lsass and services error after Windows Updates

July 27, 2005 9:14:01 PM

I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I install
the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe and
services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also happens
when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
happening. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 9:24:05 PM

Check this site
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.htm...

"compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I
>install
> the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe and
> services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also
> happens
> when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
> happening. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 9:38:04 PM

Here's another one - unless you are CERTAIN you are virus free.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_print...

"compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I
>install
> the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe and
> services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also
> happens
> when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
> happening. Thanks.
July 28, 2005 4:37:18 PM

I've checked out everything about viruses and worms and nothing is ever
found. When I do a repair everything runs fine until I do updates again then
on the reboot I get the same errors. So far this time I haven't tried any
updates and everything is fine, but I don't want to never be able to do any
updates. Thanks.

"Michael T" wrote:

> Here's another one - unless you are CERTAIN you are virus free.
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_print...
>
> "compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I
> >install
> > the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe and
> > services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also
> > happens
> > when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
> > happening. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:31:49 PM

It is probably worth your time to make sure you have none of these files
(any of which indicate a virus).

Use Windows XP Search to look for:
Ocxtodll.exe.
Msinet.ocx
Vbs6stkit.dll
Mswinsck.ocx

Post back with you results.

"compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 774953B-0350-4AA3-A07C-D8D1B16D9A16@microsoft.com...
> I've checked out everything about viruses and worms and nothing is ever
> found. When I do a repair everything runs fine until I do updates again
> then
> on the reboot I get the same errors. So far this time I haven't tried any
> updates and everything is fine, but I don't want to never be able to do
> any
> updates. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:42:35 PM

Is there anything in Event Viewer that could shed more light on your
problem?

Next time you install Windows Updates and see the error

Go to Start > Run and type
eventvwr.masc
click OK

Now check the application & system trees for errors indicated with a red X.

"compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I
>install
> the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe and
> services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also
> happens
> when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
> happening. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:03:51 PM

I would thoroughly research Service Pack2 by perusing the links at:
http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2getinstall
http://ask-leo.com/will_sp2_crash_my_machine.html

Also, once SP2 is installed perhaps the extra protection it provides is
uncovering problems with one or more of the following:
Corrupt Registry
Unstable driver
Turn off Windows Firewall and see if your problem goes away (there is an
applet for Windows Firewall in the Control Panel)

Finally, install and run the latest versions and the latest updates of the
following:
..Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

..Lavasoft Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

..Spybot Search & Destroy (S&D)
http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

Run your virus software in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while
booting) - preferably with System Restore tuned off.

Other options (in Normal Boot Mode)
Run an online scan at
and/or
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...

Download/Run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool

Run Ad-Aware SE Personal (first) and SpyBot-Search & Destroy (second).
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
After you install each, you should click update before running. For example,
with Ad-Aware click on the link "Check for updates now" on the first screen
that appears after you launch the application.

I have also heard good reports about the Damage Cleanup Engine from Trend
Micro at

"compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I
>install
> the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe and
> services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also
> happens
> when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
> happening. Thanks.
July 29, 2005 2:07:39 AM

Have you run Adaware and/or Spybot to search for spyware.

Neil

"compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 774953B-0350-4AA3-A07C-D8D1B16D9A16@microsoft.com...
> I've checked out everything about viruses and worms and nothing is ever
> found. When I do a repair everything runs fine until I do updates again
> then
> on the reboot I get the same errors. So far this time I haven't tried any
> updates and everything is fine, but I don't want to never be able to do
> any
> updates. Thanks.
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> Here's another one - unless you are CERTAIN you are virus free.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_print...
>>
>> "compwiz7195" <compwiz7195@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed Windows XP with SP2 onto my parents' computer and once I
>> >install
>> > the Windows Updates and reboot, I get Application errors for lsass.exe
>> > and
>> > services.exe two times each that they could not initialize. It also
>> > happens
>> > when I try to go to safe mode. Does anyone know how to keep this from
>> > happening. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:40:48 AM

> eventvwr.masc