Blue Screens just won't go away

Ok - I'm running XP Home, I keep getting different blue screen error
messages. The last one was Kernel error (not the whole message) - I do have
Norton 2005 - did scan - nothing came up- then in the backups I saw the
W32Netsky.C - so I got info on the Symantec website- did scan with that-
didn't show any virus's. My question - how do I find out why my computer is
giving me these blue screens? Is there a scan I can do on my computer? Do I
have a virus? I'm in desperate need of some good advise :(
3 answers Last reply
More about blue screens away

    I suggest first you make sure the virus is removed.
    Info on the virus:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.c@mm.html

    Symantec's removal tool ( also included in link above):
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky@mm.removal.tool.html

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "furby" <furby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok - I'm running XP Home, I keep getting different blue screen error
    > messages. The last one was Kernel error (not the whole message) - I do have
    > Norton 2005 - did scan - nothing came up- then in the backups I saw the
    > W32Netsky.C - so I got info on the Symantec website- did scan with that-
    > didn't show any virus's. My question - how do I find out why my computer is
    > giving me these blue screens? Is there a scan I can do on my computer? Do I
    > have a virus? I'm in desperate need of some good advise :(

    Hi,

    First, make sure the system is clean. Free virus removal tools:

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

    Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Symantec also distributes many free removal tools that are virus-specific:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Many are best run in Safe mode to minimize interference. Most will resist
    removal in normal mode where they are active.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    See if the blue screens go away after this.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "furby" <furby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok - I'm running XP Home, I keep getting different blue screen error
    > messages. The last one was Kernel error (not the whole message) - I do
    > have
    > Norton 2005 - did scan - nothing came up- then in the backups I saw the
    > W32Netsky.C - so I got info on the Symantec website- did scan with that-
    > didn't show any virus's. My question - how do I find out why my computer
    > is
    > giving me these blue screens? Is there a scan I can do on my computer? Do
    > have a virus? I'm in desperate need of some good advise :(

    "furby" <furby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Ok - I'm running XP Home, I keep getting different blue screen error
    >messages. The last one was Kernel error (not the whole message) - I do have
    >Norton 2005 - did scan - nothing came up- then in the backups I saw the
    >W32Netsky.C - so I got info on the Symantec website- did scan with that-
    >didn't show any virus's. My question - how do I find out why my computer is
    >giving me these blue screens? Is there a scan I can do on my computer? Do I
    >have a virus? I'm in desperate need of some good advise :(

    There are thousands (at least) of different possible error messages
    that can be reported on a "blue screen" and the vast majority of these
    all have different possible causes and therefore different cures.

    In order to help you with specific blue screen error messages it is
    necessary to have the complete *verbatim* text of that blue screen
    error message, including any STOP code as well as the 4 parameters for
    the STOP code and also any file or module names that are mentioned in
    the message.

    If you are getting a lot of different blue screen error messages and
    there does not seem to be any pattern or predictability to them then
    that type of behavior is often a symptom of a hardware related problem
    such as a bad RAM module, a weak or failing computer power supply,
    fluctations in the house/office electric supply voltage, a motherboard
    problem, etc.

    Hope this is of some assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada