DVD-RW drive won't detect a DVD-RW Disc

Before I start, I should tell you all that I am re-posting this with all of
the original correspondence at the end.

I've done as described, put both drives back into their proper place on the
tape and into the proper order (DVD-RW - master, DVD-ROM - slave). On a
hunch, I decided to pop in a DVD-R disc, and this was detected just fine. I
also put in a DVD-RW disc, but it was not detected. Seeing as how I have
data I want to append to an old DVD-RW disc, is there anything left to do?

Original correspondence follows:
------------------------------------

"Brandon" wrote:

> I just checked the jumper settings for the drive, and they were identical
> the one I had compared it to, so the jumpers are set correctly.
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, you really need to get the jumper issue right first. On the quick
> > installation guide for a retail boxed drive it should tell you or you
> > should
> > see a picture or diagram, sometimes it is on the top of the unit itself.
> > If
> > you look closely at were the jumper pins are and just above on the green
> > circuit board, some have small letters as in m,s,cs .
> > Also, the data cable as you look at it has three connectors the one at
> > the
> > end is for the top or master and the middle one is for the slave the
> > last
> > one
> > (blue usually) goes to the mother board.
> > It's a good idea to set any new device the same as the others, if your
> > system was bought OEM, then CS is used for HD and CD devices from the
> > factory. If you are adding the DVD burner under the original device that
> > was
> > set for CS then the burner should be set to CS as well. The 2nd IDE
> > channel
> > will handle 2 devices, as well the 1st IDE channel's devices are the
> > hard
> > drives also set to CS from the factory. Now if they, the HD's are set
> > master
> > and slave on the 1st channel, then so should the devices on the 2nd
> > channel
> > be set the same way.
> >
> > Check the web site of the drive in question for a diagram or install
> > guide
> > and while there you may need to chat online to get a firmware update if
> > available, just explain your dilemma with XP since SP2 update. Also ask
> > about
> > the media you are trying to burn to, it needs to be compatible too.
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> I am currently using Sonic Record! version 7.3. I cannot format the
> >> disc, and when I open the program with a blank disc in the drive, it
> >> just
> >> says to insert a disc. When I open the program with an un-recordable
> >> disc
> >> it can detect it no problem. As for how the drive jumpers are set, I
> >> have
> >> the DVD-ROM set for Master, but I'm not too certain on the DVD-RW
> >> because
> >> it
> >> does not have any markings on it. I believe I set it for Cable Select
> >> based
> >> on how I compared it to that of the previous DVD-RW.
> >>
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Did you mention your burning software that you use? You may need to update
that software and the firmware for the drive and or drivers if they apply for
your drive from the drives OEM's web site..

Did you run the Nero info tool to know the ID string and firmware ver for
the DVD-RW drive in question?

j;-)

"Brandon" wrote:

> [...]
> > > was
> > > set for CS then the burner should be set to CS as well. The 2nd IDE
> > > channel
> > > will handle 2 devices, as well the 1st IDE channel's devices are the
> > > hard
> > > drives also set to CS from the factory. Now if they, the HD's are set
> > > master
> > > and slave on the 1st channel, then so should the devices on the 2nd
> > > channel
> > > be set the same way.
> > >
> > > Check the web site of the drive in question for a diagram or install
> > > guide
> > > and while there you may need to chat online to get a firmware update if
> > > available, just explain your dilemma with XP since SP2 update. Also ask
> > > about
> > > the media you are trying to burn to, it needs to be compatible too.

And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you where to
go fuzzball!!!!!
Just kidding....

Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?

j;-)

"Brandon" wrote:

> I forgot to run the tool before, so I just ran it, and attached the results
> to this post. I also went to Toshiba's home page, but they apparently only
> have that site for their printers and such. If you can tell me where to go
> to get the updates, if any, I'd apprecaite it.
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did you mention your burning software that you use? You may need to update
> > that software and the firmware for the drive and or drivers if they apply
> > for
> > your drive from the drives OEM's web site..
> >
> > Did you run the Nero info tool to know the ID string and firmware ver for
> > the DVD-RW drive in question?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> Before I start, I should tell you all that I am re-posting this with all
> >> of
> >> the original correspondence at the end.
> >>
> >> I've done as described, put both drives back into their proper place on
> >> the
> >> tape and into the proper order (DVD-RW - master, DVD-ROM - slave). On a
> >> hunch, I decided to pop in a DVD-R disc, and this was detected just fine.
> >> also put in a DVD-RW disc, but it was not detected. Seeing as how I have
> >> data I want to append to an old DVD-RW disc, is there anything left to
> >> do?
> >>
> >> Original correspondence follows:
> >> ------------------------------------
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
attachments.

