What graphics card should I buy ?

G

I have cancelled my order for the GTS from DABS and have been looking even more at the KYRO II. However ........
I want a graphics card which will last me a good few years and have ALL the functions needed for newer games such as MAX PAYNE.

I have spent a long time over at www.tomshardware.com and have to admit ( like they do ) that the KYRO II is a great card TODAY but it may not last. It will not be able to cope with some of the more advanced functions and so im unsure what to do.

Should I just spend £100 on a KYRO II now and them another £100 each and every 4 months to make sure im just keeping my head above water or should I splash out on a proper fully speced card ?

If I do the later which is the BEST card ( performance per pound ) available ?

I have a 1GHz ATHLON PC with 512MB or RAM my current graphics card is a voodoo 3 3000

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Check out the Radeon LE review:

Here is a good article about the Radeon LE (FINALLY!!!), which you can compare the mx, Kyro2 and the Radeon LE. Lets just say the Radeon LE is HOT!!!! Look at the Kyro2 numbers too.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1473" target="_new">AnAndTech Excellent Radeon LE review!!</A>

The Radeon has more directx 8 features then the MX, GF2 and Kyro2 so it would be a card that would last longer in respect to game technology. Plus the rather cheap price makes it a real bargain. Considering it mostly keeps up with a GF2 in 32bit higher resolutions with better IQ (image quality) better 2d and the best DVD play.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Since we are in the middle of a next generation of video cards GF3 and Radeon 2, you could buy the Radeon LE cheap, wait until ATI delivers Radeon II and watch prices fall especially on the GF3 and get yourself a real bargain then. The Radeon LE should be able to play any game now smoothly as well as Max Payne when it is released at a fabulous price. That is one Game I do want. Saving you money and getting you a better card latter on to boot.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, the LE straight out of the box outperforms the mx400 which is good. What are the odds of me overclocking the thing 183/183? I mean this chip must have went LE OEM instead of retail for some reason.
Are you sure the Radeon has better image quality than the Kyro II? I haven't seen either. Heck, the voodoo 2 I have produces same if not better IQ than the MX.

Sh!t Happens.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I've read many reports on the LE's success in overclocking. I have heard of a few reports that their LE wouldn't go much above 150mhz too. So I think the odds are good that a LE will clock above 148mhz. Many have succeeded in overclocking 183/183 and above without any problems.