Error msg/desktop frozen

Hi, I run XP Pro but for a reason unknown to me, everytime I startup and
log-in, I get an error msg saying something like '...temp/dll file cannot be
found'. The cursor can move around, but the desktop is effectively frozen,
and the eggtimer appears everytime I move to the taskbar. There is also a
big white 'X' on a red circle on the taskbar where my usual icons used to be.

Is this a virus? I am expecting someone to tell me I need to format my hard
drive, but I have no clue how to do that with a frozen desktop!

Please help - I'm not completely clueless, but this has totally thrown me.
Thank God for my laptop...
Thanks,
Amanda
2 answers Last reply
More about error desktop frozen

    See if you can boot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while booting).

    Now scan for viruses.

    "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I run XP Pro but for a reason unknown to me, everytime I startup and
    > log-in, I get an error msg saying something like '...temp/dll file cannot
    > be
    > found'. The cursor can move around, but the desktop is effectively
    > frozen,
    > and the eggtimer appears everytime I move to the taskbar. There is also a
    > big white 'X' on a red circle on the taskbar where my usual icons used to
    > be.
    >
    > Is this a virus? I am expecting someone to tell me I need to format my
    > hard
    > drive, but I have no clue how to do that with a frozen desktop!
    >
    > Please help - I'm not completely clueless, but this has totally thrown me.
    > Thank God for my laptop...
    > Thanks,
    > Amanda

    HI Michael,

    Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your tip - It was indeed a virus.
    All seems to be working well now. Thanks again:)

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > See if you can boot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while booting).
    >
    > Now scan for viruses.
    >
    > "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I run XP Pro but for a reason unknown to me, everytime I startup and
    > > log-in, I get an error msg saying something like '...temp/dll file cannot
    > > be
    > > found'. The cursor can move around, but the desktop is effectively
    > > frozen,
    > > and the eggtimer appears everytime I move to the taskbar. There is also a
    > > big white 'X' on a red circle on the taskbar where my usual icons used to
    > > be.
    > >
    > > Is this a virus? I am expecting someone to tell me I need to format my
    > > hard
    > > drive, but I have no clue how to do that with a frozen desktop!
    > >
    > > Please help - I'm not completely clueless, but this has totally thrown me.
    > > Thank God for my laptop...
    > > Thanks,
    > > Amanda

Desktops Windows XP