Error msg/desktop frozen

Hi, I run XP Pro but for a reason unknown to me, everytime I startup and
log-in, I get an error msg saying something like '...temp/dll file cannot be
found'. The cursor can move around, but the desktop is effectively frozen,
and the eggtimer appears everytime I move to the taskbar. There is also a
big white 'X' on a red circle on the taskbar where my usual icons used to be.

Is this a virus? I am expecting someone to tell me I need to format my hard
drive, but I have no clue how to do that with a frozen desktop!

Please help - I'm not completely clueless, but this has totally thrown me.
Thank God for my laptop...
Thanks,
Amanda

See if you can boot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while booting).

Now scan for viruses.

"Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I run XP Pro but for a reason unknown to me, everytime I startup and
> log-in, I get an error msg saying something like '...temp/dll file cannot
> be
> found'. The cursor can move around, but the desktop is effectively
> frozen,
> and the eggtimer appears everytime I move to the taskbar. There is also a
> big white 'X' on a red circle on the taskbar where my usual icons used to
> be.
>
> Is this a virus? I am expecting someone to tell me I need to format my
> hard
> drive, but I have no clue how to do that with a frozen desktop!
>
> Please help - I'm not completely clueless, but this has totally thrown me.
> Thank God for my laptop...
> Thanks,
> Amanda

HI Michael,

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your tip - It was indeed a virus.
All seems to be working well now. Thanks again:)

"Michael T" wrote:

> See if you can boot in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a few times while booting).
>
> Now scan for viruses.
>
> "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I run XP Pro but for a reason unknown to me, everytime I startup and
> > log-in, I get an error msg saying something like '...temp/dll file cannot
> > be
> > found'. The cursor can move around, but the desktop is effectively
> > frozen,
> > and the eggtimer appears everytime I move to the taskbar. There is also a
> > big white 'X' on a red circle on the taskbar where my usual icons used to
> > be.
> >
> > Is this a virus? I am expecting someone to tell me I need to format my
> > hard
> > drive, but I have no clue how to do that with a frozen desktop!
> >
> > Please help - I'm not completely clueless, but this has totally thrown me.
> > Thank God for my laptop...
> > Thanks,
> > Amanda

TRENDING THREADS