Anyway...
Model #: 52l4059012
Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
Firmware Version #: TU53

I hope this helps.

> And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you where
> go fuzzball!!!!!
> Just kidding....
>
> Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
>
> j;-)
>
> "Brandon" wrote:
>
>> I forgot to run the tool before, so I just ran it, and attached the
>> results
>> to this post. I also went to Toshiba's home page, but they apparently
>> only
>> have that site for their printers and such. If you can tell me where to
>> go
>> to get the updates, if any, I'd apprecaite it.
>>
>> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Did you mention your burning software that you use? You may need to
>> > update
>> > that software and the firmware for the drive and or drivers if they
>> > apply
>> > for
>> > your drive from the drives OEM's web site..
>> >
>> > Did you run the Nero info tool to know the ID string and firmware ver
>> > for
>> > the DVD-RW drive in question?
>> >
>> > j;-)

Go here to see how to read the ID string...

"Brandon" wrote:

> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
> attachments.
>
> Anyway...
> Model #: 52l4059012
> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
> Firmware Version #: TU53
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you where
> > go fuzzball!!!!!
> > Just kidding....
> >
> > Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> I forgot to run the tool before, so I just ran it, and attached the
> >> results
> >> to this post. I also went to Toshiba's home page, but they apparently
> >> only
> >> have that site for their printers and such. If you can tell me where to
> >> go
> >> to get the updates, if any, I'd apprecaite it.
> >>
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Update utility for Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 and Win XP to upgrade the
firmware of an SD-R5372 DVD-Recorder from any TU** version to version TU55.

This firmware enables the SD-R5372 to write new DVD-RW 6x and DVD+RW 8x media

Here is the firmware for your drive..
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/products/Drivers/SDR5372-TU55.zip

j;-)

"Brandon" wrote:

> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
> attachments.
>
> Anyway...
> Model #: 52l4059012
> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
> Firmware Version #: TU53
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you where
> > go fuzzball!!!!!
> > Just kidding....
> >
> > Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> I forgot to run the tool before, so I just ran it, and attached the
> >> results
> >> to this post. I also went to Toshiba's home page, but they apparently
> >> only
> >> have that site for their printers and such. If you can tell me where to
> >> go
> >> to get the updates, if any, I'd apprecaite it.
> >>
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ok found this too..
Make sure you read any info and I am not sure you need these just hang on to
them just in case, and scan with your av program too..

Install application and DOS device driver for ALL TOSHIBA ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
drives.

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/products/drivers/cddrv224.zip

Be cool be safe.
j;-)

"Brandon" wrote:

> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
> attachments.
>
> Anyway...
> Model #: 52l4059012
> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
> Firmware Version #: TU53
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you where
> > go fuzzball!!!!!
> > Just kidding....
> >
> > Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> I forgot to run the tool before, so I just ran it, and attached the
> >> results
> >> to this post. I also went to Toshiba's home page, but they apparently
> >> only
> >> have that site for their printers and such. If you can tell me where to
> >> go
> >> to get the updates, if any, I'd apprecaite it.
> >>
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ok, here's the ID string:
[2:0] F:\ TOSHIBA CD/DVDW SD-R5372.

Hope that helps...

