Log Off Problem

Win XP Prof SP2; fast user switching turned on; two user accounts.

When I use 'fast user switching' to switch from user 1 to user 2, if,
instead of 'fast switching' back to user 1 (thereby leaving user 2 logged
on), I 'log off' user 2, the monitor screen goes black, all keys go dead,
on-off power switch goes dead. Everything is kaput! The only thing I can
do to get out of this situation then is to unplug the computer and reboot.
Seems that it shouldn't work that way. Am I doing something wrong? Is
there something I don't know? Any help will be eagerly appreciated.
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about problem

    I would begin by checking that these two services are running:
    Fast User Switching Compatibility
    Terminal Services

    Go to Start > Run and type
    services.msc
    click OK

    Now scroll down to check that each of these two services has 'Started' in
    the Status column.

    Event Viewer for both accounts to see if anything looks suspicious - e.g.
    errors flagged with a red X.

    If both of these Services are running, then I would check Event Viewer (for
    both accounts) to see if anything looks suspicious - e.g. errors flagged
    with a red X.

    Start > Run and type
    eventvwr.msc
    click OK

    "Sanford" <sanford@spam.net> wrote in message
    > Win XP Prof SP2; fast user switching turned on; two user accounts.
    >
    > When I use 'fast user switching' to switch from user 1 to user 2, if,
    > instead of 'fast switching' back to user 1 (thereby leaving user 2 logged
    > on), I 'log off' user 2, the monitor screen goes black, all keys go dead,
    > on-off power switch goes dead. Everything is kaput! The only thing I can
    > do to get out of this situation then is to unplug the computer and reboot.
    > Seems that it shouldn't work that way. Am I doing something wrong? Is
    > there something I don't know? Any help will be eagerly appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for this reply, Michael. Fast User Switching Compatibility and
    Terminal Services are Started, Manual. In the Event Viewer, there are a
    fair number of red Xs in the Applications and System folders, but none
    appear for earlier today, which is the last time the log off problem
    occurred. What do these red Xs mean? And how would information derived in
    the Event Viewer help me solve this log off problem? Thanks for your help.
    Sanford

    "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I would begin by checking that these two services are running:
    > Fast User Switching Compatibility
    > Terminal Services
    >
    > Go to Start > Run and type
    > services.msc
    > click OK
    >
    > Now scroll down to check that each of these two services has 'Started' in
    > the Status column.
    >
    > Event Viewer for both accounts to see if anything looks suspicious - e.g.
    > errors flagged with a red X.
    >
    > If both of these Services are running, then I would check Event Viewer
    > (for both accounts) to see if anything looks suspicious - e.g. errors
    > flagged with a red X.
    >
    > Start > Run and type
    > eventvwr.msc
    > click OK
    >

    > "Sanford" <sanford@spam.net> wrote in message
    >> Win XP Prof SP2; fast user switching turned on; two user accounts.
    >>
    >> When I use 'fast user switching' to switch from user 1 to user 2, if,
    >> instead of 'fast switching' back to user 1 (thereby leaving user 2 logged
    >> on), I 'log off' user 2, the monitor screen goes black, all keys go dead,
    >> on-off power switch goes dead. Everything is kaput! The only thing I
    >> can
    >> do to get out of this situation then is to unplug the computer and
    >> reboot.
    >> Seems that it shouldn't work that way. Am I doing something wrong? Is
    >> there something I don't know? Any help will be eagerly appreciated.
    >> Thanks.

    The short answer is that you can frequently pinpoint which files, drivers or
    services are failing.

    Here's a brief tutorial on Event Viewer (by Microsoft)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

    > Thanks for this reply, Michael. Fast User Switching Compatibility and
    > Terminal Services are Started, Manual. In the Event Viewer, there are a
    > fair number of red Xs in the Applications and System folders, but none
    > appear for earlier today, which is the last time the log off problem
    > occurred. What do these red Xs mean? And how would information derived
    > in the Event Viewer help me solve this log off problem? Thanks for your
    > help. Sanford

Windows XP