too.

A. Gomes

You're confusing Bios password with ATA-Hard drive password, two entirely different things, and then you mention updating a BIO and having a problem with it, which I can see as entirely possible.

Have you ever worked with Hard drive locking or understand the commands that have to be sent in order for it to happen? I used to fix original Xboxes which are locked via ATA commands to each Xbox. Upgrading or replacing your HD required getting the key and unlocking them. 500+ Xboxes and never seen one with the improper password different from the BIOS, unless someone screwed with it themselves. I fix laptops and other things too and 99% of the time people who come in with a laptop they "forgot" or "didn't set a HD (not BIOS, but HD) password on, don't even have the power cable for the thing and expect me to remove the password with 20mins of battery power left. Tell me you conclusion when you've seen a 100 or so of these laptops.

Maybe it happened, but 99.9% of the people who "forgot" a password they use all the time are trying to get into someone elses computers they don't own or have access to and come to the internet hoping someone will have a magically password that fixes it for them.
m
l
February 6, 2013 7:47:09 AM

getochkn said:
You're confusing Bios password with ATA-Hard drive password, two entirely different things, and then you mention updating a BIO and having a problem with it, which I can see as entirely possible.

Have you ever worked with Hard drive locking or understand the commands that have to be sent in order for it to happen? I used to fix original Xboxes which are locked via ATA commands to each Xbox. Upgrading or replacing your HD required getting the key and unlocking them. 500+ Xboxes and never seen one with the improper password different from the BIOS, unless someone screwed with it themselves. I fix laptops and other things too and 99% of the time people who come in with a laptop they "forgot" or "didn't set a HD (not BIOS, but HD) password on, don't even have the power cable for the thing and expect me to remove the password with 20mins of battery power left. Tell me you conclusion when you've seen a 100 or so of these laptops.

Maybe it happened, but 99.9% of the people who "forgot" a password they use all the time are trying to get into someone elses computers they don't own or have access to and come to the internet hoping someone will have a magically password that fixes it for them.

First of all, I'm glad that you aren't angry with me and that you understand that I was only warning you for a less friendly comment of yours.

The problem you mention of 99.9% of the people who "forgot" a password it's true and I have experienced the same ol' excuses you described, but what I am experiencing is not related with ATA-Hard drive but with BIOS it self. I was reading some forums and threads about the same problem I have now and all were triggered by some kind of messing around with the BIOS (updates, overclocking, etc).

I must confess that I am not very familiar with the commands related to Hard drive locking and the only problems I had with it were the impossibility to recover data when the drive malfunctioned. Fortunately I had only a couple of these cases.

Well, thank you for your tip with ATA-Hard drive password. I will do some tries and will post the results.

Best regards,

A.Gomes
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2013 12:41:20 PM

agomes said:
First of all, I'm glad that you aren't angry with me and that you understand that I was only warning you for a less friendly comment of yours.

The problem you mention of 99.9% of the people who "forgot" a password it's true and I have experienced the same ol' excuses you described, but what I am experiencing is not related with ATA-Hard drive but with BIOS it self. I was reading some forums and threads about the same problem I have now and all were triggered by some kind of messing around with the BIOS (updates, overclocking, etc).

I must confess that I am not very familiar with the commands related to Hard drive locking and the only problems I had with it were the impossibility to recover data when the drive malfunctioned. Fortunately I had only a couple of these cases.

Well, thank you for your tip with ATA-Hard drive password. I will do some tries and will post the results.

Best regards,

A.Gomes

NP. As for your problem, with it coming back that way after a reball. Seems someone didn't cover the other chips well or something and they got too hot and that corrupted your BIOS. When I do a reflow or reball, I cover most of the board and especially other chips in aluminum tape to make sure they don't receive any indirect heat that could damage them.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
February 6, 2013 12:41:52 PM

agomes said:

Best regards,

A.Gomes

NP. As for your problem, with it coming back that way after a reball. Seems someone didn't cover the other chips well or something and they got too hot and that corrupted your BIOS. When I do a reflow or reball, I cover most of the board and especially other chips in aluminum tape to make sure they don't receive any indirect heat that could damage them.
m
l
February 6, 2013 12:52:10 PM

getochkn said:

Yes, that's a good possibility.

Thanks anyway.

Cheers!
m
l
!