> Go here to see how to read the ID string...
> http://www.iomagic.com/Firmware/NeroInfotool/neroinfotool.html
>
> "Brandon" wrote:
>
>> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
>> attachments.
>>
>> Anyway...
>> Model #: 52l4059012
>> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
>> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
>> Firmware Version #: TU53
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you
>> > where
>> > go fuzzball!!!!!
>> > Just kidding....
>> >
>> > Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
>> >
>> > j;-)

Ok, I hope all goes well and be sure to post your results..

j;-)

"Brandon" wrote:

> Ok, here's the ID string:
> [2:0] F:\ TOSHIBA CD/DVDW SD-R5372.
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Go here to see how to read the ID string...
> > http://www.iomagic.com/Firmware/NeroInfotool/neroinfotool.html
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
> >> attachments.
> >>
> >> Anyway...
> >> Model #: 52l4059012
> >> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
> >> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
> >> Firmware Version #: TU53
> >>
> >> I hope this helps.
> >>
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Just installed it and tried a DVD-RW disc, still nothing different.

On a side note, I practically had myself a heart attack when the computer
didn't completely boot in to Windows 2 times after installing this and
rebooting because I figured a virus was at work. Turns out it was a Generic
Win32 Services error, or something to that effect. So, in other words,
nothing bad happened, and you can even ignore this unless you think it may
be a symtpom of something...

> Update utility for Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 and Win XP to upgrade the
> firmware of an SD-R5372 DVD-Recorder from any TU** version to version
> TU55.
>
> This firmware enables the SD-R5372 to write new DVD-RW 6x and DVD+RW 8x
> media
>
> Here is the firmware for your drive..
> http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/products/Drivers/SDR5372-TU55.zip
>
> j;-)
>
> "Brandon" wrote:
>
>> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
>> attachments.
>>
>> Anyway...
>> Model #: 52l4059012
>> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
>> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
>> Firmware Version #: TU53
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you
>> > where
>> > go fuzzball!!!!!
>> > Just kidding....
>> >
>> > Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
>> >
>> > j;-)

Did you use the tool to see if the firmware was updated to TU55? What is the
X speed of the DVD-RW media your trying to burn to 6x-8x ? Did you run an av
scan on the ZIP file first..
j;-0

"Brandon" wrote:

> Just installed it and tried a DVD-RW disc, still nothing different.
>
> On a side note, I practically had myself a heart attack when the computer
> didn't completely boot in to Windows 2 times after installing this and
> rebooting because I figured a virus was at work. Turns out it was a Generic
> Win32 Services error, or something to that effect. So, in other words,
> nothing bad happened, and you can even ignore this unless you think it may
> be a symtpom of something...
>
> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Update utility for Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 and Win XP to upgrade the
> > firmware of an SD-R5372 DVD-Recorder from any TU** version to version
> > TU55.
> >
> > This firmware enables the SD-R5372 to write new DVD-RW 6x and DVD+RW 8x
> > media
> >
> > Here is the firmware for your drive..
> > http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/products/Drivers/SDR5372-TU55.zip
> >
> > j;-)
> >
> > "Brandon" wrote:
> >
> >> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
> >> attachments.
> >>
> >> Anyway...
> >> Model #: 52l4059012
> >> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
> >> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
> >> Firmware Version #: TU53
> >>
> >> I hope this helps.
> >>
> >> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Ok, on a hunch I decided to try a different blank DVD-RW and it has no
problem with it what-so-ever. even after burning data on it, I can still do
it, no problem. The same works with DVD-R's. I've got no direct idea why
this happens like this, but I think that this problem is solved.

> Ok found this too..
> Make sure you read any info and I am not sure you need these just hang on
> them just in case, and scan with your av program too..
>
> Install application and DOS device driver for ALL TOSHIBA ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
> drives.
>

> http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/products/drivers/cddrv224.zip
>
> Be cool be safe.
> j;-)
>
> "Brandon" wrote:
>
>> Lol, sorry about that, I forgot that Microsoft doesn't allow you to post
>> attachments.
>>
>> Anyway...
>> Model #: 52l4059012
>> Model: Toshiba CD/DVDW SD-R5372
>> ID String: ??? Not sure about this one
>> Firmware Version #: TU53
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > And forgot to attach ie..paste it to the post...Yeah, I can tell you
>> > where
>> > go fuzzball!!!!!
>> > Just kidding....
>> >
>> > Make an model #? Toshiba what? ID string and firmware ver #?
>> >
>> > j;-)

Fantastic !!!!

So glad to hear that, now you can take off the pacemaker and eat cake...

Don't hesitate to post if you need assistance, if I can't help somebody
will...
Be cool be safe..
j;-)